Anonymous
Years ago

Patty Mills Opting out of Contract

Apparantly Patty has stated he's going to opt out of his last year with the Spurs!!

Is he crazy or what? 1 million on the table? He thinks he can get a better offer? :S

Maybe something happened behind the scenes..

Topic #28543 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He probably wants to play, and the spurs might have told him he'd be third pg again.

Reply #366687 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He got so much time with the Spurs in the regular season.

A full year in the system and maybe Pop may trust him to handle the playoff pressure.

Such a good situation for him.

If he's opting out to go play for some bottom feeder club so he can score more points he's an idiot.

Reply #366690 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Yep, dumb move. Much better learning from a supportive master coach than being screwed by an incompetent or desperate one.

Reply #366693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/mills-to-act-on-future-20120616-20h2k.html

He was very lucky to get a gig last season, maybe he should be happy or he may end up in china

Reply #366694 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

He'd have a lot of teams after him its not stupid, i reckon he will end up back at the blazers

Reply #366695 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Lol you people are hilarious

He has a week to explore his options before the June 25th deadline, so why shouldnt he? He's the third string pg on the Spurs team, one of the reason's he got so much playing time in his short stint with the Spurs so far was because of how compressed the season was this year with the lockout. You think Pop's going to need to rest Parker etc as much next season when he isnt running into 7 games in 10 days? or back to back to backs?.

In my opinion Patty wants playing time, so whose to say some team hasnt come to him and offered him alot more of it? This year's draft isnt really a PG heavy draft and next year's won't be much better, so why wouldnt some teams be interested.

Reply #366697 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It doesn't matter, he will become a much better player if he stays with the Spurs, and can learn from great players/

Pop's regular season rotations will always go 10 deep or more, resting his veterans wasn't just a product of the lockout season, he always does it.

Reply #366699 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I dont think he would test the waters without already having some interest.. he will get a NBA gig with more minutes and yeah Spurs have a lot of experience to learn off but you are kidding yourself if you think any other NBA team wouldnt be developing him into a better player.

Reply #366708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, im surprised to me the Spurs would be the dream organisation to play for, i guess he is trying to get more minutes elsewhere, but if I were advising Patty id tell him to stick with the Spurs for atleast 1 more year, well basically aslong as they want him, you couldnt get better than learning from guys like Pop, PArker, Duncan imo.

Reply #366710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not the smartest tool in the shed. Will now be out of the league within 2 years, if that. Never screw pop over, best coach in the nba, genuine players coach. Greed is a pathetic thing.

Reply #366712 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

You have to question some of the decisions that have been made so far in his career that haven't been great,

1) Declaring in a draft stacked with PGs at a time when he had an injury cloud of his head and following years draft was mostly PF and C without many PGs.It was obvious to most that he was screwing his chances of 1st round declaring when he did.

2) Leaving an NBL club during the protracted NBA lockout where he had an NBA out clause and signing to a (not particularly competitive) CBA league team where NBA out clauses are not recognised..when the NBA season starts putting his career in limbo....

Reply #366713 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

I note that no one has asked what, to me, would be an obvious observation. Brett Brown is Assistant Coach at the Spurs. I would imagine (possibly incorrectly) that Patty would have discussed his options with Brett. If that is in fact the case then maybe Patty's decision is based on any such discussion with Brown. Possibly Patty has also had discussions with Popovich about his future with the Spurs and his decision is related to that discussion. Everyone appears to want to bag Patty's decision (tall poppies again) and yet no one (including myself) have any knowledge of any discussions which may or may not have occurred with the Spurs. A lot of people are only too quick to jump to conclusions which may not be correct. Have a nice day.

Reply #366715 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

anon12 - definitely NOT tall poppy syndrome. I want him to succeed, and under Pop I reckon he will. He'll get more respect as a player and better coaching as well as great training opportunities on a team which is sucessful enough that it isn't desperate for wins. Staying should increase his quality and his marketability.

He's jumping too early IMO. Unless he's going to somewhere where he's guaranteed playing time, good coaching and security, he's going to look like he's just chasing minutes and dollars.

It's up to him whether he wants to go for the 'steady as she goes' Spurs or the roller-coaster in much of the rest of the NBA. I reckon he should stay with the Spurs for another year and then look around.

Reply #366716 | Report this post

Just a thought: quit the guess-work. It is apparent that no one here actually knows what discussions have gone on behind the scenes. These types of moves happen often, particularly if a coach has said something along the lines of, "look, you're not in our plans next season. If you've got interest from another team paying you a similar amount, I recommend you jump ship and take that move, because we will probably push you to the D-League."

All will no doubt be revealed in time.

Reply #366721 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Thanks fully someone talking sense and reason...thanks Mookie!

Reply #366724 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Agree, its every easy (and tempting) to speculate on what the motives are for such a decision, i was simply suggesting that hopefully this is a decision that Helps his career rather than hinders it, unlike some of his/managements other choices. Def. not tall poppy, I would imagine most (inc. myself) would want Patty to have a long and successful NBA career

Reply #366726 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Has anyone read the article? it states he has until the 25 June to explore his option, so he is seeing what is out there. It doesn't mean he his opting out just testing the waters. Could still be with the spurs if there is nothing better.

Reply #366730 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Has Patty actually said he's opting out? Has this been printed anywhere? I know he said he was exploring all of his options, but I hadn't seen him state anywhere that he was definitely opting out.

Reply #366731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This could explain Patty's decision. He might think it's time to get out of the NBA because of this:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/stern-warning-for-floppers/story-e6frect3-1226401028272

Reply #366761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a wise decision even if you don't know what is going on behind the scenes.

He has a player option with the Spurs next season for $1 million. If they then decide to cut him they would have to pay out a fair chuck of that and he would then find himself in the position he seemingly is about to be in, i.e. looking for a new team.

Aside from the stupidity of leaving guaranteed money of that size on the table at the Spurs he is able to learn from one of the better coaches in the NBA, in a great system amongst some of the best vets in the business including Tony Parker. Then you throw in the fact one of the assistant coaches at the Spurs is your national team coach and this potential decision starts to look a little insane.

We know Patty has had some bad advice in the past opting to declare for the NBA Draft the year it was loaded with PG's which saw him drop to late in the 2nd Rd where as if he had have stayed in college one more year he could've been a 1st Rd pick.

Forget playing time no one cares about some scrub putting up some numbers on a Sacramento or Toronto or something they care far more about a player willing to sacrifice for the team in a winning culture on a championship contender.

If he goes back to the Spurs next season and plays his role well again like he did this season the offers (say multi-year deals starting at a couple of million a season) will come next offseason.

Reply #366766 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

Patty had a respectable stat line this year, playing under one of the best coaches in the nba, There will be many teams after him, i can see him playing for a worse team and getting good minutes next season

Reply #366787 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

isaac can we rename the thread to patty to test the waters or some such, rather than the too-early opting out claim??

Reply #366788 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

hoopie. Tall poppy syndrome or not you seem to have missed the point. The point is that no one knows what discussions he has had with the Spurs. Whether you think it is a mistake to leave or not probably will not have much impact on Patty's decision. As Mookie has stated and what I tried to get across is that everyone is 'guessing' what has happened. I think it will be interesting to see what happens after the deadline.

Reply #366793 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

Seems like a good move to me. Likely looking for a back up gig, rather than a bench warmer.

Reply #366799 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think it's a bad option. He will be 24 by the time the season starts and hasnt played a full season of professional basketball! He needs to play.

If the Spurs have told him he is likely to be a third or fourth option then I think it is the right thing to do.

Reply #366802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't there a rumor that another team was interested at the same time as San Antonio in getting him so there could be an opportunity some where else.Worse case scenario is he goes and plays in europe and would get starters minutes.

Reply #366808 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

There was about 5 teams interested in him but he choose San Antonio for obvious reasons...

Reply #366811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem he faces that whilst you think it might be great for him to sit on the bench and learn on the spurs for another year, that extra year might lock him into the 3rd/4th string PG for his whole career in the NBA. The window to establish yourself is small and if he wants more minutes for the rest of his career he needs to look at what opportunities there and now and take it. $1mil at the spurs will be the lowest he'll be offered if he's gotten offers of more minutes elsewhere so money won't be an issue for him.

Reply #366832 | Report this post

Average_OKKA  
Years ago

benno: 5 teams interested? Why did he wait so long to sign ? Common be serious....

Reply #366839 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

He didn't take that long to sign, First he had to wait for his FIBA letter of clearance from Xinjiang Flying Tigers then there was visa issues, he had to fly to mexico and back then all this other legal bulls*** he had sit through where have you been? He took the San Antonio gig as soon as it arose because of the strength of the team, the highly respected head coach and of course having the Boomers head coach along side him and obviously a good opportunity to learn from one of the best in the business TP...

This year Patty averaged 10.31 points per game with a .485% field goal percentage and shooting .429% from three. If he where to go free agent he'd be picked up very quickly you'd reckon...

Reply #366840 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if he did an opt out and resign with the Spurs for $1.5-1.75m.

Based on his performances this year, his value has definitely gone up. The question is by how much?

Reply #366868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills hasn't officially opted out yet but has until June 25 to make the decision.
http://nbadownunder.com/aussies-in-the-nba/patty-mills-future-in-his-own-hands

Reply #367220 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754