Commander
Years ago

Joey Wright only wins with a stacked roster

Joey wright, only wins when he has a stacked roster who could coach themselves.

Topic #28531 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on him. At high level basketball winning is in the picking and stacking correctly. Some can not win even with a stacked roster ( heard Tigers ?)

Reply #366477 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I thought he had a pretty stacked roster last year, yet he didn't win.

Sure he with the Bullets in 07, but that roster was beyond stacked. That roster was almost the perfect team

Reply #366533 | Report this post

velocity  
Years ago

Macdub is on the money, Wright is useless/overrated.

Reply #366539 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Nothing stacked about last year but well rounded.
Finished exactly where they deserved.
IF Deleon or Gibbo had played more games, one of them would have been Blaze MVP...IMO.
Wortho has a lucky charm in his shoe and a golden spoon in his mouth. Still has to prove he's worth anything near $250k, or $200k for that matter.

Reply #366541 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think third was a decent finish for them. Good roster, but two other great teams out there.

Reply #366544 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Brisbane in 07 was a special team that went above and beyond...

...the salary cap.

Reply #366553 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Be interested to see how he goes on a limited budget?

Reply #366586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re the Tigers being stacked with talent, that was only with Patty and from memory werent they in first or close to it till he left?

Reply #366600 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

I was fortunate to be a Bullets season holder for 06-07 team to witness such a great Team of amazing players, and function so well together was awesome basketball to behold..Wright received a great deal of praise that season and the season before but just like David Thompson with the Geelong Cats it was hard attribute so much praise to the coach when you have such a great line-up.

Reply #366611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dusty Rychart was their centre. The bench had a young Adam Gibson, Brad Williamson, Mick Hill, Dillon Boucher and Mark Bradtke on his last legs. They were a very talented team, but Wright deserves credit for getting them playing so well together and comprehensively beating Sydney and Melbourne in the playoffs.

Reply #366613 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Agree, he did a great job, but it seems that with the Blaze rather than play good team basketball, it is most isolation no passing player with the ball shoots basketball and just trying to get points off the fast break..The other thing about Wrights teams is that he places great emphasis on the fitness of the team rather than drawing up plays. the problem is that many of his players have suffered injuries more than most teams and often these injuries seem to occur during training sessions which could be attributed to players being overworked at training (just an observation).I do think Joey is a good coach, but sometimes such early success in his coaching career (NBL title) can validate a coaching style making it impervious to change and self-assesment.

Reply #366627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You could say the same thing about goorjian?

Reply #366637 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wright emphasises fitness??

It sure doesn't show on the Blaze players.

So many of them looked and were out of shape

Reply #366651 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

MACDUB haha I didn't say it worked (the fitness) just that he seemed (and publicly stated) place an emphasise on fitness over everything else.

Reply #366654 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Agree with "LanceUppercut" and the soft tissue injury comment was how I heard it also with minimum recovery time allowed. Wright is one of those coaches who love to punish by flogging at training sessions. He has very limited ability to deal with players of various ages and stages of their careers. Hoare and Goulding were trained equally and Hoare supposedly had discussed training routines when he signed. Maybe another coach could have meant another season.
He's not a developing coach. Cadee must have been hoping for more when he decided to start his NBL career on the GC. When Wright said the losing Blaze, earlier in the season, "were not playing as a reflection of his personality," he totally lost me.

Reply #366657 | Report this post

velocity  
Years ago

Well said greg.

Reply #367043 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:48 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754