Shoota
Years ago

15yr old players

What are some of the thoughts that people have about some of the womens sides having 15-16 year old players in there team.

Do you think they will gain from playing ABA?

Topic #2858 | Report this topic

Definitely. Playing against stronger, better opposition will always make you better. is there any particular team/player you are thinking of?

Reply #32440 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

There are five players in the womens competition that i can think of, off the top of my head. With all these kids, they have Junior committments, state trainings, SASI trainings, now ABL trainings and games, all on top of School and a social life. (see thread Cayla Francis also).

How much pressure are we putting on these young kids? When do we need to say "it's too much" physically and mentally.

As has been suggested, maybe we need to create a statewide accepted set of guidlines of heirachy for the junior's. If we dont, we may see basketball having a negative impact on their lives, which none of us want.

Reply #32443 | Report this post

wnba fan  
Years ago

I have no problem - as long as they can cope.

My key point is at 15 you still should be doing everything through the parents -as they are still minors.

So it is not only the player but the parents who have a big say.

don't get into the micro management of it all - if they can play, want to play - go with it

should the 14 yos in the country not play local A grade?

hell no - so if the metro kids want to play ABL - let it happen

Reply #32450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a very interesting topic and one I've thought about quite a lot, as I am a parent of one of these players. My opinion is that these kids need a balance and as much as we like to think that their coach(es) have their best interest at heart, each coach has a job to do and his/her own agenda and of course they think that they should be the priority. The kids end up feeling like the meat in the sandwich and become stressed as they try to please all of them in case they get on their bad side. So I think parents need to be the strong ones and stand up to some of these coaches. Parents are the only ones who really will put their children first. And before coaches out there start getting offended by my comments, I know they are not all like that, but these kids will be coached in one week by maybe up to 5 different coaches, many with different opinions and not all of them will take into consideration the child's schedule for the week.
I tell my children it's important to be in a position of choice in life. That way if your dream of being the next Michael Jordan doesn't work out, the blow isn't as bad. So for 16 and17 year olds the priority should be schooling and we as parents have to help them understand how important this is while allowing them to have their dreams. Even though a lot of coaches in theory agree with this and tell the players the same,some only care about their own agenda.

Reply #32453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as a parent whos child has also been in this position, i agree that schooling is important but a child who has good time management skills and the support of parents, club and coaches can do it all.If the child is struggling than no they will not be able to manage.Yes each coach has their own agendas but each should be communicating with each other in the best interest and development of their more elite players.And generally i have found this, but have also found that some parents dont always understand the system and they fall back on they know best for their child.
Generally and this is very general it has been my experience that the kids who are doing all this do well with their studies.
Yes its is good to have choices in life but never die wondering what if

Reply #32462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez, I hope I don't die wondering what that was all about!
Time management isn't about trying to do everything within a certain amount of time. Its about deciding what needs to be done in the available time. No-one will stay 15 forever. No-one will be able to play basketball (or any other sport, except maybe golf) forever. But a 15 year old can't be expected to see, or fully appreciate, that fact of life. The coaches who want these kids to devote all their spare time to basketball really should be responsible mentors and should be telling these kids to make sure they put something aside for the times when they won't be able to play or when they won't be able to continue playing due to the wear and tear that they are putting their bodies through. Everyone wants the best players on their teams, but when these kids grow up and leave basketball - as most kids do - will they have the skills necessary to get the best jobs? Any job? Its not likely to happen if all the kid has done while growing up has been dribbling a basketball. Time management! Give me a break. Get a life. Its not all about basketball. There's lots to do and kids need to know that basketball, even if they do put in all the work required to get to the very top, is only a short term career relative to the lifes they can lead and the contributions they can make. A dummy is a dummy for life, long after fame and fortune have faded away. Parents may well be the only responsible parties who can influence their kids and ensure that they reach a sustainable balance between basketball and everything else required in life. Please the coaches by all means. Please the kids by all means. But please get your kids feet firmly on the ground and let them have a life outside of basketball, because sooner or later they will need to start living that life along with everyone else who has ever been an elite sportsperson.

Reply #32488 | Report this post

travel592  
Years ago

a good education pays the life long bills - even our top basketballers make a pitance out of their love of basketballs, especially the women in SA

Reply #32496 | Report this post

Anon #32462 - Great points. Top junior basketball in itself is an education. You make lifelong friends and contacts, gain confidence, learn the value of hardwork and determination, time management and team work.

Only one of my teammates at 15/16 age has gone onto have a very long term professional career in the sport. Some of us still play at ABL level but pretty much all have gone on to very successful professional careers.

Reply #32506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Use the basketball skills to get a free ride at a college in the states.

Basketball also keeps children fit and organise sports also helps to keep them away from drugs and other activities that parents dont like.

I do agree that work loads need to be monitored.

Reply #32514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you just don't get it do you !!!!!

Reply #32567 | Report this post

Shoota  
Years ago

Im glad to see all your veiws on this topic.

I personally think to play basketball at such a high level..you need to kepp your grade up aswell. Being a great basketballer and flunking school can not always be the best option. Even the colleges in America look at kids grades as well as there basketball talent.

Eastern lowland gorilla- i was thnking more so of the Centrals aba team as I know of 1 girl who is u'16's still and 3 in u'18s. I have also noticed other aba teams taking on a couple of juniors. But i agree, if the kids can play bball, give them a go. Let them show what there made of. I think playing this higher level of basketball is a great oppurtunity for the younger kids to be more experienced. It's a great oppurtunity.

Altough one down side I have to it is the physical aspect of the game. Will the U'16s and 18s be able to maintain that physical side of the game that the women maintain?

Reply #32643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No offense but there is a big difference between a girl playing for centrals aba team and a girl that:

Has state, Sasi, cOuntry tournament, Junior District, Private school, State Rep., All Australian Camp, ABL, club classics etc. These girls at the elite level would have up to 6 trips away a year, train 6 times a week. Its up to coaches / clubs to develop some method to assist parents and players into making priorities as to what they can missout on and what they should take part in.

If a girl at the lions get the opportunity she should play. Her workload could not even begin to compare to some of the girls at other clubs.

Reply #32644 | Report this post

Zygot  
Years ago

When you are 30yrs old, it will not be how good you were at basketball as a 16-18yr old that will put a roof over your head, clothes on your back and food on the table.

Lets see, after secondary school most would be 18yrs old, bloody hell at least 10yrs to try and reach the top in senior ball...and still have a good scholastic background...it is a no brainer...I sometimes wonder whose dreams the kid is trying to live....

Reply #32661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a kid gives up 2 years of basketball to concentrate on their education only, will never regain the lost ground unless they have something super special about them.
(These are a rare breed so you wont see them anytime soon in sa)
Education is important for the future, nobody is argueing that its not.
15 comes very early in life and what you can do at 15 and what you can do 10yrs later are very likely 2 different things.You only have a short time to enjoy being an elite sportsperson then the rest of your life to work for that roof.Support Support Support! That is the key to having your cake and eating it as well.Adult education is there for a reason.

Reply #32669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And only if they have something "super special" about them,then babsketball MAY pay the bills. So concentrate on yor studies at the right time. If you a good ball player basketball will wait for you while you finish you secondary schooling properly!!

Reply #32687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what teams have got 15 years old playin in them??

Reply #33382 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

centrals, south, eastern, that i know of. May be others.

Reply #33386 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

centrals have 15 year olds because they need the talent, (or at least players) many people are too afraid to go to centrals beacuse of the bad reputation they have but i have heard straight from the horses mouth that things are chnaging, lets give it a few more years

Reply #33981 | Report this post

baller13  
Years ago

my girl lauren mansifield from the north adelaide rockets plays ABA and shes only 15 and i think shes one young talent... i think she can take on any point guard on ABA and they'll get blown away!!!

Reply #36672 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:36 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754