Anonymous
Years ago

SA U16 National teams

Anyone know who is in the SA Metro & SA Country U16 teams for the upcoming Nationals in Tamworth?

Which team will finish higher do u think?

Topic #28582 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro girls should do well, as should the country boys. I would say: Metro Girls 2-4th, Country Girls 6-8th, Metro & country boys 6-10th. Good luck to all SA teams.

Reply #367469 | Report this post

under 18  
Years ago

sa girls smashed sa country by 40 i would say country girls looking at bottom 5!

Reply #367488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are putting unreal expectations upon the girls who should be aiming for a top six at best

Reply #367489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are the Country men better than the Metro? ? ?

Reply #367497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Played again today and metro girls only won by a point

Reply #367499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country girls lost by 1pt against Metro today. Country boys beat Metro last weekend. Metro girls should beat country, but by all accounts struggled! I would relook @ those predictions, metro/country are fairly even! Top 6 from any would be a great result. I hope all teams do well. Go SA!!!!

Reply #367503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

half the metro girls are sick, one too sick to even play today so don't change the predictions just yet

Reply #367510 | Report this post

3 pointer  
Years ago

The country girls had two reserves playing today to fill in for the two girls who got injured at yesterday's training! So not bad effort considering that situation!!

Reply #367539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who got injured...?? Badly??

Reply #367542 | Report this post

Noel Golden  
Years ago

Country Girls played well considering they lost a girl yesterday to an ACL & another with a severe ankle sprain. Country played their reserves for numbers! Metro had problems, but not to the degree of the Country group. Was a good game played hard & tough, heres hoping both teams do well in Tamworth.

Reply #367585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good comment, we are both SA teams and it would be great to see both teams performing well over in Tamworth, go girls give it to those Vics

Reply #367597 | Report this post

Years ago

who did the ACL ?

Reply #367752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girl from the Riverland. Plays with Mavs. Solid rebounder & defender, big loss!

Reply #367755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tragic for the girl and i wish her a speedy and safe recovery. Im leaning very much to over training in girls basketball being a major contributor to ACLs as netball has about half the number nowadays. Basketball juniors tend to practice twice a week for 90 or 120 minute sessions where as netballers do half that one training per week.
The state program flogs the girls and SASI's emphasis was on old fashioned fitness/run, not skills. Even when accidents are involved tired legs from over taraining don't provide the same protection.

Reply #367948 | Report this post

Concerned  
Years ago

Metro boys run 4 hour sessions, plus SASI sessions, mid week trial games, individuals all on top of their club trainings & Friday night games! You wonder why so many turn their backs on basketball & discover a social life, or simply play another sport! The expectations put to 14-15 year old kids by Mr Gliddon is ridiculous. The current group of "top level" athletes won't be around by under 18,s, count on it! BSA or SASI need to improve the way they nurture & develop our stars of the future. Move into the current day, flogging kids & coaching by threats or fear doesn't work. Step aside & let someone who has a great relationship with athletes, coaches & works his tail. The former SA boy down in Tassie would be the man to bring this state up to speed. JS has the connections and the energy that would leave NG for dead!
Vote 1 - bring the bear home! Before it's to late!

Reply #367978 | Report this post

Concerned  
Years ago

Metro boys run 4 hour sessions, plus SASI sessions, mid week trial games, individuals all on top of their club trainings & Friday night games! You wonder why so many turn their backs on basketball & discover a social life, or simply play another sport! The expectations put to 14-15 year old kids by Mr Gliddon is ridiculous. The current group of "top level" athletes won't be around by under 18,s, count on it! BSA or SASI need to improve the way they nurture & develop our stars of the future. Move into the current day, flogging kids & coaching by threats or fear doesn't work. Step aside & let someone who has a great relationship with athletes, coaches & works his tail. The former SA boy down in Tassie would be the man to bring this state up to speed. JS has the connections and the energy that would leave NG for dead!

Reply #367979 | Report this post

Concerned  
Years ago

Reply #367980 | Report this post

Years ago

try gymnastics - way heaver workload - even have to change schooling hours.

you only get what you give.

know a person that was in a former eastern european olympic squad - now they knew how to train !

if the benchmark is that - c'est la vie

Reply #367984 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Netball SASI concentrates on strength and conditioning (such as Pilates) and giving their athletes a total program including injury screening etc. Never saw that with basketball SASI and I have had children do both programs.
Basketball does suffer from having seasons and competitions all year where as Netball has it's main season in winter, making a preseason strengthening and fitness a realistic aim. Unfortunately basketball requires peak performance all year with over lapping increased times around Nationals etc, worse if you are a country athlate if you throw in Albury, SA junior Champs +/- Classics.
This is definately risk times for injury esp as these kids are growing++ etc. No wonder they burn out!

Reply #367985 | Report this post

____  
Years ago

what i dont get is how so many of our players still up to standard. how are we not the top state or at least highly competitive every year

Reply #367986 | Report this post

Big Don  
Years ago

Justin would be fantastic! My son had him @ North Adelaide before he jumped ship for greener pastures in the Apple Isle. Man of the people, knows how to get the best out of anyone. I suspect the NBL would be his next step, would be great to see him heading up the SASI program over the next couple of years.

Reply #367990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's certainly lifting Tasmania basketball. I saw his teams in Albury this year, hes making a difference. You may see a similar result with Queensland as well in Tamworth this year, and Scott Butlers influence. Overall its sad for SA to see these people go but at the end of the day what did we do to keep them here?

Reply #368005 | Report this post

Doogie Howser MD  
Years ago

Just ask anybody in the girls programs over in Tasmania and they will have very different opinion to say about how Justin is going.

Not saying he isn't doing good things on the boys side, but the girls side has been left in pieces.

Reply #368015 | Report this post

Ganymede 41  
Years ago

"Metro boys run 4 hour sessions, plus SASI sessions, mid week trial games, individuals all on top of their club trainings & Friday night games! You wonder why so many turn their backs on basketball & discover a social life, or simply play another sport! The expectations put to 14-15 year old kids by Mr Gliddon is ridiculous. The current group of "top level" athletes won't be around by under 18,s, count on it! BSA or SASI need to improve the way they nurture & develop our stars of the future. Move into the current day, flogging kids & coaching by threats or fear doesn't work. Step aside & let someone who has a great relationship with athletes, coaches & works his tail. The former SA boy down in Tassie would be the man to bring this state up to speed. JS has the connections and the energy that would leave NG for dead!
Vote 1 - bring the bear home! Before it's to late!"

Concerned,

Could you please write the appropriate playing and training schedule that you would endorse as preparation for the National Championship? What are your expectations of 14 and 15 year olds please that want to play representative basketball? I'm interested in your thoughts but not opinions on personalities.

Reply #368017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SASI focus must have changed in the last year then because you were a wimp if you sat out with a broken leg under the admin that run it

Reply #368022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SASI no longer have a basketball program, nor does the Head Coach work for SASI. BSA runs this program now. This could be a good thing, with accountability, shaing of information, selections etc open to more than one person & a group of Sturt coaches. Time will tell, will players commit to a program that lived on the SASI prestige or name for the past 20 years?

Reply #368040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i have coached division 1 for a very long time, all my players that have been through the SASI program have been worse off, coming back with bad habits and get burnt out quickly, if you are a good basketballer being a SASI member shouldnt be a prerequisite to making a state team! Forestville's under 18 boys team had 8 SASI members last year and finished 8th at state champs and didnt make winter finals!!

Reply #368046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geez... that doesn't seem right.

Would that be:
1) due to poor coaching
2) poor talent ID on behalf of SASI
3) poor team structure (IE were all 8 the same position?)
4) poor team harmony

I don't know anything about that team but something must have gone wrong! Was their coach a state/SASI coach?

Reply #368053 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

After completing 2 years of sasi,its a funny feeling when you leave .the emails and messages you send to the program leaders ,explaining your exit,do not get answered .Is this abolition at its ugliest ?
They disown you pretty bloody quickly .Im not sure this is the best way to deal with kids.They dont forget.The program is for their 10 best,the rest are just sparring partners .Dont kid yourselves ,they know the teams already .

Reply #368060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SASI = Burn out & bad attitudes. Players think they are a hell of a lot better than they really are! The coaches that attend the sessions do zero, then walk around on a Friday night thinking they are gods.
SASI RIP

Reply #368082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

problem is the program will continue under the same management by another name with all the same coaches equalling more burn out and worse drop outs. BSA runs nothing well.

Reply #368086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every kid in every.country.in Europe is.doing more training at a harder standard than tour precious kids.

If they don't want to be elite. They don't have to participate. And tgey dont have to be in SASI to make State.

Reply #368092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Don't have to be in SASI to make state' yep that's the truth, but surprisingly it is almost exclusively SASI selections and any exceptions are 210 cm tall or connected. SASI is not elite my friend it is elitist, a very subtle but distinctive difference.The majority attending are a selected herd from which only a few are slated for breeding and they are the elite. They only need the other ninety five percent to provide game like training for these few. As for Europeans training more, basketball is a sport there as in the US where opportunities exist 'in reality' not a pithy sideshow like it is here.

Reply #368098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I always find it amazing that the kids who do more work get further ahead too. No idea how that works.

Guess it's easier to do no work, quit anything that may be challenging & blame someone else when you get no where.

Reply #368104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea 104 that is an amazing phenomena especially when in the real world if i dont study hard, dont work hard, dont listen to my boss and dont put more time and effort in I can reach the top of my field....

098 I think you would find there would be around 20-30 South Australian kids playing in Europe or the US! Not to mention the 15+(roughly) playing National league here. Not sure what you are talking about as the sport is a global game.

Reply #368109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The work ethic of ALL the kids at SASI is terrific despite over training but the productivity of the program is another story.
Basketball IS a global sport but a pin prick sport here.
20 or 30 playing in Europe now that's an incentive for the other 99.9%. Does that count the
Greek league and the Spanish league as well as the other euro states that have the world on the brink of bankruptcy?

Reply #368132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not the work ethic of the kids IN SASI I'm commenting on, but those who elect not to do it or pull out of it but still expect to get places.

Not that SASI is the be all & end all, but it's more about that persons work ethic & desire to improve. If they put in hours & hours on their own & think they're doing it better, then good on them & they still deserve to get ahead. However, I also doubt they would be getting the level of coaching that SASI players receive (though I know this may not be a universal opinion).

My problem is with those who do minimal work & wonder why less talented players get better than them & make teams over them.

Reply #368133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 players selected to represent Australia at the Olympics went through SASI. Not bad in my books.

But hey. Don't let the facts get on the way of a good story.

Reply #368140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did SASI produce those players? Somehow Forestville, Southern Tigers & Sturt may feel they had a hand in it. All players attended the AIS also, and two were products of the Pasadeena Basketball focus school program. Hell, one even played on outdoor courts in the country at Junior level!
I figure there are a lot of stakeholders in development, not just the shooting session @ SASI each week.

Reply #368144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True. But how many of those that made the team didn't do SASI?

Can't pick and choose you KPIs to suit.

Reply #368161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone have a list of names for the boys teams?

Reply #368162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If SASI was delivering results why did an independant body, the government, pull the pin on funding due to lack of results??

Reply #368165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how true it is ... THE LAST COMMENT..
and somehow they keep the same fiqure head in charge.

Reply #368660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because the government pulled funding for all non-elite sports except netball. Had nothing to do with results.

Reply #368662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Face it, the wrong crew on the Sasi basketball ship scuttled it like BSA is doing to the sport on a district level.

Reply #368706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So basketball is non-elite? I think you will find it was results driven!!

Reply #368802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other than netnall SASI only looks after Olympic and worlds level athletes.

Reply #368810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is ridiculous statement 810. Below are the SASI sports and believe me they wish, all they had was world class athletes. Rowing is in such a state that they are advertising on the site for tall men and women with arms like apes up to 28 years of age to join their program. SA Basketball has poor retention rates, is very expensive, over trains and is in a mess and until it can sort itself out financial help is a long way off.
The one thing these SASI sports have in common is that they don't require massive overheads like basketball, ie, stadiums for playing and training which equals costs. Netball plays outdoors and has one over riding central playing arena thus travel is minimised as well.
Canoeing
Cycling
Diving
Hockey
Netball
Rowing
Swimming
Trampoline
Volleyball
Waterpolo

Reply #368815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 815 "Netball plays outdoors and has one over riding central playing arena thus travel is minimised as well. "

Tell that to people travelling every week for every game from outer suburbs. Only inter city people and those that live in hypotheticals connect one venue with minimised travel.

Reply #368818 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:17 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754