velocity
Years ago

Can Dellevadova make the NBA?

College/Boomers star, seemingly too good for the NBL. Will he get a gig as an import at a big euro team or make the NBA?

Different type player to Mills but possibly equally attractive as he is more a creator than shooter.

He is projected 2nd round next year so non guaranteed contract.

Topic #28566 | Report this topic

tripple  
Years ago

No. He is too slow. If Mills can only get second round, no chance. He will have a solid Euro career at best or be a superstar in the NBL.

Reply #367048 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I think he would be a star (top 10 type)in the NBL but superstar (re MVP candidate)is even pushing it a bit from what I have seen at this stage. His strengths are his leadership and his solid all round game. Don't think he will ever be a big time scorer or highlight reel type and you probably need to be one of those to earn the term superstar. I doubt he will get a big team big league Euro gig straight away but may in the longer term if he continues to improve. How he performs in London will go a long way towards his chances of being picked up in Europe rather than how he does at the Gaels.

Reply #367052 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Yep would definately be a star in the NBL. I heard an interview from him where it seemed he was hoping for a place in Europe somewhere after his college career. He seemed to be suggesting that the NBA would be a bonus. I like a guy who is realistic about his prospects. He could be one of those undrafted guys who gets a look who knows.

Reply #367060 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

I think he'll go second round in next years draft due to the fact this years and next years draft is supposed to be very lean when it comes to PG's, and while he might be a little slow and unathletic, he's got the height and the court vision to make up for it, but I dunno if he'll end up on anyone's roster.

Reply #367063 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

If he grows his hair long he'll be compared to Rubio and Maravich which would help his draft stocks.

No i'm serious.

Reply #367065 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

His chances of getting a good gig in Europe rest largely on whether he can get a Euro passport. As an import it would be tough.

As for as how he'd go in the NBL, it's hard to tell before he has played a game. But very few players have come out of college and been stars straight away in the NBL in the past decade, even guys like Knight and Nevill who had excellent D1 college careers. He would definitely be keenly sought after though.

Reply #367068 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Short answer yes - but in all reality, he will be a very good player in the NBL and/or Europe and for the Boomers.

Reply #367072 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I heard an interview he did on radio whilst in Perth for china series he said if he can't make it in the states he will pursue Europe so there is no intention at the moment to play in Australia.

Reply #367087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends on how he develops. He's already got great vision and feel for the game. Just got to keep working on the tangibles.

Reply #367090 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

lol mouthguard advertising below the page. Delly could be their spokesperson!

Reply #367094 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

Yes, apart from his lack of athleticism he is a solid player, he won WCC player of the year this year, with a solid score to assist ratio. If he can improve his numbers from last year he would be a certanty. The disadvantage is his terrible shot style. His passing is NBA level just needs to work on his game! Go delly!!

Reply #367101 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Don't think his style really matters Benno, so long as he can get his shot off quick enough. It seems to be a habit of all the guys coming out of the AIS, they take ages to get their shot off. Gibbo and Ingles being the worst. Watch Gibbo shoot it, absolutely terrible. He catches it, takes the ball almost down to his knees, then shoots it from way above his head. It takes ages from the catch to the release.

I'm surprised the AIS don't have a full-time skills/shooting coach to address these issues.

Reply #367106 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Every year I see him play he has a different shot to showcase. At the start he's a 3 point shooter and free throws almost exclusively. In years 2 and 3 he has a back to the basket move where he hooks and some nice scoop shots and can bank it in off the dribble. He is a bit of a baller!

It's good to see someone constantly improving and working on their game!

Reply #367107 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I reckon Gibbo has quite a compact action! Funny how two people can watch the same shot and have completely opposite conclusions!!

Reply #367109 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

He is a gun gun but unless he gets the euro passport he might struggle to be an "import" at a big team but could end up an import in a small euro league.

Best of luck to him hope he gets the best out of himself and turn into a Steve Nash type and makes the show.

Reply #367114 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

Delleadova is about as good as Fred Hoiberg so maybe.

Reply #367119 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Brett Brown comments in this months Inside Sport mag that he thinks there could be a place in the NBA for Delly, and that he should be aiming for that level.

His ability to control the ball, get into the lane and make smart decisions will undoubtedly not go unnoticed by NBA scouts and GM's. And as rohant16 says, he's constantly improving each and every year. So if he keeps that up, then he definitely has a chance.

All that aside, I agree with curtley, he should just grow his hair ridiculously long for his senior year and he'll probably end up being a lottery pick! Ha ha.

Reply #367124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's excellent in pick and roll situations, which is going to appeal to the NBA. I think in a lot of ways, how guys like Kendall Marshall and Jeremy Lin perform next season will have as much impact on Delly's draft stock as his own performance. They're both big point guards with great passing games, but lack athleticism and struggle to guard opposing points. It wouldn't surprise me to see a team like Houston take a flier on Delly in the 2nd round, but even if he gets a contract, there's no way he's playing big minutes in the NBA any time soon.

Reply #367130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not much chance of making the NBA but would be a solid/good NBL player but not an out & out star IMO.

Reply #367133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good chance of a summer league spot on a west coast team and then a mid level euro gig with opps to progress based on performance.

Euro likes those pgs with size that can shoot and run the horns offense so he should find a home.

Reply #367155 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I have heard the comparison to Lin a lot.

But, honestly Lin is miles quicker and more explosive than Delly.

A lack of explosiveness really hurts players. What people often forget is that their is a lot of young Euro players out there, similar to Delly, who won't ever be seriously considered.

Nikolaos Pappas springs to mind, Dmitry Kulagin, Raul Neto etc.

I would go as far to say Delly isn't the best PG in his conference.
I think Pangos from Gonzaga is a better more traditional PG, who runs the team expertly.
Delly can still run a team very well, but he isn't the natural prototype PG that Pangos is.

With that been said, i think Delly is the best player in the WCC though. He is terrific.

Reply #367158 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Speaking of Fred Hoiberg, he recently signed an 8 year contract extension as the Head Coach of Iowa State with a $1.5 million annual salary, not bad for college bball coach

Reply #367161 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

To say Delly isn't the best pg in the WCC conference is just plain wrong i'm sorry.

Reply #367164 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

i totally agree with you rohant16, The olympics is the best thing for Matt so much experience to gain and to improve I'm excited for him

Reply #367165 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1182237-college-basketball-the-15-best-foreign-players-in-the-country-heading-into-next

And look who's number 1!

Reply #367172 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Bleacher Report isnt really a proper judge of anything sports related, most of there content is produced by people who are rather biased or ignorant about most things and uses way to many contributers with no background in media at all.

Reply #367174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was saying he isn't the best pure pg, which he isn't. He's a 1-2.

Reply #367187 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

If Delly's not a pure point guard then I don't know who is. Have you watched him play he always looks to move the ball.

Reply #367188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After hearing the above pangos comment I have to make a post. If you were discussing shooting ability then I may give pangos the upper hand. But to say that pangos is better at running an offense is non sensical. Smc had the season they had on the back of dellys ability to run the offense.

Reply #367189 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

benno yeah great to see Dellys talents being recognised, even if its an article in the BleacherReport written by a high school basketball fan (really the author is in high school).

A great olympic campaign as a pass first pg alongside patty would be great for his chances in next years draft.

Reply #367225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is not a pass first pg tho.. Never has been. .

I can see that he is working on it however. I hope he does because his passing ability is very strong. Would be good to see.

Why Australia produces soo manyshoot first pg's in beyond me. Why do we have no pure PG's !!???

Reply #367398 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754