Anonymous
Years ago

Adelaide refs vs Melbourne refs

After returning from the Melbourne classic, was the lower standard of our adelaide refs as blatantly obvious to everyone else as it was in the games that I saw last night?

Topic #28526 | Report this topic

Flash  
Years ago

I've always thought that Melbourne Referees' were better.

They reward the defense when they get position and they penalise them when the reach with their hands, therefore promoting better defense and therefore a better game of Basketball.

PS I wasn't at the classic this year, but have observed this during previous tournaments.

Reply #366368 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

I was at Nationals in Adelaide and Nunawading and i must say referees from Melbourne are far better than Adelaide,no-one here in Adelaide is committed to work with Junior referees,Whilst i spoke to a referee from Melbourne on the long weekend and asked about his referee training and was impressed with what he said ...frequent monitoring by referee coach.Adelaide coordinators need to go to melbourne and learn what the referee coaches of melbourne are doing to the juniors of today.

Reply #366375 | Report this post

baby eagle  
Years ago

Body slamming/coat hangers/hugging all allowed in Vic,i know its the home of AFL but the sport i play is basketball.My dad played the game in the United States & he recons the ref standard is laughable at best. As a girl i don't like getting the crap beat out of me every time i play a game that is supposed to be based on accuracy/speed/skill not brutality.

Reply #366376 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

a massive part of their ability is to COMMUNICATE with players.
For God's sake BSA drop this draconian requirement for umpires to stonewall Coaches and players and further alienate yourself from the game.
So great to see banter and RESPECT between umpire ,players and coaches at both Nunawading and Classics.
Was like putting on an old cheap suit last night watching Div1's and the way the were refereed.

Reply #366377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw that the game we were at last night at Sturt. We got 16 fouls on us, the home team only 5 all night. Only 2 points in the game, so it really counted. Yes not all calls will be right all the time, But from one team, to the other, consistency for both teams would be good...Played the same team in Melbourne wasn't at all the same. Funny about that. Umpiring was the only difference.

Reply #366381 | Report this post

just another anon  
Years ago

i was at the port last night and the reffing was awful
even the one ref who was meant to be up to standard looked bored and didnt want to be there

Reply #366382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kudos to Baby Eagle...unfortunately skill is too hard to teach/acquire..takes many years as opposed to 6 months in the gym to become a hackman.

Reply #366397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was also at port and agree with the awful reffing job there

Reply #366402 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

So let me guess, your teams won and it was because of the terrible reffing or.........

Reply #366418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My team won and the refs were rubbish, can we have classics every weekend please

Reply #366431 | Report this post

wrong  
Years ago

Observer, you don't know what you are talking about when you say no one here in SA is committed to helping junior umpires.

I have it on good authority that several or more top Officials and past officials in this state would like to be involved in developing junior umpires but BSA are not interested in utilising there experience and knowledge.

Instead they continue to employ "umpire in charges" with no credentials and these people either are slack or committed without actually knowing what they should be teaching

Reply #366482 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

baby eagle - I get annoyed by that too.

Unfortunately, when the top levels consistently get away with all that physical stuff, then the lower-grade refs will probably just allow it to happen as 'part of the game' because they don't have the training or confidence to take a stand.

Reply #366504 | Report this post

Barry  
Years ago

Refs at classics were at best erratic, our team won half our games with some good some bad refs. You would hope the refs at a major tournament such is classics would be Better than our Friday nights in Adelaide !

Reply #367179 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:11 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754