D-RAV
Years ago

Ben Simmons stars at Pangos All American

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/boys-basketball/post/_/id/5660/quick-shots-more-from-pangos

FOR VIDEOS, HERE (he's seen @ 2:40 - 2:50)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47zXuTgWzjA

Topic #28472 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

High riser from Down Under

The player who created the biggest buzz at the Pangos Camp wasn't Cliff Alexander, the first underclassmen ever to earn camp Most Outstanding Player honors, but 6-foot-8 Ben Simmons, a 2015 prospect from Australia. A smooth lefty with the ability to play both forward positions, Alexander turned heads with his touch around the basket and his knack for being around the ball in the correct spots on the floor.

There is no doubt Simmons, who attends Box Hill in Melbourne, Australia, will be a high major college basketball player. The big question at camp was what American high school he'll eventually end up at. The rumors are rampant, but Simmons told ESPNHS the plan is to play one more year Down Under before heading to the states.

"The camp was good for me," Simmons said. "It was good to see where I'm at compared to the other top players. The game is more up-tempo and more athletic here. In Australia, just one or two of the players can dunk, but here even the point guards can."

As far as colleges, Simmons obviously doesn't have a list right now, but he's most familiar with Duke. He stated there are not many televised college basketball games in Australia, but mentioned the Blue Devils and Texas as the schools he's most familiar with.

I read a favourable report on Simmons also from the same came I think on Rival?

Reply #365465 | Report this post

abc123  
Years ago

Excuse my ignorance but what is this camp? What is the quality of it? What is the purpose?

Would Simmons really go play high school ball in US? Doesnt that exclude him from all junior international team selections for Australia?

Also the last big name kid to go came back and hasnt done anything since as far as im aware

Reply #365477 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Pangos is a tournament that features many of the top prospects in US. Hence it is flooded by scouts from many high major schools.

I believe Ben has left AIS as he couldn't settle into the regimen. I have followed Ben for a lil while now and absolutely expect him to make it all the way.

I do believe he's heading US for high school and go from there.

Reply #365481 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Nate Tomlinson played high school ball in the US and still played for Aus at 2007 u19 world champs, and NZ's Steven Adams plays high school and still will play for NZ at next years 19s champs

Reply #365495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC can you tell me when this camp was held ? Looks like some of these kids may be in the running for USA selection - would that be right ?

Reply #365519 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

And check out the dude @2:17 in the vid ...

7' 5" (that's 226 cm folks) ... wow, the dude just about bangs his head on the bottom of the rim when he jumps !

Reply #365520 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Camp was held from 1st to 3rd June...

Reply #365527 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Pango's is a big deal. Way to represent Australia at the event! his style of play is well suited to that of the US game so he'll only improve by playing High school ball there.

Reply #365643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Vs Chiir ?

Reply #365804 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754