Rachel Jarry

Topic #28578 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummmm Where is Erin Phillips?

Reply #367250 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

allegedly already back in the US playing for her WNBA side - poor form for a player that wanted to play for Australia...

Reply #367253 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Strange that the side has not yet been posted on the BA website.
Looking at the guards it would appear that Mcleod got the nod over Erin. The decision appears to have been made a few days ago as Erin is back in the USA with Indiana - 11 points against the Suns on Tuesday (away) and 14 points against the Suns today (home).

Reply #367263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is sam richards that good?

Reply #367272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I noticed that about Phillips too - but also noticed that she didn't play minutes in their last game in Europe, so perhaps something had been decided earlier?

Reply #367284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a JOKE, Erin is carving it up in the US against the best isn't that who we need to beat to take home the GOLD? Very disappointing BA aren't we supposed to select the BEST?

Reply #367287 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

I am an Erin fan, and IMO she is a better player and has better stats than Mcleod, HOWEVER, this is another situation where people are going to guess what happened about Erin not being selected. The truth will probably rear it's ugly head at some stage but until then all we can do is GUESS and hope that the decision was related to form and not personality.
In any case I will be supporting both the Opals and the Boomers in London, although I think that the Opals stand a better chance of getting to the finals than the Boomers. Hopefully I am wrong. Also hopefully the Opals coach uses the talent she has and doesn't play favourites. Will still be a tough ask to win Gold without Penny Taylor given the talented team that USA are sending.

Reply #367291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't be form have you had a look at both her European and WNBA stats over the last 12 months

Reply #367295 | Report this post

Adelady  
Years ago

AWESOME to see Hidges and Screen - most likely their farewell tour, but brilliant all the same!

Reply #367303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is more to team selection then stats.

I would have had Erin in, although we know very little about team fit, attitude, etc.

It looks like Taylor going down probably hurt her as it allowed BA to to stick to their guns with only girls around for the full camp and tour selected.

Reply #367304 | Report this post

Years ago

hodges and screen both played in a winning combo when we won the worlds and know what it takes. They did not play last time and we did not do as well as before.

Reply #367306 | Report this post

Very Very Old  
Years ago

I could have understood Phillips being the one to move out Hurst, but I cannot understand , given both their forms in Europe etc, that both got shunted out by those that were selected.

Wish the girls all the best , but I cannot see a certain top 4 finish this time around.

Reply #367308 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The gorgeous too of Sam Woosnam & Angela Marino didn't make it.

Bit shocked to see Erin Phillips missing considering her WNBA form that you're all suggesting above.

Reply #367309 | Report this post

Years ago

we will do ok - but we have to improve greatly on our last worlds.

no room to play a stale 2006 winning game.

Reply #367311 | Report this post

Years ago

champ - probably find Ange will play for NZ !

Reply #367312 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ange didnt get picked for NZ this year.

Reply #367314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO SHE WONT ! The New Zealand players do not want her in the team

Reply #367315 | Report this post

Sector7G  
Years ago

Onya Laurz!

Reply #367326 | Report this post

Demos  
Years ago

In the past Erin has threatened to not make herself available without being guarenteed a starting spot.

Would not be suprised if this were the case here.

Reply #367330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know this Demos? There is so much sh*t spread about players and unless you were in the meeting how do you know? I am sick of people rubbishing players on these threads. You know what if i was Erin i would want a guarenteed starting spot too after i have just signed a mulit year deal in the WNBA. Not many Australian Female basketballers have been offered these mulit year deals besides our Lauren & Penny. These girls need to make the money while they can.

Reply #367338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rest of the Aussie girls agreed not to play WNBA so they could focus on their Opals run.

Erin did not. Pretty simple really.

Reply #367344 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Graff wants Opals commitment over pro career (WNBA). such a joke and she's still not gonna get a gold by the looks of it. full support for Erin here...

Reply #367349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rest of the opals?? Besides Liz and Lauren? Who else agreed not to play? I don't think there were any other girls with multi year WNBA contracts

Reply #367350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one should expect a guarenteed starting spot to represent your country at an Olympic games.

You reap what you sow.

Reply #367355 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

If it's true that Carrie Graf had asked her players to commit to the Olympic preparation over playing in the WNBA then that is a disgrace!! Last time I checked the players dont get paid to play in the Olympics,they still need to make a living!! BA couldve organised the training camps etc to be in the USA so players could have a chance to do both. I dont blame Erin if this is the case if she choose earning a living over preparing for the Olympics!
What would happen if she choose not to play out her WNBA contract this year and train with the Opals instead, then get cut from the WNBA would BA pay out her lost earnings?? I think not!!!

Reply #367356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jenna had a spot on the Sparks she decided not to take up to focus on the Olympic campaign (her salary is currently against their cap). So that would be Lauren, LJ, Liz and Jenna. Only Taylor and Erin went to the wnba this season pre Olympics.

Also players in the Australian squad get paid by BA.

Reply #367359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah what a great idea having the Opals pre-olympic camp in the USA when as stated above maybe 3 chicks are playing there and the rest of the 16 member squad are in Australia. Wow what an eintein you are.

Reply #367369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pardon my ignorance but isn't the Olympics where the best Athletes compete? Clearly this isn't the case here.

Reply #367370 | Report this post

Pallas  
Years ago

Why would 1 players expect to be considered above and beyond all others?

Maybe that shows why she was not selected!!!

And more importantly, that it has happened part way through the preperation, and after a poor performance rfom Phillips in a lead up game, shows that it might not have occurred until she found out that she had to compete for a spot.

If any player wants to take a payday instead of reprresenting their country that is totally up to them.

But the team shouldnot pander to 1 player when all other 11 are willing to do the right thing.

Reply #367392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the Love Womens Basketball Website:

Australia announces final 12 player roster, leaves off Erin Phillips
June 22, 2012 09:03 J?nis Kac?ns Featured, National Teams
Basketball Australia has announced the 12 players selected for London Olympic Basketball tournament.

Biggest shocker by head coach Carrie Graf is leaving Erin Phillips off the roster.

Phillips is one few Australians who have a spot on a WNBA roster. Unlike most of them she decided to start the season in WNBA and join the team for a couple of weeks when they traveled to Europe.

"It was tough. Erin was part of the last world championship team, the last Olympic team. But with the short time we had together, it wasn't the fit." said Graf about the omission of Phillips.

Quite a gutsy call by Graf. If Australians fail to win a medal it could very likely cost her her job.

Reply #367405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Although I follow the Lightning, on form I cannot see hoe Screen made it.
Really did'nt have much impact at all in the WNBL last season ( compared to Madgen etc)

- I'm quite dumfounded.

Reply #367446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Erin is over rated!!

Reply #367451 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Interesting reading Love Womens Basketball ^
Also interested in Cambage now the highest paid Womens Basketballer in the world.

Reply #367483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jenni screen in the starting line up??

Reply #367504 | Report this post

CP3  
Years ago

Erin not making this team is bewildering to say the least. Would have thought she would have been the 1st guard of the bench in the Olympics. Something stinks here. I'm not sure what Screen will be bringing to this campaign for the Opals? On current form there is no way she should have been selected! Can't hit the 3 anymore & defensively she is a spent force at the Olympic level. Graf had the chance to re-generate this team with a more youthful look but is still going to the well with mid to late 30 something players. This team will not make the medal round & if that is the case, bye-bye Graf!

Reply #367571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And then look at reduced government funding for the sport. The Opals have to perform and for a moment I thought this was the Masters Games team - well not quite!

Reply #367699 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I do not think the addition of Phillips will make any difference at all.

Reply #367932 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:32 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754