Isaac
Years ago

Boomers YouYi team named

David BARLOW / 205cm / Guard/Forward/ 22-10-1983 / Murcia (Spain)

Aron BAYNES / 207cm / Centre/ 9-12-1986 / Ikaros Kallitheas (Greece)

Ryan BROEKOFF / 201cm / Guard/Forward / 23-8-1990 / Valparaiso (US College)

Peter CRAWFORD / 193cm / Guard / 6-11-1979 / Townsville Crocodiles (NBL)

Matthew DELLAVEDOVA / 1990cm / Guard / 8-9-1990 / St Mary's (US College)

Hugh GREENWOOD / 190cm / Guard / 6-3-1992 / New Mexico (US College)

Adam GIBSON / 188cm / Guard / 30-10-1986 / Gold Coast Blaze (NBL)

Julian KHAZZOUH / 209cm / Centre / 23-2-1986 / Sydney Kings (NBL)

Daniel KICKERT / 208cm / Forward / 29-3-1983 / PGE Turow (Poland)

Damian MARTIN / 188cm / Guard / 2-9-1984 / Perth Wildcats (NBL)

Matt NIELSEN / 209cm / Forward / 3-2-1978 / BC Khimki (Russia)

Mark WORTHINGTON / 202cm / Forward / 8-6-1983 / Gold Coast Blaze (NBL)

Topic #28477 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dissapointed Drmic missed out but Greenwood must be just ahead of him right now

Reply #365526 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Dellavedova's height is impressive for a guard.

Reply #365529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha yeah i noticed that too

Reply #365530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul is kickert really that good?

Reply #365531 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Greenwood has played with the Boomers program previously and this would have been a distinct advantage. Good to see him get a crack.

This is Crawford's big chance to put a case forward for inclusion in the Olympic squad.

For mine, the exciting inclusion is up and comer Ryan Broekhoff - reigning Horizon Leagie Conference Player of the Year. He is a serious athlete that does what is needed of the team, but he has a sweet stroke from well beyond the arc, and is willing to get dirty in the paint and rebound - both being current weaknesses of the team.

Khazzouh will be out to show what he can offer in comparison to sat Baynes and/or Maric.

Kickert would have to have a blinder of a series to get into contention for the final Boomers team for London.

Reply #365532 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Kickert can shoot from beyond the arc, which is one of our weaknesses, but he is not a strong rebounder and does not have much of a defensive presence...

Reply #365533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic has been apart of the boomers before too though LC.

Surely a 6'6 guard with great handles, perimeter shot, defence (Drmic) would have been a better option over Greenwood??

Reply #365534 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

My question is how many of these players will make the final Olympic squad.. maybe 7-8?

Drmic and Broekhaff would've been fighting for the same spot on the team in my opinion, and right now Ryan is just a better player going by the past season in the NCAA. As for Greenwood, maybe he just showed more in the past week which got him the nod, he was hampered by a high ankle sprain for alot of the NCAA season and might be close to 100% again

Reply #365537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say 7.

Delly
Barlow
Khazzouh (I'd like him over Baynes but thats just my opinion)
Nielsen
Worthington
Martin
Crawford

Reply #365538 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re Kickert: what LC said, in the squad because he is a 6'10 perimeter threat. Prob the closest NBL equivalent is Oscar Forman.

Reply #365539 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Will be there tomorrow, row 4 centre court!

For those of you who don't have foxtel;

http://freezone.iinet.net.au/channels/freezone/sport/boomers-basketball

Reply #365540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickert being included in the squad is a bit suspect in my opinion. Unless he's improved immensely since last time out in a Boomers uniform there's no point in including him. Barring any injuries he's probably not a realistic shot at the Olympic squad anyway. We already have Nielson and Worthington as veterans, I would've loved to see another young player being blooded in the forward spot like Motum who had a breakout season this year and plays quite similar to Kickert in arguably a similar or even better standard league (polish league). But i guess I'm juding from a computer in Melbourne and haven't seen the trials personally, he really must have impressed the coaches to get another crack. Good luck to him really, I hope he can bring something different to the team in the 4 spot which is easily our weakest position at the moment.

Reply #365541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont need an ipod to watch a podcast do ya?

also... Broekoff is my favourite addition here... just the kind of player we need, hope he doesnt get overlooked for 'experience' in the london team when all our 'experienced' players frank;y cant shoot for shit outside the 3.

Reply #365542 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

Crawford won't be in London, enjoy Perth mate!

Reply #365548 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Id say Broekoff and Drmic would have been going for the same position (Swingman type players, both similar height etc)

But with that been said I would have liked to see Drmic over Greenwood, simply because the Boomers need more players who are able to play 2/3 man (and who have good height)

Too many 'combo type guards' in there with Greenwood, Gibson, Delly and Martin.

I like the inclusion of PC because he is a legit 2 man, and the Boomers need more of those types of players.

Reply #365551 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Anonymous #365542
You don't need a iPod to listen to a podcast. Just an internet connection.

The freezon (http://freezone.iinet.net.au/channels/freezone/sport/boomers-basketball) is something the NBL is looking at for possible NBL games in the future as well. I'm not 100% how far they are with it, but it has been thrown around.

Reply #365555 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

does that team look incredibly slow??

also think that if that team faced decent opposition would the offense be easily stagnated??

would it be right to say that team would rely heavily on neilson inside and our shooters having on nights?

Reply #365557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ well on the up[side this is only the team V china and ikd expecr ro easily crush them

Reply #365559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ well on the up[side this is only the team V china and ikd expecr ro easily crush them

Reply #365560 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Do you need an iinet connection for that stream? If so, any alternative streams?

Reply #365563 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Nope, that stream is free on any ISP

Reply #365564 | Report this post

SoCalLobo  
Years ago

After the US college season, I posted here that Greenwood is better than Drmic (they both play in the Mountain West Conference, rated the 5th strongest last season). I feel vindicated. In addition to the abilities he had before the US season (rebounding for a guard, passing, ball-handling, shooting), his defense has improved and he is now more comfortable with the US speed of play. His college stats didn't stand out because he played on a team stacked with guards who can play.

Reply #365567 | Report this post

Des  
Years ago

So who starts from this group? Assuming you start your best 5

Boring Basketball Australia goes with;

Gibson (never got this?)
Martin
Barlow (jet lag) or Worthington
Neilsen
Baynes
?
Crap.

I like to Delladova ahead of either guards, 3,4 and 5 spots are good

Reply #365568 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #365569 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #365570 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #365571 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

starters

dellavedova
crawford
barlow
neilsen
baynes

Reply #365573 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Can anyone hit an open shot for the Boomers?

Reply #365593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a complete embarassment... some of these players should be counted out solely by this 1 game..

gibson, go home
Khazzouhm, you too
crawford... on ya bike
Kickert.. i never ever wanna see you in the green and gold again

Reply #365603 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Crawford scored 21 points..why should he be on his bike?

I live in NZ so didn't see the game.

Can you explain why he should be going?

Reply #365651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you can discount their comment once they said some players should be counted out on this game alone. Clearly just a frustrated fan. The first praccy of any season is rarely pretty.

Reply #365659 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Why is there so much love for gibson on the court he gets so much more time than martin but is he really the better player? its questionable. Would have liked to see greenwood hit the court hopefully will get some action in games 2 and 3.

Reply #365668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB I wrote that just before the 4th quater.... lol

in essence Crawford just proved why hes being considered and why, I believe he will squeak through now. No one else can hit a shot... hes the only person who, when they shoot you think its more likely to go in then just brick. for that reason alone he should squeak in for the 8-12 spot.

At the moment I think the squad still picks itself.

Patt Mills
Brad Newley
Joe Ingles
David Barlow
Aleks Maric
Dellevadova
Mark Worthington
Aaron Baynes
David Anderson

I think thoes positions are absolutely locked in. theres still some movement for the last spots but i thjink the rest Will be

Neilsen
Crawford
Gibson

However, I would prefer the rest of the team was

Jawai (if only he would PLAY)
crawford
Greenwood or Broekoff ( i would prefer Broehkoff for his 3 point shooting which he never got the chance to show last night)

Reply #365671 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I like that squad myself Anon...and I would have liek to have seen Broekhoff get some decent burn to show what he can provide to the team. There is still hope in games 2 and 3.

Nielsen will be a lock though - current captain and Brown's favourite.

Reply #365672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drmic had his appendix out two days ago.

Reply #365735 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Was Drmic affected by that during the camp? I thought appendicitis can take a while to develop, but the painful stage of the infection usually flares up quickly.

Reply #365902 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:56 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754