Isaac
Years ago

NBL season to tip-off October 5

The 2012/13 National Basketball League season will tip-off on Friday October 5, with reigning title-holders the New Zealand Breakers set to hoist their second consecutive championship banner to the rafters of North Shore Events Centre in Auckland on Opening Night of the iiNet NBL Championship.

The Breakers will have the honour of tipping-off the new season with a home game against 2012 Semi Finalists, the Gold Coast Blaze, at the North Shore Events Centre in Auckland.
For 36ers fans, first proper look at the new team will be Adelaide hosting Melbourne (and Ballinger) on October 7:
Traditional combatants the Adelaide 36ers and Melbourne Tigers will meet at Adelaide Arena on Sunday 7 October, with prodigal son Luke Schenscher making his highly-anticipated return for the Sixers. Adam Ballinger will also make his first appearance for the Melbourne Tigers in that clash against his former club.

Full schedule (PDF)

Melbourne's home games are all venue TBC. More Vector appearances for the Breakers. Anything else interesting you can spot in there?

Topic #28444 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

7 Sunday arvo games and only 1 home game in the last six rounds of the season.

Reply #364791 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

One of Sydney away games in at the State Sports Centre, don't know if this is a mistake or not as I can't see any other Sydney game being played there

Reply #364796 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Taips v Crocs Oct 6th at CCC - Skinning time !!!

Reply #364797 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Skip, I am guessing there are more Sunday games to coincide with the amended broadcast deal?

Reply #364798 | Report this post

Doubledoubs  
Years ago

Melb 2 home sat games....

Reply #364799 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It's funny how the Taipans / Crocs rivalry is all one way. I root for the taipans as my second team and so do lots of Crocs fans...

Reply #364801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate Sunday games - won't be renewing after seeing that schedule.

Reply #364804 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I dont mind Sunday games too much. I prefer Friday night games.

We have a strech at one point fo 9 home games in 10 rounds which is all through the School holidays, so that should be good for crowd numbers.

Really don't like the fact that we only play at home once in the last 6 rounds. We would need to be well entrenched in the Top 4 before that run to hold our spot.

I notice Perth dont have a home game in the forst six rounds (Due to their new arena I presume). That gives them a home game though in 9 of the last 10 rounds. Massive advantage heading into the playoffs IMO.

Reply #364806 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Also, is it just me or do well always seems to finish our season in Woollongong?

Reply #364807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To not renew based on schedule is signs of a weak half hearted supporter IMO. If the team was bad again and the powers that be had made no effort to upgrade things, thats perhaps reason enough, but to not like the schedule enough to not renew is a first ive heard of.

Reply #364814 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not every supporter is the same. Some are interested but not fanatics. Some may work on Sundays or have other engagements and a club needs both fanatics and 'half-hearted' supporters alike to stay alive.

Reply #364820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly Isaac

Reply #364823 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The State Sports Centre game is likely because a promoter has hired the Syd Ent Centre for a concert..

Anyone notice all the Melbourne games have TBA?

Reply #364828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skip although Friday night games are appealing to the diehard basketball fan, fact of the matter is that Adelaide United have the majority of their home games on a friday night. Seeing as though we have lower crowd numbers than the Reds, we wouldn't want to be competing with them for 50/50 fans. Smart decision by the NBL (can't believe I'm saying that haha) by giving us more Sunday arvo games. Hopefully there aren't too many clashes this year between Adelaide United and the Sixers because if there are, I can definitely see the Sixers being on the worse end of it crowd numbers wise.

Reply #364831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the NBL season isn't starting during footy finals time this year. Someone's been thinking.

Reply #364834 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

It didnt last year either.

Reply #364838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - I've been a season ticket holder for the past 13 years so dont think you can call me a half hearted supporter. I'm not able to attend Sunday games so to have that many scheduled on a Sunday means I won't be renewing. I'll just pick out some games during the year I can attend.

Reply #364840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers looking to split games between Cage and Hisense. Negotiations ongoing with Hisense.

Reply #364842 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

Just had a look at the schedule... SERIOUSLY NBL????

Are you kidding me! Why the hell do we have so many bloody Sunday games.

Its fricken ridiculous...

Thanks for cutting down out membership supporting base even more!

Reply #364848 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Sounds like the 36ers be on Channel Ten quite a bit by the looks of that schedule

Reply #364860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the best NBL draw in a long long time.

Most games on Fridays and Saturdays, no Sunday games start after 4pm, apart from NYE and NZ's usual Thurs there are only two midweek games (both Perth v Adelaide in Perth?), and good games for the live TV game on Sundays.

Not perfect, but whoever did it did a super job.

Reply #364861 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The distinct lack of Saturday games in general for the NBL is disappointing though

Reply #364862 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Potential 36ers TV Games (bold for only match scheduled on that day) **NZ Televised Games:

7/10/2012 Adelaide v Melbourne (Sunday) 1:30PM
28/10/2012 Adelaide v Perth (Sunday) 1:30 PM
4/11/2012 Sydney v Adelaide (Sunday) 2:00 PM
11/11/2012 Adelaide v Gold Coast 1:30 PM(Sunday)
16/11/2012 New Zealand v Adelaide 7:30 PM (Friday)**
25/11/2012 Melbourne v Adelaide 2:00 PM (Sunday)
2/12/2012 Adelaide v New Zealand 1:30 PM (Sunday)
28/12/2012 Adelaide v Townsville 7:30 PM (Friday)
4/01/2013 Adelaide v Townsville 7:30 PM (Friday)
13/01/2013 Adelaide v Sydney 1:30 PM (Sunday)
17/01/2013 New Zealand v Adelaide 7:30 PM (Thursday)**
20/01/2013 Adelaide v New Zealand 1:30 PM (Sunday)
27/01/2013 Gold Coast v Adelaide 1:00 PM (Sunday)
10/02/2013 Adelaide v Melbourne 1:30 PM (Sunday)

We can make pretty easily establish that the only game on a Sunday or a Friday will be the ones televised, and we can make an educated guess that any game scheduled between 12:30-2PM on a Sunday might be broadcasted (opposed to 3-4PM games which may clash with the News)

We go the entirety of March without a TV game which is a bit of a bummer.

36ers are looking at a minimum of 8 games broadcasted

Reply #364869 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Are you kidding me! Why the hell do we have so many bloody Sunday games.
Doug, the club might have requested Sunday games? Drafts are always put to clubs for negotiations.

Might be that the 36ers think that TV games are valuable in pitches to corporates.

Reply #364871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the 2pm Sunday option, 4 pm sucked that wass no mans time.
I can hit the piss Friday's and Saturdays and just get up in time to go to the game Sunday
Perfect

Reply #364881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No homes games in late Feb - March has its upside.... Lots on in Adelaide that time of year, hard to complete against fringe, clipsal, TDU etc.

Reply #364898 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Guys, the schedule is driven by TV.

Why are games at 2pm Sunday not 4pm Sunday - because of the new TV arrangement.

Why are there so many Sunday games - because of the new TV arrangement.

Why are there so few Saturdays generally - because... you get it?

Moving games on a Sunday from 4pm to 2pm isn't because someone is a genius, its because of broadcast times.

I haven't looked but someone said Adelaide had 9 home games in 10 weeks. If that is true you guys should be screaming about how bad that is. your occasional fans will have 36ers fatigue four games into this stretch, unless the team is on afterburners.

If its true you only have one home game in the last six weeks then you should be screaming about that too. That's appalling.

I am not criticising the scheduler, because it must be a bitch of a job in a league where generally venues see you as their least most important product. But from what I've read here, Adelaide have a poor fixture.

Reply #364904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally, I love the Sunday games. I'm usually busy on Friday or Saturday nights, so this works perfect for me.

Reply #364909 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Perth have heaps of friday home games,probably to attract people after work seeing the new arena is located in the city.

As for the Breakers can they please play at Vector full time and get rid of the North Shore Events Centre.

Reply #364912 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

One thing I've noticed about the draw:

We play 3 of the 4 finalists (including the two teams from the GF series) on the road twice and at home only once.

Typical of the NBL using the 36ers as the league's whipping boy.

Reply #364914 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

7 Sunday games is a joke who cares about tv right in small market like Adelaide that's right so we can see replays at 10.30 woohoo. After committing to renew my season tickets I now can't get to half the season bloody ridiculous, I don't mind missing a couple af games because of an even draw I can live with that but half a season I am pissed with wasting a bucket load of money for a product I now can not get to because of a lopsided draw.

Reply #364922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually Adelaide is the 4th biggest Tv market in the NBL.....

Reply #364930 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

Adelaide has one of the best attendant record in the NBL, we had such high numbers in the 2011/12 season..

We will now suffer majorly with all these Sunday games.

Reply #364935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love no games in March, hated the clashes with Fringe last year and couldn't get to any games...however..hate, hate the amount of Sunday games. I train my district team in that timeslot, so no way I'm getting season tickets. Had tickets 9 of the past 10 seasons, so another two ticket holders gone now.

Reply #364936 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Yep another down vote for the Sunday games, hate them. Oh well.

Reply #364941 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anonymous #364814

To not renew based on schedule is signs of a weak half hearted supporter IMO.

That has to be one of the least thought out comments to make. How can you even pretend to know whether a schedule suits someone else or not. It might be good for some, but if others cannot make 7 Sunday games in one season, it hardly warrants buying a season ticket, whether you are a half hearted fan or a full hearted fan. I am annoyed with so many Sunday games as well because I have other things scheduled on a regular basis on this day. What also annoys me is the number of Sunday games. It is the dominant day throughout the season with very few Saturday night games. This is a sign that the NBL is considered to be such a minor attraction that they either cannot command prime time bookings at the major city venues (or cannot afford them) or the TV scheduling will only show the games on non peak viewing times. Sorry, this does very little to promote the game.

Reply #364945 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac,

Doug, the club might have requested Sunday games? Drafts are always put to clubs for negotiations.

Might be that the 36ers think that TV games are valuable in pitches to corporates.

I can't think of anything less likely than people attending a Sunday afternoon game than people actually sitting in front of the television watching a Sunday afternoon game.

Reply #364946 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I like Sunday games. Saturday nights in the lead up to Christmas is a nightmare of clashes and missed social functions/basketball games.

Reply #364956 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I like the Sunday games, I have a young daughter who can't attend games on Friday or Saturdays because she gets to tired, but Sunday Games are a lot better for her. Maybe the sixers are trying to make it more family friendly.

Reply #364962 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Last Season Averages

Fridays (3x) - 4115
Saturdays (8x) - 5313
Sundays (3x) - 4832

So although I personally prefer Fridays, they arent all that popular overall.

Saturdays number were boosted a bit by the Patty Mills Tigers game and the following game (after the exciting win). They were the only games to have 6000+ crowds. Take out those two games and the average drops to 5023 for Saturdays.

Reply #364973 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think Sunday games will bring in more of the casual viewers as Sunday afternoons can be quite boring.....where as die hard fans will go no matter what day or night it is on!

Reply #364997 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Skip, I think those numbers would differ again if there wasn't the pressure to attend games brought on by the fact you own pre paid season tickets. Sunday afternoon games in my opinion would suffer if everyone attending had to buy a ticket on the day.

Reply #365004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

skip,

3 of those saturday games were also double headers.

Do you know if these games were above or below the average?

Reply #365016 | Report this post

hierachy81  
Years ago

Fan-bloody tastic draw I say. So many sunday games and at 1.30pm???? Whats with that? Night games are easy to go to but as a shiftworker, thats really awful. I like going and like the 36ers, but the draw is awful and really......i dont see the point of going if half the games are on a sunday. its night games for me, or bust.

Reply #365021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the Sunday afternoon games, I think theyll be popular. It's a very traditional sports slot.

Reply #365035 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Doesn't matter when the games where scheduled, someone would have complained.

Reply #365042 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Whoever does the draw will never win.
How many times in recent years have we read complaints about too many Friday night games which can't be attended due to Junior games?
Now an option to this doesn't suit "all"- I guess time will tell and re-assess at the end of season

Reply #365048 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Sunday games are great. Who ever has anything to do on a Sunday?

Friday and Saturday nights are always full of alternative things to do.

Reply #365062 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

Well here's a newsflash for Adelaide!!

"I think Sunday games will bring in more of the casual viewers as Sunday afternoons can be quite boring"

Reply #365109 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Not happy with the Sunday games. Have other stuff to do in that time slot.

Reply #365780 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:32 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754