Logan
Years ago

More Boomers News

Found this article on a NBA news site. Good to see that the US is slightly interested in the Boomers and Bogut. Sounds like Maher and Catt are destined for bench duties, although both could still get decent minutes.

BOOMERS coach Brian Goorjian has virtually settled on his starting line-up for the Olympics and has earmarked guard Jason Smith for a key defensive role.

Most of the 12-man squad left Sydney today for pre-Olympic tournaments in Belgrade and Italy where its opposition will include China, Serbia and Montenegro, Angola, Brazil and Italy.

Goorjian said he would use the tournaments to experiment with his rotations, but intended going with the same starting line up which finished the recent three-Test series against New Zealand.

Smith and captain Shane Heal will start in the backcourt with Glen Saville and Matthew Nielsen as the forwards and teenager Andrew Bogut at centre.

"I don't see any movement there unless there's an injury or somebody's performances are really poor in the lead-up games and I'm certainly not counting on that," Goorjian said today at Sydney Airport.

With prolific points scoring guard Andrew Gaze retired from international competition Heal said other players including Bogut, who he rated a potential "superstar" would have to contribute offensively.

Topic #285 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

Although Saville deserves a starting spot, I would of thought Cattalini would be better suited with his experience. I can see why Smith would start with Heals offense but I think Maher should split the time with him. Who is our other centre besides Bogut? That is a big job for a teenager in his first Olympics.

Reply #2177 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Cattalini should definitely start ahead of Saville.

I don't mind Maher coming off the bench and he received good minutes in all of their pre-Olympic games to date.

Behind Bogut, we have Andersen, Rogers and I think that's about it.

Maher, Heal, Bruton, Smith, Rillie
Ronaldson, Saville, Cattalini, Nielsen
Bogut, Rogers, Andersen

That's the twelve. They were looking at 4 big guys but I think Nielsen will have to play good minutes at PF. I would've added Schenscher to this team at the expense of Bruton or Ronaldson.

Reply #2179 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

So why would we not start Rogers or Anderson? I have never seen Bogut play but he must be bloody good. I still can't believe that Ronaldson is playing....

Reply #2181 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Bogut is bloody good. I wouldn't argue with A-Biddy getting a starting spot at C.

Reply #2183 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Bogut is awesome. He is Australia's next NBA star.

I think you will find Maher should average around 20 mins per game, probably in 6-7 minute spurts. Rememebr, Maher is playing for a coach who likes, and respects him, and knows his talents, as opposed to Elmer Fudd who coached in 2000.

Reply #2204 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Saville really impressed in the series against NZ and really couldnt knock a starting role after his games there.

Cattalini I think will play better coming as a spark of the bench to get the team a little 'pumped up' :-)

Maher and Rillie can be brought in for some extra shooting.

Inside is were we will struggle, Bogut is DAMN good but he can't play a full game at international level. Rogers showed nothing against the Kiwis and Anderson seems to have got worse since his last Boomers outing?!? Anderson has alot of potential though.

Cheers, DJ

Reply #2206 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:56 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754