velocity
Years ago

Blaze future to be decided tomorrow Thurs 14 June

Just on channel 9. Final creditors meeting tomorrow. Club will either survive with a new investor and creditors take a cut on what they are owed or the club will be wound up.

Will Wortho/Gibbo keep their streak going of playing for teams that go bust?

Topic #28509 | Report this topic

Flash  
Years ago

Lets hope so.

The way these owners carry on their business, Basketball would be better off without them.

This whole scheme is was just to avoid paying j0yce. Disgraceful behaviour.

Reply #366035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be a good chance for the 36ers to swoop on Gibson and/or Petrie as their "imports" if the Blaze are wound up i reckon.

Reply #366036 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

They shouldn't be allowed in the league.

No wonder people (outside of basketball circles) question the credibility of Basketball in Australia.

How a team could avoid having to fully pay out a LEGAL CONTRACT, then continue to be in the league is unconscionable and disgusting.

This kind of activity reminds me why people question the reputation of BA.

Reply #366037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@macdub. Well said and agree completely. It's an absolute disgrace.

Reply #366042 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Obviously cowboys are still able to operate within the NBL. Until the whole private ownership issue is sorted the League remains on shaky ground.

Reply #366046 | Report this post

Bowtie  
Years ago

THE CLUB WILL SURVIVE.
Creditors have to accept tomorrow as the Tomlinsons are holding majority of votes. The $330k is all that will needed to pay all off, then start again.
Don't need to be a maths genius to see Brendan is not in the 73 cents per dollar club...there isn't enough tp pay even him.
Therefore he is 7 cents per dollar for $650, ooo.

Reply #366048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rubbish, they did this to prevent possibly being put into liquidation. What they did is perfectly legal, if you have an issue with it campaign the govt to change the la w.

Be thankful the owners are willing to put millions into basketball. It seems they thought an employee was us ing his position to advance a family member at the expense of a club they w ere keeping alive purely through their generosity.

Reply #366063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Btw, not saying your comment was rubbish Bowie, talking to those above.

Reply #366067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will add that I don't agree with the law being used in this way, but it is legal and it stops an NBL club from dying so I won't criticize the people who bankroll the club including paying both coaches generously for the work they have done.

Reply #366072 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

" but it is legal and it stops an NBL club from dying "

To be honest, I am a huge fan of the NBL, but I don't give a rats ass about preventing the Blaze from getting their license revoked.

Any owner that can get $12m in debt and continue to utilise the entire salary cap (and then some all including the full-time office staff and expensive assistant coaches they pay for) and then not uphold a legal contract, does not deserve a license in ANY PROFESSIONAL SPORT.

Ever heard of the quote "live within your means". The Hawks are a great example of this. They only spend what they can. The Blaze go out and throw big coin at Wortho, Adris, Gibson, Petrie etc, either not realising or forgetting that they owe someone 300k and various other creditors millions.

I don't care about stopping the club from dying..

We are trying to progress with Basketball in this country, not regress, and to be frank, these kinds of owners do not deserve a license in the NBL.

I used to hate it when clubs left the comp ala South Dragons or Singapore, but now, I realise that if their owners and entire financial structure is broken, why should we let them in?

BA should take a hard line to this behaviour.

Reply #366097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Macdub. I dislike Joyce I think he's a real arrogant prick but the courts found he was owed around $350k and they pulled this punk move just to get out of paying him.

If the NBL were half serious they'd pull the Blaze's licence and ban the owners from ever having any sort of ownership in an NBL team again. And do it publicly.

Reply #366121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhh MACDUB as usual posting from on your uneducated high horse

Which highly paid assistant is with the Blaze again? That's right they all volunteer!

12 mil in debt? Yep the overwhelming majority if that is to the owners and related parties you dick, sure they owe Joyce 500k plus that he won't get but the others will all be paid (7c/$ is just the 'official' line)
There is a lot more to the Joyce issue than will ever be in the public domain - suffice to say both parties need to reasses their morals and way they have handled themselves.
Brendan rolled the dice to try and screw over the club rather than compromising and is now paying for it in a big way

Reply #366130 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB, Adris was really cheap. In fact, both their imports were. If Deleon was available at the same price again this year, almost every team would pounce IMO.

Reply #366131 | Report this post

The TRuth  
Years ago

Anon, which Blaze assistant volunteered his time? Not Pero, thats for certain, and certainly not Radliff. They may have had two support staff volunteers, Mick Conlon and Junior (the real team manager).

Paying so many office staff and Fat Ass Joe to do the job which other clubs have minimal staff undertaking is part of the problem.

Now that one of his own kids is seeking to get back over 300k which was invested into the company shows how far gone this so called "business" really is. Owen, Jack & Ben Tomlinson pouring their inheritance into the Blaze will keep them afloat, but none have any business sense what so ever and it will only be a matter of time before they really sink for good.

Regardless of what anyone says about j0yce, the man is a first class bloke who made some poor coaching decisions in his second season with the club. Granted he didn't have the budget Joey has been given to work with, otherwise he'd still be at the helm today. He has given over 25 years of service to Basketball in this country as a player and coach. Who has earnt the respect of so many during this time and now is giving back to the sport again through his development role with Basketball QLD.

What the Tomlinson family is doing to him is a disgrace and BA seriously need to look at the reasoning behind the lcub going into VA. Whether it is legally right or not should not be the issue, morally it is a dog act and people wonder why Basketball continues to flounder on the sporting landscape in this country.

Once again our great sport is the laughing stock of professional sport in this country.

BOOT THE BLAZE TODAY NBL!

Reply #366137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Blaze pulled this move because they could have been put into liquidation at any moment.

Really, both parties should have reached a settlement long ago. The owners trying to claim the contract was void because of the new competition was wrong in my opinion. The coach not looking for a settlement was probably not the best way to go about it. In the end they both lose.

Reply #366140 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

i dont buy into the he has done so much for the sport so therefore he is a good guy argument. You hear this line thrown around a lot. No one forced anyone to play basketball. in most cases players get paid very well for a long period of time. It is these people that feel the game owes them something. They have been paid to play or coach the game they love. Instead of being thankful for being so fortunate it is sad that there are groups out there that feel as though they can keep expecting the game to pay them even though their use by date has passed

Reply #366144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is what it is, joyce is a douche but he is also entitled to his contract being paid off. Having said that, blaze have the ability due to the laws that be to play the system and get out of paying by looks of it. So suck it up, Joyce couldve seen this as a potential hurdle when he first signed his contract to coach. Want to get paid the big bucks got to accept the rules of the 'game'...

Reply #366146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way I hear it Joyce won the court case and gave the club until Wednesday to pay up.

The club, which was in current negotiations with another investor, asked for more time but Joyce decided to play hardball and demanded the money or he would move to declare the club bankrupt.

So the club played the card they did.

I would say that Joyce got some very bad advice from his lawyers and is now paying the price.

Reply #366150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meeting is done, 7c in the dollar agreed to, Blaze survive. No surprises.

Reply #366158 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

So does Joyce get 7 cents in the dollar?

Reply #366164 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I guess so. I suppose the Blaze figured that the brand damage endured through this process was worth the money they saved.

Any impact would likely be short term and they already have a good core locked down for that period. Imports are likely to play regardless of a bit of bad history.

Reply #366168 | Report this post

Johnny  
Years ago

Well said macdub. I can assure you Conlon is on good money. has a packaged deal which makes him HC of the gc ABA team owned by blaze also.
Why did blaze sign him to 4 years if they weren't prepared to honour it?

I sense there are more people in the Joyce corner than blaze corner including the supreme court...

Could there be a fan backlash next season? Will it turn quality players off signing there?

Also I heard hoare and Harvey are owed up to 10k each still, a disgrace.

Reply #366170 | Report this post

Johnny  
Years ago

Why the hell would an assistant coach volunteer at pro level? Means they would have no income given they couldn't have another full time job with the hours required.

Reply #366171 | Report this post

Johnny  
Years ago

If Joyce gets 7%, means he can't even pay his 6 figure legal bills. Can he take further action? Brendan will get about 40k and possibly lose all his assets as he is in big time debt.

Reply #366173 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I believe he can challenge the category of creditor he was listed as. To be honest, he'd be much better talking to the owners and saying let's avoid more legal costs and come up with an agreement.

He doesnt appear to be in a position of advantage anymore though, unless he has strong legal advice that his listing was incorrect. From the outside the legal advice so far doesnt appear to have worked out very well, however.

Reply #366174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice try Thomas/Johnny

Id suggest following todays decision there isnt many people at all in Brendan's corner.
He should have quit while he was ahead, instead he tried to play the game and prove a point and its backfired in a big way!

Reply #366177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

speaking of an excessive amount of staff, for anyone who was at chandler at the preseason it was laughable that the blaze players, coaches, staff and entourage showed up as if they owned the place and took up half the length of the court to accomodate them and their big egos.
dome in the crowd actually pointed and laughed at how much they seemed to be so full of themselves.

Reply #366183 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754