Anonymous
Years ago

G1: Boomers vs Greece

The stream for Game 1 has now started:

http://freezone.iinet.net.au/player/freezone_sport_boomers-basketball.13559.html

Topic #28585 | Report this topic

rjd  
Years ago

Barlow starting. wow.

Reply #367512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our starting five:

Mills
Ingles
Barlow
Nielsen
Maric

Reply #367513 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Starters: Mills, Ingles, Barlow, Nielsen, Maric

Reply #367514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty opens the scoring.

Reply #367515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty opens the scoring.

Reply #367516 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I'm enjoying watching the fast tempo. Boomers starting well at the defensive end.

Reply #367517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers up 12-4 with 4:33 left in the 1st Qtr

Reply #367518 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

First subs 5 minutes in: Baynes, Wortho, Newley, Delly sub in.

Reply #367519 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

then Gibson comes in for Mills not long after.

Reply #367520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Qtr time

Aus 20
Greece 15

Reply #367521 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Anyone got a boxscore?

Reply #367522 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Delly with a couple very nice passes into Maric. Great to see.

The second unit were not as impressive late in the quarter.

Reply #367523 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Delly-Maric two man game continues. Delly's 3rd assist leading to a Maric basket.

Reply #367524 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Mills lighting it up

I like delly and mills on court together more than any other guard combo they have had on

Reply #367525 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Yeah, combining the more creative passing game of Delly with the scoring punch of Mills.

Reply #367526 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

I know this is early but ive got a nasty suspicion we wont be seeing much of Gibson running the point in London.. he's got Ingles playing as the third PG so far in this game

Reply #367527 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

With Mills in foul trouble, Delly got some extra minutes, but interestingly now Brown is currently going with Ingles-Newley at 1-2.

Reply #367528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half-time

Aus 45
Greece 32

Reply #367530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there doing pretty well... shooting is far far better.... however this Greece team certainly is far from the one who will be going for qualificatioons and id expect a very close game if we were playing with the real ones.

Reply #367531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sir create boxscore
http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/13/05/69/01/47FYRXlCSzPU/

Reply #367532 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

FIBA LiveStats

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/13/05/69/01/47FYRXlCSzPU/

Reply #367533 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

beaten to the punch

Reply #367534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know they are shooting well but 1 off board for the boomers at the half..?

That won't cut it in London

Reply #367535 | Report this post

3 pointer  
Years ago

Can the commentator with gaze please shut up during timeouts so we can listen to what Brett brown has to say!! We don't want to hear you talking crap while we could have the opportunity to listen to a NBA calibre coach's timeout! So frustrating!!

Reply #367537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 Qtr time

Aus 62
Greece 42

The other commentator is Darren Boyd, the ABC's WNBL host.

Reply #367541 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

13-3 off boards at 3/4 time, could really use a Jawai in there.... Jus sayin'

Reply #367543 | Report this post

opt  
Years ago

my stream has failed stopped and failing to reload:(

Reply #367544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

feed stopped workinm?

Reply #367545 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

I like Liz Cambage's beard on the background for the freezone stream

Reply #367546 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Has the iinet feed gone down for anyone else?

Reply #367547 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

me too

Reply #367548 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

boomers suck

Reply #367549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles looks really good, think he has nailed down his starting spot at the 2.

Maric also looks good and could be a surprise packet come london.

Reply #367550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats great curtley now fuck off

Reply #367551 | Report this post

ewre  
Years ago

feed's down :(

Reply #367552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maric - man vs children out there.... he's a beast!!

Reply #367553 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Cant get the feed to reload either. Bit of a shame.

Reply #367554 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

http://theusagetv.org/broadcast/2/2/420396/watch-australia-greece.html

Reply #367555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

feed is back up!

Reply #367556 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

This is a more suscinct team than we saw at Worlds.

Maric, Baynes, Delly and Ingles look a lot more confident than previous showings in the green & gold.

Crawford not playing, should have taken Broekoff.

Reply #367557 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Delly having a very efficient night: 7 points on 3/3 shooting including a 3, and most impressively...

9 assists and 0 turnovers.

Reply #367558 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

This is why Delly needs to start and play the most minutes at point guard. I liked it when they went with both Patty and Delly.

Reply #367559 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Assists:
Delly 9 in 18 minutes
Ingles 8 in 22 minutes
Newley 5 in 25 minutes
Mills 2 in 22 minutes

Reply #367560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the Greek team may be "promising youngsters" but they arent anywhere near the big boys they will be playing come the olympics. There was some great signs for the boomers but they need to get on top of the defensive rebounds... and lets hope the shooting continues then maybe, just maybe they will have a good tournament and do something to be proud of.... Must remember this is there first game as a unit in a year and ofcourse there will be glitches but overall looks like they picked up where they left off and a year wiser.

Reply #367561 | Report this post

Bball Fan  
Years ago

Why would PC not get any game time when he killed it in the YouYi series??

Reply #367562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good game beating a so called second rate Greek team by 20+ points should have been expected. Wish Bogut was out there, would have been an absolute blow out with him anchoring the defense. We really need to start boxing out though, we'll be punished by better teams if we show that kind intesity on rebounds.

Reply #367563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because Bball fan, what you saw today is similar to what you would see in the olympics. His 3 point shot wasnt desperately needed so he never hit the court, hes likely to get more courttime as the series goes on and the guys get tired.

Reply #367564 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

A dominant performance by the two centres against the young Greek frontline.

Maric and Bayne combined well to fill the centre position, combining for 33 points and 11 boards in 36 minutes. Meanwhile, at the 4, Nielsen had 3 boards in 23 minutes and Wortho had 4 boards in 15 minutes.

With rebounding a clear issue, how will Andersen be worked into the lineup? Kickert played just 3 minutes (0 boards, of course), so I presume Andersen might take a few of Nielsen's minutes and a few of Wortho's minutes.

Reply #367565 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Delly is certainly showing what a mature, high IQ PG looks like..very impressive college player. Good to see Patty playing well, he is not a pass-first PG good to see the boomers not trying to make patty do something he ins't capable of, which was the high turnover at the WCs.

Don't really know why nielsen worth is their, isn't athletic anymore doesn't rebound in contest, got away with a lot of cheap hooks and holds that won't fly in London.my bet is will foul out on at least one occasion at the olympics.Would prefer to see Jawai.

Barlow needs to be more aggressive, penetrate and dunk, jump shot, etc. Newley needs to work a great deal on 3pt shot and mid range game.

Reply #367566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah as much as I admire Wortho's hustle and BBall IQ he is too short for the 4 spot in international games. He'll be used in spurts to disrupt defenses and maybe as an offensive spark off the bench on occassions.

Reply #367568 | Report this post

Dione 83  
Years ago

Less shots than the Greeks and out-rebounded- not the dominant performance everyone thinks it was- besides the Greeks are not the same team that is 4th in international standings. Well done Australia in your preparation for the Olympics, you have comfortably beaten the Chinese B and Greek B teams- must be full of confidence.

Reply #367569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better than losing to them. Chinese B team? missing Yi Jianlian makes them an A team i guess. Goose.

Reply #367570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some people will always find something to complain about, what were they suppose to do Dione, not comfurtably beat to tghem? your sarcasm is idiotic... there will be very real teams to play against in the pre-tournament before the olympics and I think we will be well and truly in the mix.

Reply #367572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some people will always find something to complain about, what were they suppose to do Dione, not comfurtably beat to tghem? your sarcasm is idiotic... there will be very real teams to play against in the pre-tournament before the olympics and I think we will be well and truly in the mix.

Reply #367573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah it's a weak Greek team, the wilducats and breakers would beat them, but it's just about getting game time together, and some weak opponents first up to fine tune things before playing tougher opponents is a good thing.

Reply #367574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also Dionne, We beat Chinas A team (yes missing 1 player) with our B team (missing like 8 players or something)... and our A team, (Missing Anderson, one of our most influential players one would think) beat Greeces B team by 27. Which is no small amount in international basketball.... Whilst also giving up all thoes rebounds... (which can be fixed).... wheres your reason for complaint?

Every player who brings an edge to this team wasnt here when we played China anyways... So barring an anti-miracle... you can Lock in a win against china in our pool round. meaning we have 2 more to beat.... Great Britian is also fairly likely win, so we really have to get one of Brazil, Spain (not likely!) and the qualifier.... Id say were in good shape right now, especially now that the threes have dropped and very well could keep going that direction with any luck

Reply #367576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China are at least 20 points better with Yi on court, if not more. Silly argument we are having though, boomers played well and hopefully they will keep improving. Two more games against these kids before a real test against Spain.

Reply #367577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the schedule of the Pre-games tourney?

Reply #367578 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

Nielsen is terrible, I'm sorry but he was just in the way tonight shouldn't of seen the court. Delly patty maric are gonna be dangerous come olympics. Maric is a beast!!!

Reply #367579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder how a team of Australian 25 or 23 and under under would go? There's talk that the Olympics will become an Under 23 tournament like they do for soccer with the purpose of promoting a Basketball World Cup in the future.

Reply #367580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If this is Greece's next generation of players, struggleville for them in the future.

Reply #367581 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Delly was excellent. Mills hit his shots. We need a sterner test to find out where we're at but can't do much more than what we did.

Reply #367582 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

anywhere to see some highlights of this online?

Reply #367594 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Great to see such a high 3-pt % (47%?) - big surprise.

Delly-Patty-Aleks-Baynes played well, but the rest just seemed to be going through the motions.

Without those 4, I reckon we would have struggled to win. We did it tougher than we should have against a woeful opposition.

And I almost threw something at the TV when the commentator talked about it being the Greek national team. BS - I don't even think it was their B team.

Reply #367598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without those 4 other players would have had more opportunity and shots and the entire tam would have played differently.

Reply #367601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I assume you meant to add Newley in there who lead the team in rebunding and had 5 assists even though he had a poor shooting game.

And Ingles who had 8 assists and shot 75% from the field and 50%v from the 3 point line.

Reply #367602 | Report this post

bballmate  
Years ago

Is there any live coverage of the game in Knox tonight?

Reply #367603 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Looks like it's on the iinet freezone, it has a countdown running.

Reply #367611 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I was happy with how we played last night for the most part, though the offence slowed down quite a bit when Delly wasn't in the game. Clearly we played our best basketball on the offensive end when Delly ran the point, Mills played off the ball at the two spot, Ingles at small forward, and Maric in the middle. I'm excited to see how this line-up will go when we throw Andersen into the mix who can spread the floor with his outside shooting.

We had a great shooting night which was pleasing, and I hope this continues. Defensive rebounding was still an issue. At one point when we had both Maric and Baynes on the bench we gave up five straight offensive rebounds. It was like watching Turkey 2010 all over again! This area definitely needs some work. Maric and Baynes we're both impressive, but they need to up their rebounding efforts. 6 and 5 respectively will not get it done against bigger more talented teams.

I loved seeing Brett Brown experiment with Ingles, Newley and Barlow on the floor at the same time, with Ingles running the point. Gives us a nice change lineup to mix it up for five minutes here and there.

I thought Newley was great, and super active all over the floor which showed up in his rebounding and assist numbers, but his jumpshot continues to let him down. I have no doubt that if he could hit the three ball on a consistent basis he'd be in the NBA. He's by far the best athlete we have, and may be the best athlete to ever pull on a Boomers uniform. Slices into the key and finishes great around the rim, but can barely hit the rim when left wide open from the arc. Again, it was another flashback to Turkey 2010.

Overall, despite the opposition, I was happy with how we played. If we get 20+ points out of Patty and 15+ points out of Maric we will win more than we lose. If Brett Brown sticks with the same starters, then we'll have some serious firepower coming off the bench in Andersen, Newley, Delly and Baynes.

Looking forward to game two at the new Victorian State Basketball Centre tonight!

Reply #367613 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A couple of things...the Boomers were effectively playing their first game together as an Olympic team and were occasionally rusty on the defensive end, and are yet to find their offensive cohesion. However there were some really good signs.

The key takeaway from mine is that Australia's best "quarterback" right now is actually Delly and not Mills. Delly arguably played his best game yet in a Boomers uniform, as he had an almost flawless game in running the offence. Watching him run the pick and roll with Maric and then Baynes was an absolute delight, as time and time again he was able to create and then find the open man for easy scores. His decision making was simply amazing, with a pass first mentality, Delly had a game-high 9 assists in less than 20 minutes of action - and importantly with no turnovers! He made great decisions including his own shot selection. Mills sliding across to the 2-spot will probably be our blessing in disguise as Mills simply did not look like missing an open look, whilst defensively Mills can take the opposition’s PG and Delly the SG as has been discussed in other threads.

The other promising aspects were the overall 3-point shooting - the addition of Mills and Ingles to the team has an immediate influence on that, but also the inside offensive play of Maric and Baynes. Baynes did not miss a shot all game.

There were three key disappointments for mine:
1) The poor shooting of Brad Newley
2) The ageing legs of veteran team Captain Matt Nielsen who struggled throughout the game
3) Australia got killed on boards.

I hope Newley can overcome his yips as his slashing and ability to finish on the break helps this team. Rebounding needs to be addressed ASAP.

It is worth noting that apart from the promising talent of Pappas, Greece really did not have anyone else that stood out apatrt frm some good rebounding from their big men. This Greek team is a far inferior opponent to what we will face in the upcoming Olympic warm up tour of Europe where they will first up face the might of Spain.

Nonetheless, this is a great chance for the Boomers to find their cohesion together as a unit and build some confidence prior to leaving our shores.

I hope Brown continues with his rotation where he sticks with the players we need on court to win the game. Crawford and Kcikert seeing viortually no game time is a goiod sign from that regard, and also Gibson not seeing huge minutes was also another good indicator - especially as Mills, Delly, Ingles and Nerwley (apart from his shooting!) were doing a very good job.

Reply #367634 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The good shooting needs a little perspective because of the poor opposition. An eg is Adelaide's opponents last season shot 46% from the field and 36% from 3pt, but Perth's were 42 and 32.

Still, after watching so many misses in recent years it is nice to see them shoot well, and playing Mills at SG should help too even against good oppo. If gives them something to worry about away from the ball.

Reply #367642 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

Nielsen very ordinary! Aleks,Mills,Dell & Ingles were standouts. Baynes,Wortho & Newley handy.

The rebound issue screams one word...JAWAI

Reply #367656 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Not sold on Barlow at all, and would happily see him replaced by Jawai and have Wortho play more at the 3.

Reply #367676 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wortho is not quick enough for the 3 spot kr...

Reply #367678 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

LC, gotta agree with your comments. The boards worried me. Barlow, Neilson & Wortho didn't make as much of an impact at either end as I expected. Ingles & Newley did look good, but I would have expected them to totally dominate the poor opposition.

Reply #367681 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He played it ok in Beijing LC.

Reply #367682 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Is he as quick now as he was then? I'm not sure sure...

Reply #367686 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

I saw the boomers last 2 training sessions and I assure you Jawai is not playing for the boomers...ever! He is such a terrible defender, no concept of playing pick & roll defense both as defender of screen or filling the slot. He blows up far too quickly and that will never change. I also see the positives in his rebounding and low post scoring, but you can't play international ball if your a liability on defense.

I would be interested in what people at the game have to say about Nielsen's game as he generally leads well verbally, almost like you expect a PG to continually coach the guys from the floor.

Reply #367689 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He played PF in the NBL in 08 and mostly SF this year, so Id say he is just as capable of playing SF.

Reply #367691 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I'm inclined to give some of Barlow's minutes at the 3 spot to Wortho. I agree with paul that Worthington, while not the ideal package at that position, can handle the 3 at international level.

I'd be interested to hear other people's opinion about in what way Barlow is superior to Wortho. Not theoretically by looking at their bodies, but their actual effectiveness in the game.

Reply #367719 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He is a better three point shooter, but doesnt get many shots for the Boomers. He is also a different type of defender, better technically while Wortho is great in the effort areas. Barlow's turnaround from the post is money, but I dont remember a play being run for him in recent years.

Like Damian Martin, Barlow just doesnt seem to fit in this system, and I dont think he is going to get many minutes.

Reply #367730 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Yes, I agree that Barlow is the superior spot 3 point shooter, although -- maybe this is just my perception -- that Worthington is more clutch and reliable in important situations. I also like that Wortho is more creative with his passing.

Barlow's post game is good, but as you said requires an opportunity in the system, and he had a very reliable mid-range pullup with the Tigers (tangent: why is an Aussie with a mid-range game such a rare sight?).

I'm yet to see Barlow provide much of this with the Brown Boomers, whether that be due to not asserting himself or lack of opportunities in Brown's system. Barlow was disruptive on defense last night, though, but then so was Wortho. IMO, it's a good battle between the two for 3-spot minutes. Looking at Barlow's passivity on offense, perhaps the role on offense is merely someone who is reliable when presented with open shots.

Reply #367733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like it's on the iinet freezone, it has a countdown running.

The countdown until the stream stops working?

Reply #367753 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree with you rjd, Wortho has been much better for the Boomers in recent years.

I actually like the two of them playing together to spread the floor and give us a lot of versatility at both ends.

Reply #367757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont see any countdown>>>????

Reply #367759 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

No stream AFAIK. Any livestats?

Reply #367770 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754