Nato
Years ago

Anstey's integrity in question

In the Age on the 18th May Anstey is quoted as saying "thats news to me" in relation to Gleeson being stood down.

This is my understanding

26th March - Tigers ask Gleeson to resign
5th April - Anstey appointed Director of Coaching

Anstey's comments "look forward to working with Trevor"

26th April - Tigers release Tregarh and Dillon without consulting Gleeson.
(The reason Dillon is leaving is because of the treatment by the onwers & Anstey have given the coach. Dillon has stated that he enjoyed Gleeson's coaching)

28th April - Anstey acknowledges that he hasn't spoken to Gleeson : Wonder Why?

15th May - Tiger stand down Gleeson to investigate a breach (why wasn't this raised on the 26th March?)

18th May - Anstey quoted in The Age "That's news to me" in relation to Gleeson being stood down

19th May - Dodo backtrack on their earlier denial about the standing down of Gleeson. Anstey is the Director of Basketball, releases Tregarh & Dillon and doesn't know what is going on. HE CAN'T BE SERIOUS!!

Dmac has been silent. Appointed assistant coach but hasn't made contact with the coach. There is no doubt that he and Anstey are in this together.

It is interesting to read threads stating that Gleeson doesnt have the support of the players yet Greer and Dillon recently attended a basketball camp in Warrnambool with Gleeson.

There is no need to question the integrity of the Dodo boys. They do not have any!!

Irespective if you like or dislike Gleeson he is the only person showing any integrity and class.

As a tiger member I am truly disgusted with behaviour of the Owners, Anstey and Dmac.

If Anstey and Dmac coach the Tigers we will not be
renewing our family membership.

Anstey come clean!!

Topic #28422 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The "news to me" comment was about Anstey having the coaching job.

Reply #364476 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It seemed to be about both - the newspaper article left it a little ambiguous:

Anstey said he was unaware of Gleeson's predicament and speculation he was in line for the top job. "That's news to me," he said.

OP, you're pulling your membership based on the coaches? What about the ownership? It all sounds like a complete mess to me and I doubt Gleeson is completely clean, but I'd be lumping far more on the owners than on Anstey and DMac. IMO, Anstey's mostly in a really awkward situation that he got in through his eagerness to coach and believing that the owners would have replaced Gleeson as they (presumably) indicated.

Reply #364481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey is certaintly not an upstanding guy. I wouldn't hire him that's for sure. He knew full well what the situation was and took the job anyway. A decent bloke would take the job only after they came to a settlement with Gleeson. I can assure you Gleeson has done nothing wrong. He understands if they want to go in a different direction. It happens in sport all the time but it's been handled very, very poorly and they've attempted (and failed) to scare him into leaving with nothing by trying to ruin his reputation. Poor form from a poorly run organization.

Reply #364494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on NATO. Something smells fishy.

Reply #364498 | Report this post

Sandles  
Years ago

You can't pay peanuts and not get monkeys.

Once again a PR disaster for a dying competition.

Reply #364502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey and Dmac have been actively recruiting players as we speak.
If I was an NBL Head Coach and had no input into the side I wanted to pick myself, I would never have agreed to do the job in the first place. One expects that at least McPeake gave Gleeson that freedom.

It seems that the new owners have appointed Anstey to do the job that Gleeson was hired to do. Select players that he wanted. The Cairns experiment? Fail.

Gleeson still has an iron clad contract for another two seasons. Let's see what the new owners do to possibly wiggle out of that contract. I for one think that the new regime is possibly worse than the last dictatorship already.

Reply #364517 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

"I would never have agreed to do the job in the first place. One expects that at least McPeake gave Gleeson that freedom."

Are we seriously at the point where people are now praising McPeake ??!!!

Reply #364527 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Anstey has his opinion & it's a very strong one! I like that but it now puts pressure on him. Sink or swim big fella.....

Reply #364539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anyone thinks Anstey is innocent in any of this, they need their head read! What that organization including him, has put the Gleeson family through these past weeks is very low. Just hope for his sake he can actually coach, considering we have no coaching resume to read. At least Gleeson came with credibility and proven success.

Reply #364570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey can't coach and with DMac as his Assistant that's where the coaching knowledge lies.
Undoubtedly, they will return, to the last trainers, poor attitude to hard work that they have always had.
Antey and DMac were typical examples of the Gaze and Westover training people that the Tigers had.
With the talent both those guys had, they could get away with that lax and lazy attitude at training. Players like they have nowadays can't.

From the inside(Anstey and Dmac) out, the Tigers will revert back to those lazy daze.....

Reply #364572 | Report this post

AMAZIN  
Years ago

sandals the NBL is not dying it is actually growing.

Reply #364587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson stabbed Corletto in the back (and acted like he was in the right) and now he has been stabbed in the back. Just karma

Reply #364591 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Ill stay out of this one. from brisbane we aint on top of the information you guys from down south get. its such a shame that a long serving club like the tigers are in this mess. im no tigers fan, but too be honest we all want to see strong clubs and a strong competition.

Reply #364594 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

However, Worthington confesses to have known about this for several months. Can only imagine he got it from his mate Anstey.
Both good at a bit of self-marketing regardless of the costs.

Reply #364600 | Report this post

T-Peezy  
Years ago

Anstey has never had any integrity, always been a snake! I'm not a Tigers supporter but attended their games this year just to watch basketball but the only games I will be attending next season are when my team is playing them and probably the first game in the hope they get their arse kicked so I can watch Anstey fail and feed it to him! Him and the new owners will be worse than McPeake EVER was! Hope he fails miserably cos he's nothing but a lying dog!

Reply #364622 | Report this post

It just doesn't make sense, if the Tigers know what is going on, and the fans know whats going on and the Tigers know the fans know whats going on, why can't they just bring it all out into the opened and say, we messed up, lets just focus on making the Tigers better... we talk about this a whole lot more on our podcast

Hyping the Hoopla
http://www.aussiehoopla.com/hyping-hoopla-ep-2-asian-persuasion/

Check it out!

Reply #364630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A pox on Anstey, Dmac and their new owners that now own both of them. The dodo people need to be black balled by the public and no one use their services.
Anstey will be the token Head Coach, Dmac is lazy, and has no real idea about coaching, when push comes to shove.
Let's hope that next sesaon's side is as bad as the last few seasons sides and the Dodo people walk. They won't like losing money at all the true Tigers fans should equally baulk at attending their home games.

Reply #364649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed. I for one can't believe Tigers fans are putting up with this.

Reply #364663 | Report this post

RumourMunga  
Years ago

Anonymous said
"Dmac is lazy, and has no real idea about coaching, when push comes to shove."

Clearly you are ill informed. DMAC knows how to coach and knows what it takes to be a winner. Clearly your living in your local basketball club as a 4ths coach teaching kids how to pivot......... or the kid that never got picked in the 1's and thought you should of and still wears the head bans!!!

I dont agree with the removal of gleeson, the man can coach and perhaps over achieved with the group he had. In saying that DMAC was always on the Anstey ticket and I for one think its great that the club are getting some of the GREATS back.......

But where is GAZE, why hasnt he come out and put his hand up for the job!!!!

Reply #364929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dmac has to do the coaching. He will never be a head coach. H like Ansyet is a back stabber and make no mistake when the wheels fall off, they will be the first to blame someone else.
Lets not confuse DMac's playing abilitywith coaching. When he last coached the Tigers he had a side that could play. Hell me in my 4ths team could coach them.
You are just another fool, that thinks her can coach based on a few semi successful NBL games.
Clealry if he was that good he would have got the job in the first place. He was never going to get it.

Reply #364990 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:30 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754