Quagmire
Years ago

NBA Finals Game 4

Taken a day off work for the biggest game so far. Miami win here, they go up 3-1 and win 4-1.

OKC must win to keep alive, to do that Harden must break the funk.

What will happen?

What needs to happen?

What would you do as coach?

Topic #28552 | Report this topic

Chewy316  
Years ago

This series will go to at least 6 games, partially due to the talent of both teams, partially due to the NBA wanting to draw out the series, more games = more money for the league. If some of the contentious fouls on Durant are left alone and he gets as much freedom from the refs as LeBron, OKC should win.

Game will be close in the 4th, but OKC will be cooler under pressure like they were in game 1. OKC by 4

Reply #366889 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not denying that all leagues want more games, but I don't know that they could micro-manage games as you suggest. One ref doing it consistently could be picked up by statisticians. Multiple refs doing it increases the chance for league-destroying leaks.

In case it's useful to anyone, the Havelock showed Game 3 on a projector screen earlier this week and I think they're doing the same again today.

Reply #366894 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Isaac, as usual is a voice of reason. Referees are human, they make mistakes - and while I think they should be held accountable, there is very rarely an ulterior motive should they call a game incompetently.

If Miami wins today I think they'll win it all 4-2.

If OKC wins, you never know. Series will probably go 7.

Durant needs more shots, they need to give Lebron different defenders to change up his looks, and they should use Boston's strategy of doubling/pressuring Wade since he is undersized and isn't as good a passer as Lebron.

Harden needs to flat out knock some big shots down.

Reply #366900 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

Isaac it's not hard to micro-manage games at all. Whether it be by putting a player in foul trouble, certain 50-50 no calls etc. It's quite obvious at least from my perspective that they do this. For example, how many times will you see a team be cruising in the 2nd half with a comfortable 10 point lead. All of a sudden there are a few more whistle blows, the opposition gets to the line more and then the game is closer again.

There is almost a "template" that can be observed over the last few years in regards to playoff series. Game 1 more often than not is a comfortable win to the home side, by around 8-12 points. Game two is much closer, always goes down to the wire, the away team tends to get more calls in this game. Game 3 usually a comfortable win to the home team. Game 4 similar to game 2. Game 5 the refs tend to let them play more if it's 2-2.

It just annoys me that there are plenty of games in the playoffs where I don't even bother watching because I can accurately gauge what will happen during the course of the match. And I'm positive that I'm not the only one..

Reply #366903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^ what utter bullshit

Reply #366907 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anyway back to the game... Durant with a rough call to open the 3rd. Clear block of Wades shot. Heat player smarter in 2nd qtr. Westbrook is a damn good scorer but it's so frustrating the way his tunnel vision prevents him from seeing Durant wide open at times. Battier doing great job of denying Durant the ball too

Reply #366912 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Still close but I'd be feeling pretty good if I were a heat fan. The Heat are confident and their game plan is working, whereas the thunder are missing defensive assignments and are playing too much iso offensively. Can't watch final qtr but if I had to bet I'd say the heat will scrape home again

Reply #366914 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

James with almost a triple-double with 10min to go...

Reply #366917 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Westbrook 11pts in last quarter so far...

Reply #366919 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

If you can predict the games based on officiating as well as you say you can, Chewy, then obviously you've made a tonne betting on them, right?

Complete bullshit.

Reply #366920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westbrook needs to pass the ball more..when he scores so much they hardly ever win

Reply #366922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chewy hun if your paranoid of course you will see what you want to see, you will make it fit your theory

Reply #366923 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

So Lebron finally gets his ring.

About the same age as MJ got his first one, too...

Reply #366925 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Guess that blows Chewy's prediction out of the water? Or is it a conspiracy that the league wants Lebron to "get" his first ring?

Reply #366926 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Well done Lebron

Reply #366927 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Should have kept your mouth shut Chewy. Someone must have let Stern know you were onto him.

The lack of contribution by Harden has been the difference in this series so far.

Reply #366934 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

Well Mick, over the last 4 years I've made enough $$$ off of betting to pay for multiple overseas trips as well as purchasing a few investment properties. I'd say I know more about sporting patterns and idiosyncrasies than you believe me to.

The biggest mistake anyone can make is believing that sport (especially in America) is an even battle. It's not, it's a multi-million dollar enterprise designed to make money. Take the Yankees of the MLB: do you really think that the MLB is a level playing field when teams like the Yankees have a 200 million dollar payroll? Same goes for teams like the Lakers and Celtics in the NBA, two teams who are iconic in basketball but would be screwed over majorly with a hard cap. Then there's the Oakland Raiders of the NFL who front office officials I've spoken directly to in person understand that the Raiders will never receive any favours from the NFL be it on or off the field, with documentation of the "Raiders vs the NFL" theory dating as far back as the 70s with the Immaculate Reception.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that there are some people in sporting administrations who bend the rules to un-level what is supposed to be a level playing field.

Reply #366937 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

How much did you loose today then Chewy?

Reply #366938 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

lose.

Sorry but some bullshit is flowing here. Investmet proerties from sports punting. Yeah sure.

Reply #366939 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Westbrook needs to pass the ball more..when he scores so much they hardly ever win"

Oh my god. I dont want to hear it. That is disgusting. The dude scores 43 points and you find a way to critique his game. Horrible

If you want to blame someone, blame Harden, because he wasn't aggressive and confident in his abilities.

Reply #366940 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

Just because I've made a fair bit of $$$ through betting doesn't mean I'm a full time gambler, so I lost nothing today. Time to kick back and enjoy the Wednesday races on SKY and TVN.

Reply #366941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully LeBron gets his ring, but the Heat have to win 1 more first!

Interesting that it is about the same age as MJ, so many people criticise LeBron, but he is still on track to be up there with the all time greats of NBA history, his 3 MVPs (so far) will have him in the top 20-50, but if he adds say 3-5 titles and a couple more MVPs (at the same age MJ would have had 1 MVP at the most i reckon) he would be arguably in the top 5 of all time, could be arguably one of the top 2 SF's of all time by the end of his career,

at worst he has won 3 MVPs and will likely average atleast 20pts, 5 assists, 5 rebounds accross his career so that alone puts him in the real elite players of all time.

Obviously they still need to win 1 more before he gets his ring, and if it happens, i hope people get off his back and recognise how good a player he is and appreciate watching him play.

Reply #366942 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

Completely agree MACDUB. Harden was Soften out there in game 4. Dude has been soft and looking for special treatment ever since Artest elbowed him. He's gotta "Harden" up :P

Reply #366943 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The theory that when Chalmers fires, the Heat win has been proven again...

Reply #366945 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Any team that lets Mario f*cking Chalmers go for 25 points in a make-or-break game should be ashamed of themselves. Harden playing passive is another huge factor.

And Chewy? Turn it up, mate.

Reply #366948 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Chewy, they might tinker with larger rules to encourage a healthy league (e.g., NBL not requiring guarantees to keep some teams in the league), but as I said, specific instructions to one ref would stand out (e.g., Donaghy) and to multiple refs would be a risk of a serious leak that would potentially derail a league and everything that goes with it.

If teams make adjustments to the flow of the series it's because they're studying strategy and game tape, tweaking their game plan, rallying when threatened or feeling confident, etc. If there are consistent patterns, it's more likely because the home-away format is often also consistent and players are human in that they react to these things in a consistent manner.

A team is coasting with an easy lead you say, and the other team rallies, more energy, more contact, more calls from the refs needing to be made. That's sport! This ain't Computer Assistance in NBA Jam!

The baseball and basketball teams you described are seriously iconic and powerful brands. There would be more interests working towards higher spending than not - the player associations for one. The NBA tried to ditch the soft cap just recently and we had a lockout because the NBPA denied that! You cannot put that on the NBA!

You also can't use the Lakers and Celtics to argue for 50-50 calls favouring little Oklahoma City, right? The NBA would've found a way to get the Knicks there if it were so trivial.

The league would be hopeful of a longer series, definitely. But I don't think they'd interfere with something like refereeing as you described to achieve that.

Reply #366950 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Have OKC never heard of a flex cut? Durant needs to move to get the catches he wants. He's had a disappointing series, it was a chance to become a man, but he is obviously not ready to be on the big stage. He better tell his teammates "look at the number on my back, that's how many shots I will take tonight".

Also, Westbrook did play a good game, but not a smart one. Fair enough he gets good looks at the rim, but just because he scored, that doesn't mean that another person wouldn't score if they moved the ball on a bit.

Reply #366951 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

This is where the 2-3-2 Finals format is unfair. The Thunder are on the back foot, and could sorely use home support in game 5. What's more, they deserve it as the higher-ranked team.

Reply #366953 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Yeah, the onus should be on the away team to come back and snatch it, not the other way around.

Reply #366956 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Anyone think that it is over next game? I think James and Wade are going to have huge games and close it out at home

Reply #366976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those LeBron cramps looked season ending ;-)

Reply #367004 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

OKC defence for a finals is poor..durant d doesn't exist unless he decides to use his length and block..no one on help d, anyone layups does lebron get, make him shoot!

Reply #367226 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754