Mills
Andersen
Ingles
Newley
Maric
Creek
Ogilvy
Johnson

Am I right in saying that these guys are in Perth training as we speak?

Delly
Barlow
Khazzouh
Nielsen
Worthington
Martin
Crawford
Baynes
Jawai
Wagstaff
Drmic
Motum
Bose
Broekhoff
Gibson
Greenwood
Kickert

Topic #28439 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id love to see some shock additions to the team to shake things up a bit

Reply #364685 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Who would you add though?

Reply #364687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broekoff and drimic

Reply #364689 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

I know Jawai isn't there at the camp, according to his twitter he is on his way to the US for a holiday...I understand his long euro season just finished and he is entitled to a break but is he committed to the boomers program, i never here any comments from him or anyone at BA stating so?? He would be such a great addition to the team, someone different to the other bigs.

Reply #364690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suspect the first week at camp will be to sort out the b team players for youyi games

Reply #364697 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The official list of Boomers in Perth for camp are:

David Barlow / 205cm / Guard/Forward/ 22-10-1983 / Murcia (Spain)
Aron Baynes / 207cm / Centre/ 9-12-1986 / Ikaros Kallitheas (Greece)
Anatoly Bose / 200cm / Guard / 6-12-1988 / Sydney Kings (NBL)
Ryan Broekhoff / 201cm / Guard/Forward / 23-8-1990 / Valparaiso (US College)
Peter Crawford / 193cm / Guard / 6-11-1979 / Townsville Crocodiles (NBL)
Matthew Dellavedova / 1990cm / Guard / 8-9-1990 / St Mary's (US College)
Anthony Drmic / 196cm / Guard / 25-2-1992 / Boise State (US College)
Cody Ellis / 203cm / Forward / 24-4-1990 / Saint Louis (US College)
Adam Gibson / 188cm / Guard / 30-10-1986 / Gold Coast Blaze (NBL)
Hugh Greenwood / 190cm / Guard / 6-3-1992 / New Mexico (US College)
Greg Hire / 201cm / Forward / 19-9-1987 / Perth Wildcats (NBL)
Julian Khazzouh / 209cm / Centre / 23-2-1986 / Sydney Kings (NBL)
Daniel Kickert / 208cm / Forward / 29-3-1983 / PGE Turow (Poland)
Damian Martin / 188cm / Guard / 2-9-1984 / Perth Wildcats (NBL)
Brock Motum / 206cm / Forward / 16-10-1990 / Washington State (US College)
Matt Nielsen / 209cm / Forward / 3-2-1978 / BC Khimki (Russia)
Jesse Wagstaff / 203cm / Forward / 3-4-1986 / Perth Wildcats (NBL)
Mark Worthington / 202cm / Forward / 8-6-1983 / Gold Coast Blaze (NBL)

Reply #364701 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

wow Greg must be wrapped to get a call up even if it is just a training camp.

Reply #364708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg Hire????
Cody Ellis???
wtf!!!!

Reply #364714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Almost a blessing this series isn't going to be on FTA TV. Probably only about five guys there that would make a full strength Boomers team, if that.

Reply #364721 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

This is just camp.. I'd imagine those guys are there mainly because they're Perth locals.

Reply #364731 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anon #364721, can you count?

There's six guys in the squad that went to the 2010 World's.

Then you've got Dellavedova, who is a certainty to go to London.

So that's seven guys in this squad that will probably go to London.

Then you've got guys like Greenwood, Drmic, Bose, Broekoff and Motum, who will be Boomers for the next decade.

I'd love for this series to be on FTA, it will be a great showcase of our talent.

Reply #364734 | Report this post

Leon  
Years ago

Will be vey suprised if delly makes the cut.
International hoops is VERY different to WWC basketball.
Patty, gibbo and damian Martin are a lock.

Reply #364745 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Delly is a near lock at this point and has previously performed well for the Boomers against NZ.

A few WA locals got a call up to help with numbers by the look of it...especially given Creek and Johnson pulled out with injury.

Reply #364747 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Leon, are you serious, or delirious?

Delly was one of our best performers against NZ last year in the Olympic qualifiers, and he also was named all-tournament five in the 2009 Stankovic Cup. And if it wasn't for Brett Brown's brief infatuation with Steven Markovic, I dare say Delly would have gone to the 2010 World Championships, as he tore up the camp just prior to the event. And he's only gotten better and better since then.

He's been around the international hoops scene for a while now, and is as close to a lock for London as there is.

Reply #364753 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think all NBL fans have a much higher opinion of Martin than Coach Brown has, as Martin's minutes in any recent international competition would prove...

I think Martin would be a lock for YouYi series, but he's no chance a lock for London, unfortunately, as we all know what he can do, but maybe Brown wants a more reliable scorer at the PG spot as well as someone who can distribute?

I dunno, the Martin situation is baffling to me...

I'm more interested in the bigs, as with a bunch of regulars out (maybe Jawai is a certain lock for London and that's why he's not bothering with YouYi?) it's finally a chance for Khazzouh to step up and show what he's worth on the international stage. Hopefully he'd get the nod over Kickert, in addition to Baynes and Nielsen...

Hopefully Bose can continue to impress and not just jack up shots as he provides that extra taller outside option that if he can become consistent at, would be really great to see in the team...

So how many are being included in the team for YouYi? 12?

With the 18 listed most recently, cutting Hire, Ellis, as the last additions, Broekhoff, Greenwood, Motum and Drmic as the other youngsters might get the chop also, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Kickert missed out due to the still decent amount of options for the front court with Wortho, Wagstaff, Khazzouh, Nielsen, and Baynes in favour for blooding some future Boomers at this point in time?

We all know that local talent doesn't really mean squat in Brown's eyes in regards to the Olympic teams, but hopefully it does at least for this series as there is certainly some talent that deserves a go...

Reply #364754 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Good points Wookiee. Unfortunately for Martin, it really just comes down to his lack of an outside shot. If he was a career 40% shooter from the new extended three-point line, he'd be a lock for every Aussie team through 2020.

The Jawai situation is puzzling to me. He hasn't played for the Boomers since 2009, and now he gets to go on vacation while everyone else in the squad reports to London (aside from those still in playoff action for their clubs).

The next Boomers camp is June 19-23, just before the Farewell Series. I'm pretty sure our final team for London has to be given to the AOC by June 20, so I can't see how they can pick Jawai for London?

Reply #364760 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Sorry - meant to say above 'everyone reports to Perth' - not London!

Reply #364762 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

If you listen to the abc interview that Brown had on the basketball.net.au website you can pretty much say Delly is just about a lock for London.. he comes out and says that Delly is in his plans for the games(or there abouts since I heard the interview a month ago)

Reply #364765 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

It's not a surprise about Delly, and really, for the next three Olympics, you'd want to get your future team leader as experienced as possible as soon as possible, so while he remains a high quality player I have no qualms about his inclusion, even if it's at the expense of Damo.

I think Damo is a victim of not just HIS outside shooting, but the teams in general. If we had more reliable outside threats we'd be able to burn a PG spot on someone who can't shoot as well from outside.

The Jawai situation is a bit disappointing though, either he thinks he's a lock, or doesn't give a toss about making the team, either which is unfortunate...

Reply #364774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vart, stop spamming the joint can you count?

The only locks there are Barlow, Baynes, Nielsen & Worthington and then maybe Gibson or Martin but probably Gibson.

Sure there might be a chance 1 or 2 others might make it like Delly or Crawford but they're hardly locks.

And, you might lose your mind over anything Boomers related but those of us who have been around awhile remember past series like this, the games are almost unwatchable due to the poor standard of our B or C grade team usually going up against a second string Chinese team. And they're cannon fodder in international basketball just like us.

Reply #364818 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Around a while? Good on you. On this forum maybe, but I've been following the Boomers passionately since 1988. So I've been 'around a while'.

You need to have some more respect for the blokes that pull on the green and gold. Regardless what you think of the series or the opposition, the 12 guys that take the court in the YouYi Games will have put years of blood, sweat and tears into getting the chance to wear Australia across their chest.

Reply #364821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So anon. youve seen past series so you know what this will be like? How many series have you seen between two teams going to the olympics that have been 'unwatchable'? We play the chinese in our pool ffs, theyll have most of their team and we'll have at least 6 or 7 of ours. sounds ok to me

Reply #364822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't see a problem with Jawai having a week or 2 off - he's only just finished his euro season
Clearly this first camp is to decide what group b players are in for the final squad

will narrow this camp to at least 14 for the youyi matches one would think

Reply #364830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nathan's last game was 18 days ago. Completely his choice, not judging him as a person, but if fit and wanting to play at the Olympics he should be there. If Nielsen can commit at 34 yo after 16 days off others can make it too.

Reply #364844 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I agree. If he wanted to be an Olympian, he would be in Perth right now. The prospect of him being included in the squad only came about after confirmation Bogut wouldn't be available.

If it came down to it, they couldn't possibly justify leave Baynes out for Jawai given their extremely differing levels of committment to the national program over the past couple of years.

Reply #364850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You need to have some more respect for the blokes that pull on the green and gold. Regardless what you think of the series or the opposition, the 12 guys that take the court in the YouYi Games will have put years of blood, sweat and tears into getting the chance to wear Australia across their chest.

A Boomers singlet? Mate, I've seen guys like Chris Blakemore & Brett Wheeler play for the Boomers (if I remember correctly Wheels went 0/8 from the line in one game too) against nothing opposition. It's more a question of who hasn't played a game for the Boomers.

The You Yi games last year (with our 2nd or 3rd string side) were dreadful to watch. They were very low standard games.

Reply #364857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You cant honestly compare last years average squad to this years. At least 6 guys in this series will be headed to London, compared with 1 or 2 from last year.

Reply #364884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, pretty un-knowledgeable comparison, particularly given the difference in what the Boomers are preparing for this year and how close the Olympics are.

Reply #364894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe...

Baynes
Nielsen
Barlow
Gibson
Dellavedova

Khazzouh
Worthington
Wagstaff
Crawford
Martin
Kickert
Bose/Broekhoff

Reply #364897 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The "Anonymous Poster" is either a troll or someone who has little comprehension about the Boomers and what they are preparing for...

I would love to see how Bose and Broekhoff in particular go given a chance in this series. Broekhoff for mine is the future, and Bose could be the same as the SG we so dealry lack - and both bring very good three-point shooting ability with them.

Reply #364899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC, aren't you the person that put up Great Britain's roster with five non-existent NBA players?

You're hardly in a position to say I have little comprehension about international basketball!

Reply #364901 | Report this post

;)  
Years ago

Nathan Jawai is at San Antonio for an nba camp with the spurs. They have a mini camp going on. Seen patty mills twitter and they was spending time together. So that's why Jawai is not at camp. Wonder what Brett thinks about that.

Reply #364905 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Troll it is then oh anonymous one! LOL :)

Here is the link in the thread you refer to in question: 2012 London Olympics - Men's Squads

According to the 2012 London FIBA website, from which I cut and pasted the GB squad from, 5 players are listed as being with an NBA team...I initially took the list on face value as I outlined all the squads in reasonably quick succession and overlooked he fact Boateng got cut from Denver before the season started. My bad, but it's also FIBA's bad! I will be sure to double check FIBA's listings in absolute detail just to mkae sure you are happy oh anonymous one! ;)

Reply #364908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

only thing i will agree on is there have been some extremely lacklustre players make the boomers... Russel Hinder? were we ever truly that low on big men that we had to resort to him? Wade Helliwell? Luke Kendall? Scott Macgreggor? i think its safe to say that no one in the current camp does the boomers name such a bad disservice as these guys, however.. i think kickerts times come and gone and from what i have seen of him, hes a dud..

Reply #364923 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Thanks goodness for you LC. I can always rely on you to come on here and talk some sense. I won't waste anymore of everyone's time with that anonymous dribble above.

I completely agree with your assessment of Bose and Broekoff. They will develop into fantastic 2/3 spot players for the Boomers respectively. They address two of our most glaring weaknesses in three point shooting and rebounding. They most likely won't get a ticket to London. With the systematic way Brett Brown has managed this squad over the past three years I just don't see him taking any risks now. Though I hope both Bose and Broekoff get a run in the YouYi Games as they will be Boomers for many years to come post London.

Reply #364927 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

I appreciate the Jawai deserves a rest..and can understand that the chance to test yourself for the NBA summer camps is vital to getting back into the NBA..but a mini summercamp right now with a Spurs team thats in the middle of a playoffs...none of the coaching staff on playoff teams will even be paying any attention to any player in the pre-summer camps...you would have many more eyes on you at the Olympics if you played well..the only NBA summer camps that will matter for NBA Coaches and scouts will be the ones on (unfortunaltely) at the same time the boomers will be in full training mode

Reply #364932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to the 2012 London FIBA website, from which I cut and pasted the GB squad from, 5 players are listed as being with an NBA team...I initially took the list on face value as I outlined all the squads in reasonably quick succession and overlooked he fact Boateng got cut from Denver before the season started. My bad, but it's also FIBA's bad! I will be sure to double check FIBA's listings in absolute detail just to mkae sure you are happy oh anonymous one! ;)

btw you forgot the other one, they've only got three NBA players! Egg meet face. Hopefully next time you won't just cut & paste (spam the blog) with incorrect stuff.

And no I'm not a troll just not someone that came down in the last shower (I'm the same guy that wasted my time on that Vart kid above).

Reply #364938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before I forget whilst I admit this year's YouYi squad is a bit better than last year's here is the performances from the team last year.

*The boxscore of the Boomers 63-57 Game 2 win over China in Singapore was never made publicly available*

Game 1-Aus 67 d China 65 (OT)

The Boomers shot 32% from the field and 15% on 3p. China shot just 29% from the field and 32% on 3p. Only three players from both teams combined scored double figures.

Aus:

L. Nevill 20p, 13r, 4b, 6/13 fg

D. Martin 11p, 8r, 5a, 4t, 5/12 fg, 1/2 3p, 0/3 ft

B. Madgen 0p, 1r, 0/3 fg, 0/1 3p

R. Martin 2p, 1a, 3t, 1/1 fg

D. Dillon 4p, 3r, 1/1 fg

P. Crawford 0p, 2r, 2a, 0/8 fg, 0/7 3p

A. Bose 6p, 2r, 2t, 2/3 fg, 1/1 3p

D. Barlow 8p, 5a, 3r, 4t, 1/6 fg, 0/3 3p

J. Wagstaff 6p, 3r 1/5 fg, 0/1 3p

A. Baynes 7p, 4r, 2b, 3/4 fg

D. Kickert 3p, 6r, 2t, 1/9 fg, 1/5 3p

C. Steindl DNP

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/13/03/68/70/666J0lxQGdvbo/

Reply #364943 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

And you reckon we're spamming the blog? Give it a rest pal. Stop wasting your time. I 100% disagree with you, let's leave it at that.

Reply #364951 | Report this post

Leon  
Years ago

Vart, ha.

Reply #365273 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Barlow joined the squad for tonight's training...

Reply #365411 | Report this post

serious?  
Years ago

The anon above is completely out of his depth. An international game that is low scoring with low shooting percentages. Who would have thought? I think you did come down in the last shower.

Reply #365412 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

does anyone know when Brett Brown and patty will be joining team now that spurs season is over.

Reply #365431 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754