eyewonder
Years ago

Jump ball in the NBA

How long has the jump ball been back in the nba & will the nbl follow anytime soon?

Topic #28564 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Hate this rule in the NBL/Fiba, especially since it came from the WNBA, I believe.

Doesn't speed the game up in any case because by the time the referee figures out which way the posession should go you could have had a jump ball.

And I don't believe this rule ever left the NBA...

Reply #367053 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

NBA always had the jump, as far back as I can remember anyway.

Reply #367064 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I love the NBA version of this rule and loathe the rules at every other level.

I wish the rest of the world would adopt the NBA version of this rule.

Reply #367075 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The worst part about it is the argument that FIBI made that it stops teams with tall players winning the possession all the time.

There if no basis to that at all because normally a smaller athletic guy will beat out a lumbering centre in a jump ball.

Reply #367083 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I really would like to see one set of rules be followed by every league and international game. There a only a few differences now, but it would be good to get one bunch of rules so it would be easier to compare leagues/players!

Reply #367089 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I don't mind it in under 12s because there is a million jump balls per game, but at the higher level I agree it should return.

Reply #367099 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Get rid of offensive goaltending, tighten the travelling rules, and then we should all follow NBA's rules in FIBA comps...

I would like to see zone defenses discouraged in amateur competitions though...

Reply #367121 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

As I understood FIBA adopted the rule after the NBA & almost as soon as it was introduced the NBA changed back. Don't forget though that the FIBA rules are determined by the 200 odd member countries to try to accommodate them all.

Reply #367123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

razor that's wrong.

FIBA adopted USA Basketball's rule which is applied at NCAA level.

NBA are a law onto themselves.

Reply #367151 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Interesting theories here.

The jump ball rule was pushed by European countries, who's countries wanted certainty of possession after a contested ball - which is what happens in many levels below NBA in USA.

I am an advocate, it certainly does speed the game up - the scoring official immediately points the way the arrow favours possession and the referee adopts the same signal and can almost immediately administer the out of bounds possession.

The old rule was seen to be particularly disadvantageous in women's basketball, but the primary reason for the push came because of certainty of possession.

In a very different set of circumstances, but for exactly the same reason, the Rugby league scrum (as opossed to union) is now a second row feed and ensures possession - both coaches plan for the outcome.

Reply #367159 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The Rugby League scrum does however displace the forward pack which adds another element to the game, in effect speeding it up once the scrum is over.

In amateur ball the scorers screw up the possession arrow too often, and it slows down the game while they discuss with the referees and try to figure it out.

Reply #367194 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

You look at the timing conditions in the NBA and the reset of the 24 second clock to 5 seconds during a jump ball if the ball is below 5 seconds.

Reply #367200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get rid of the arrow, bring back the jump ball

Reply #367205 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sorry Mick, you've missed the point about RL I think. I agree it adds an element positionally, but RL always had that. In fact, when scrums were contested events it was even more so, now as soon as the ball is out everyone peels off like lightening - the difference is you bascially know now when the ball is out and you can prepare because the two packs are not pressuring each other.

The rationale for the RL scrum rule changes was about ensuring possession - possession is no longer "in contest" in the scrum.

The Europeans were not concerned with speeding up the game of basketball, they wanted to know if they were in defence or offence after a contested possession. Possession therefore is no longer "in contest" with the PA rule.

And the exception about a junior scorer stuffing things up does not make the rule. In pro, semi pro and any well administered game the possession arrow rule is much quicker to administer than a jump ball.

Reply #367252 | Report this post

Lee  
Years ago

it had nothing to do with the WNBA, it's been happening in College ball since the '80's. i don't understand the desire to 'speed up the game'?? you work hard to get a jump ball and then have to look and see whose 'posession' it is, rather than being awarded the chance to now 'win' the ball from the jump ball. it has taken away from the natural flow of the game, leaving this start/stop lack of chance in it's place... hate it!

Reply #387959 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:50 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754