TR
Years ago

Basketball Quotes

Basketball Quotes

I saw what the governor makes. That's like four hands of blackjack."
-- Charles Barkley on why he wasn't seriously considering becoming the Governor of Alabama

We'll see how the game goes. If they're scoring, keep feeding them. If they're missing, then I'll do me. That's talent. I'm multitalented. Like Bo Jackson!"
-- Gilbert Arenas answering a question about whether he would be a distributor or a scorer against the Bulls tonight.

"There's always going to be criticism when your name is Jalen. You have to wear a bulletproof vest and be ready for it."
-- Jalen Rose

"Like I told the guys earlier, once he turns 21 and is able to drink, it's over."
-- Jalen Rose after LeBron James scored 56 on the Raptors

"I had an awful first quarter but I picked it up. To all you single guys out there, it's not how you start the date, it's how you finish the date."
-- Shaquille O'Neal after dropping 30 points in a win over the Knicks on Saturday

"There's Fredo, there's Sonny and there's Michael. The Godfather handed it over to Michael. I have no problem handing it over to Dwyane."
-- Shaquille O'Neal on comparing Penny Hardaway and Kobe Bryant to Dwyane

"I'm tellin' ya man, to be able to stroke it like that must be some kind of feeling"
-- Dick Vitale on J.J. Redick's ability to hit 3s

"I don't think he's going to have a lot of fun over the next 31 games... But it could be worse. He could be going to the Clippers."
-- Bill Fitch on interim Timberwolves coach Kevin McHale

"It's been kind of hard, I'm labeled as a jerk right now, you know what I mean? But I love it. I've been a jerk all my life. My momma loves this jerk. My kids love this jerk. I'm going to be a jerk in a good way, though. I'm going to be a jerk to the other teams and just go out there and play basketball. I can do that."
-- Stephen Jackson, Pacers

"Rick Brunson AND Quentin Ross? That's their starting backcourt? Did we actually have to pay for these tickets?"
-- Spectator at Saturday night's Warriors-Clippers game, as they were announcing the starting lineups at the Staples Center

"I feel terrible. I didn't think he had it in him."
-- Tracy McGrady after his rottweiler bit a maintenance engineer's nose off.

"Wow, he's been on our side all night!"
-- Bulls announcer Johnny Kerr, commenting on a Mark Blount airball during Blount's historic triple-zero (0 points, 0 blocks and 0 rebounds in 22 minutes last night)

"I think it's a great city . I think it's a fabulous city. But in my young juvenile days, I was an idiot and I bought 30 cars. And I need to drive those cars and New York isn't really the place you can do that."
-- Shaquille O'Neal on why he never wants to play for the Knicks

"I eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich before every game. Whoever invented that was smart. That's got to be one of the best sandwiches ever."
-- Bulls rookie Ben Gordon

"You don't trust your girlfriend when you first get with her. I mean, you've been with her one month. What, you ready to get married? You trust her already? You've got to do a background check."
-- Paul Pierce on the Celtics learning to trust one another.

"When I watch NBA games, I think to myself, 'How will I look in the game there?' I expect to do something there. I don't want to be a donkey."
-- Darko Milicic in the June 23rd, 2003 issue of ESPN the Magazine.

"I've got to stop this. My entourages are getting entourages."
-- Jalen Rose, on the trouble finding tickets for everyone when he returns to Detroit.

"I'm hunting for little Mexican girls."
-- Karl Malone's reponse at a Lakers-Bucks game three weeks, after Kobe Bryant's wife noticed his cowboy boots and asked him, "Hey, Cowboy, what are you hunting for?"

"Ten. It can't get to 11. If it gets to 11, then I'll be sitting with Ron Artest."
-- Paul Pierce after being asked how frustrated he was with the Celtics season on a scale of 1 to 10.

"I have never seen a fight like that in a game since I was in high school."
Quentin Richardson on the Pacers-Pistons melee.

"Yes it was unanimous, 1-0, and I won."
-- NBA commissioner David Stern, after being asked whether the vote to suspend Ron Artest for the season was unanimous

"There are two ways to argue with a woman, and neither of them work."
-- Carlos Boozer after cancelling an interview with a Sports Illustrated reporter because his wife was expecting him home.

"Last season, we thought we could beat you. This season, we're going to strap it on."
-- Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke

"I think I'll get along real well with Brad. I can see us really going at it in practice every day, then going out and killing something to eat."
-- Greg Ostertag on new Kings teammate Brad Miller

"Some days you are going to be some place. Some days you can be moved tomorrow."
-- Kelvin Cato

"I don't know what to expect right now, but we as players have to do what we've got to do to make sure that the pot is spread equally."
-- Jim Jackson on a new collective bargaining agreement

Some of my favorites for non-hoopers:

"Whenever I see a homeless guy, I always run back and give him money, because I think, 'Oh my God, what if that was Jesus?'"
--Pamela Anderson in TV Guide

"When my brain exploded, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I have such a better life now."
-- Sharon Stone

"I ain't the same person I was when I bit that guy's ear off."
-- Mike Tyson

"We have a lot of stars, just no one you've ever heard of."
-- 49ers GM Terry Donahue

"When you're in the public eye, it's wrong to cheat on someone, unless you're very careful. If you're normal and no one's going to know, then do it."
-- Paris Hilton

Topic #2846 | Report this topic

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

"Your worth two bucks"
--Milwaukee fans comment to Charles Barkley,just before Sir Charles broke his nose!

Reply #32295 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

For a bevvy of basketball quotes, hit Basketball Highway website. Then follow the link to quotes.

Reply #32297 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

That JJ Redick one is gold !!

Reply #32303 | Report this post

hilltop hoods  
Years ago

"I don't know what to expect right now, but we as players have to do what we've got to do to make sure that the pot is spread equally."
-- Jim Jackson on a new collective bargaining agreement

I had to read this one a few times before I got the joke. Gold, the NBA editing department didnt pick that one up.

Reply #32304 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

"I'm hoping to help turn this team around 360 degrees."
--Jason Kidd after being drafted to the Suns.

Reply #32314 | Report this post

coach like a pro.com

Reply #32329 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

"Even Michael Jordan likes to be told he played a good game of basketball"

Reply #32333 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Barkely is a classic!!

Reply #32340 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I don't think were playing that badly, teams are just outscoring and outplaying us at the moment- Don Chaney

Great Post TR!

One Gold Logie for you!

Reply #32342 | Report this post

Tyler  
Years ago

"I would like to thank my parents, especially my mother and father."
- Greg Norman

Reply #32348 | Report this post

Sniper  
Years ago

"I love New York City; I've got a gun."

"I think the team that wins Game 5 will win the series. Unless we lose Game 5."
- both from Charles Barkley

"Chemistry is a class you take in high school or college, where you figure out two plus two is 10, or something."
- Dennis Rodman on Chicago Bull's team chemistry being overrated.

"We're just physically not physical enough."
- Denny Crum, Louisville basketball coach

"I have a God-given talent. I got it from my dad."
- Julian Wakefield, Missouri basketball player

"I want to rip out his heart and feed it to him. I want to kill people. I want to rip their stomachs out and eat their children." [on Lennox Lewis] -- Mike Tyson

"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing - but none of them serious."
- Alan Minter, Boxer

"Pitching is 80% of the game. The other half is hitting and fielding."
- Mickey Rivers, baseball player

"I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."
- Alicia Silverstone, Actress

"Most cars on our roads have only one occupant, usually the driver."
- Carol Malia, BBC Anchorwoman

"It is white."
- George W. Bush, when asked what the White house was like by a student in East London

"I have opinions of my own --strong opinions-- but I don't always agree with them."
- George Bush, former U.S. President

"Solutions are not the answer."
- Richard Nixon, former U.S. President

goodquotes.com (",)

Reply #32355 | Report this post

The Taperoo Kid  
Years ago

How about the Toronto Raptors GM qoute when marijuana was legalised in Canada
"its' great, we have the hottest ticket in town - every player will want to play here now!"

Reply #32392 | Report this post

Buffalo  
Years ago

Are you serious? You stole these from The Sports Guy and his "Quote of the Day Archive" over on ESPN.com (I found it especially poignant when you changed his fathers quote to be from "a spectator.") For shame!

See for yourselves.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/quotes/archive&num=0

Reply #35878 | Report this post

Brandon Charles  
Years ago

" whenever I want to get away from the world, i think of one place, and one place only, and thats the basketball court"

Reply #157061 | Report this post

Brandon Charles  
Years ago

"self-discipline, the key to winning on the court, and the key to winning on the court, is the key to winning out there"

Reply #157062 | Report this post

Will  
Years ago

"I'll always remember this as the night that Michael Jordan and I combined for 70 points."
- Stacey King after Jordan scored 69 points against the Cavs

Reply #157067 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:10 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754