Anonymous
Years ago

Strength of European Leagues?

Hi guys,

Whenever people talk about basketball in Australia the topic of overseas basketball inevitably comes to mind.

What I'm wondering is, what are some of the leagues over there, and how do they compare to Australia's Big V State Champ, SEABL and NBL, in terms of standard of play and salary?

For example, I know Adrien Sturt who is playing big V for Ringwood this year also plays BBL for the Milton Keynes Lions. He is averaging arguably similar numbers in both leagues, but is probably paid much more overseas than he is here.

Topic #28601 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Well, there is a big variety of leagues, but there is also a growing amount of parity as the popularity of basketball spreads around Europe. The NBA is obviously the best in the world but the powerhouse Euroleague clubs are cutting the gap.

After that comes the Spanish league, without a doubt, they have easily the most international level talent on their rosters. I would say the top two NBL teams would be in the 6th-12th range in this comp.

For mine the Russian league/VTB United heads up the next pack, ahead of the Greek league (thanks to its country's economic woes) and Italy, Turkey and the Adriatic League, with Germany, France and Israel not too far behind. Judging by performances of players who transfer between the leagues I would put the NBL somewhere in this overall group.

The BBL you speak of is at the other end of the scale for European leagues. The BBL, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Slovakia etc could be compared to ABA leagues in Australia but I imagine most of them pay a lot better!

Reply #367800 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Very good summary from Paul right there...

Reply #367807 | Report this post

Andros  
Years ago

Best leagues in Europe is like this:

1. Euroleague
2. Spanish League
3. United League
4. Greek League
5. Italian League
6. Eurocup
7. Turkish League
8. Adriatic League
9. German League
10. French League

The rest really don't even matter much honestly.

I disagree that NBA is clearly better than Euroleague. Because it most definitely isn't.

BTW, I think NBL is one of the most underrated leagues in the world.

Reply #367819 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I wasnt saying that the NBA is a long way ahead of the Euroleague, but I think it is definitely still number one. The top Euroleague clubs are up there, but the bottom half of the Euroleague is still a bit behind.

Reply #367829 | Report this post

Andros  
Years ago

That's true, but that's just because of the fact that Euroleague is not a closed league.

The NBA is a closed league. That's the difference.

So of course the Euroleague will always have 4-5 teams that are not at the right level, and usually 1-3 that are awful.

But that's the way all European sports systems are.

It's not really fair to judge a closed league versus an open one on the bottom teams.

The only fair way is to judge the teams that are always in the league by comparison.

Reply #367831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBA and FIBA have different rules so it's impossible to compare leagues. You can only compare the talent and the NBA is by far the best. The Euroleague has no where near the superstar talent that the NBA has.

Reply #367832 | Report this post

Andros  
Years ago

That's not true. Only people that only watch NBA believe that.

Reply #367833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A game is decided by which team plays the best, not how well they are marketed!

Reply #367836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is true.

The best European players play in the NBA. The others that don't make it struggle with the athleticism and rule changes. They usually struggle on the defensive end which is fifty percent of the game.

The USA could send three teams to the Olympics and they will be their biggest threats for gold. The world has gotten better but the discrepancy of talent is still huge.

Reply #367837 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, compare Rubio's latter seasons in Europe with his numbers in the NBA. It's not so clear cut.

Reply #367841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really. When NBA teams now play Euroleague teams in Europe it is an even money bet. This years Euroleague final four would beat the majority of NBA teams if they played under FIBA rules. Under NBA rules and in the USA the yanks still have a clear edge.

Reply #367842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's true but remember he was drafted in the top 5 as a 19 year old so yeah, NBA scouts were confident he could translate his game in to the NBA or else you wouldn't get drafted so high unless you're Jordan and draft Adam Morrison.

As for his numbers, his minutes and assists went up drastically but his shooting percentage hasn't improved at all. The defensive 3 second rule and his pick n roll skills have opened up his opportunities for assists in my opinion, he's really adept at getting in the lane and making right decisions which would be harder to accomplish regularly if teams were playing legitimate zone defenses.

I'm not discrediting the European talent, I'm just pointing out the differences. It's impossible to compare leagues. Soccer fans know all about that. The only way they can be compared is through a Champions League type tournament which will likely never happen again.

Reply #367844 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I watched alot of BBL back in September-December (based in UK). The standard was between ABA and NBL IMO, maybe a slight notch above the local Central ABL (mostly due to the number of imports playing on European passports). The money was worse than our NBL but the best players were getting much more than the Central ABL.

Sorry can't compare to SEABL etc because I've never seen a game.

Reply #367846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Europe

NBL

Reply #367856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for that helpful comment, youve obviously studied it closely.

Going back to the zone issue, you dont actually get a heap of zone in the Euroleague or Spain, but you do get a lot of good, team man-to-man defence which the defensive three seconds makes a lot more difficult.

Reply #367858 | Report this post

Pallas64  
Years ago

It is true.

The best European players play in the NBA. The others that don't make it struggle with the athleticism and rule changes. They usually struggle on the defensive end which is fifty percent of the game.

The USA could send three teams to the Olympics and they will be their biggest threats for gold. The world has gotten better but the discrepancy of talent is still huge.

------------------------------------

As someone that follows both leagues very closely, I can say that this is 100% false.

Reply #367898 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Haha, so many egos here. Just chill out guys.

Reply #367909 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

And where does the Chinese league sit compared to the NBL? Anyone actually know?

Reply #367913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

one comment on the Greek league just by searching all the guys currently out here playing against the Boomers, they all play in the Greek league. Yes they are playing against our available best but none of them are bounds ahead of say Cadee or Wagstaff etc etc

Reply #367916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you give examples of the stars in Europe? I'll definitely be watching them when they play the Boomers and the USA. It will be interesting to see these players trying to guard Westbrooke, Durant and Lebron.

Anyway, I'm sorry but you're kidding yourself if you think Europe can compete with America at the moment. The USA rejuvinated its international program back in 2008 where they were'nt just arrogant fucks anymore, but an extremely good team (probably an understatement). Two years later in 2010 they send a completely different team and still win the World Championship.

As for th zone issue, you are allowed to play a zone in the NBA but you cannot stand in the key for more than 3 seconds as a defender whereas in Europe you can. You can play a rolling man to man defensive zone and always clog up the key at the same time. Much more difficult to get in the lane. That's why the USA like to play transition basketball rather setting up in the half court.

Reply #367919 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anon, you are comparing the USA with each individual European nation, but this discussion is about the Euroleague and the NBA. The absolute best teams in the Euroleague have many of the best players from across the entire continent, not just one country, making the international comparison irrelevant here.

As Ive said earlier, the NBA is the best, but some of the top Euroleague teams have beaten NBA teams recently showing there isnt a big difference. In the past five years it is 4-3 for games between the two leagues played in Europe. When played in the USA though the NBA sides have a clear advantage, showing they are still the number one league.

Reply #367923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In 2008 although the USA won by 11 in the final over Spain the game was far closer than the score would suggest. In 2010 Durant was just a total monster and the Europe contingent were missing lots of players due to injury etc.

The USA are still far better than anyone else but as shown by Greece back in 2006 against a USA team that had the STARS in Lebron etc on their day the europeans can beat anyone.

Reply #367929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes that's true, a bit off topic guess but what I'm really trying to compare is the level of talent between the two. That can only be compared through meaningful games on an intetnational level on an even playing field where no team has an advantage and unforunately there is no such tournament.

Maybe I'm just blinded by the top echelon of the NBA. Where there are maybe 10 teams with an absolute abundance of talent and the standard is incomparable to any other league in the world.

Reply #367933 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, the cream of the crop in the NBA has the rare mix of sublime skill and incredible athleticism. It is hard to match that, and certainly it would be hard to see the Euroleague champion beating the NBA champion over seven games when they had time to dissect their changing defences etc. A one-off game would be a bit more open.

One advantage the top Euroleague clubs to overcome the rarity of absolute superstars (though there are still a few in that league) is not having a salary cap, so they can get 10 of the best Europeans. As Miami showed, once an NBA team gets a few stars they have to compromise with who they put on the rest of their roster.

Reply #367935 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I would like an opinion of others on how teams such as Barcelona,Real Madrid or the big two in Greece would fare in the NBA.

Would they finish ahead of the Bobcats or some of the other bottom dwellers if they played under NBA rules?

Where would they finish if the NBA was played under FIBA rules? (I personally wish it was)

Reply #367937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team that wins the Euroleague (the mid-week Basketball equivalent to the UEFA Champions League) would beat a middle of the road team (say Utah). They would probably make the playoffs over an 82 game season, because they have the funds and resources to do so.

Would the Euroleague champions beat the Miami Heat in a one off? Possibly.

I never think of Euroleague as a "league", more a mid-week competition. It's like, what's more important, winning the Premier League or the FA Cup?

Spain and Greece are a cut above, Italy and Turkey are probably next.

Reply #367938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe scratch into the Top 20 teams in the NBA at best but certainly wouldn't be playoff material. Also keep in mind the worst 6-7 teams in the NBA each season are essentially tanking to try and get a better lottery pick in the following draft.

Realistically the #1 club team in the world outside the NBA would only be better than around 3-4 of the 30 NBA teams.

Under FIBA rules? I don't think it would make too much difference given the superior scouting in the NBA and these european clubs couldn't handle 82 game schedules plus playoffs which can turn into 100 game seasons.

Reply #367940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would the Euroleague champions beat the Miami Heat in a one off? Possibly.

I'd be surprised if they got within 20 points of the Heat to be honest. Best of seven series obviously the Heat 4-0.

The elephant being ignored in the middle of the room here is that when these Euro clubs play EXHIBITION games against NBA teams (usually crap teams at that) is that it is the start of that NBA teams pre-season and they usually rest their top players but if they do play they play very limited minutes.

Reply #367943 | Report this post

Titan  
Years ago

There would be plenty of guys playing Euroleague who would be able to make an NBA roster.

Problem is that they would need to take a serious paycut as they would start on NBA minimum while in Europe they can get big dollar deals.

Why play an 82 game season for $750K when you can play 50 - 60 games For $5M?

Reply #367951 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The top Euro teams already play around 60 games (Tel Aviv played 80-odd this year), plus maintain a heavy training schedule, so the number of games probably wouldnt be a factor.

I am not sure how they would go under NBA rules for a full season because of the athleticism, but played under FIBA rules they have a big advantage of experience in that style and I think it would be an even mony proposition.

When people make the argument that NBA teams spread minutes in the pre-season games they seem to forget that so do the Euroleague teams!

When Barcelona beat LA a couple of years back the Lakers ran all their starters 25+ minutes whereas Barce only had three players over 25.

Reply #367961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What you didn't mention paul was in that hybrid NBA/FIBA rules game Kobe was coming back from injury/offseason surgery and only played 25 minutes after playing just 6 minutes in the exhibition game before that.

Reply #367965 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's exactly my point, people make 'excuses'for the NBA team without having any knowledge of what the Euroleague team did. You dont think Barcelona were nursing or missing anyone?

Reply #367966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who were they missing? Three of their starters played 32 minutes or more. The Lakers were missing Bynum too!

Reply #367998 | Report this post

Rabbit58  
Years ago

I would like an opinion of others on how teams such as Barcelona,Real Madrid or the big two in Greece would fare in the NBA.

Would they finish ahead of the Bobcats or some of the other bottom dwellers if they played under NBA rules?

Where would they finish if the NBA was played under FIBA rules? (I personally wish it was)

Reply -->

I have NBA league pass and I have been an NBA fan for years. I also have Euroleague TV and have followed it a lot for the last 5 years or so.

Truthfully,

The Euroleague Final Four teams of this year:

Under mixed NBA/FIBA rules and refs. Like what the NBA Europe Live Tour games are played under. 60% NBA rules/40% FIBA rules, with 2 NBA refs/1 FIBA ref, under those same rules...........

Barcelona - they would beat any NBA team in a 7 game series.

CSKA - they will beat every single NBA team in a 7 game series.

Panathinaikos - they will beat every NBA team in a 7 game series.

Olympiacos - they will beat every single NBA team in a 7 game series.

Now, if we go by the NBA only rules and 3 NBA refs.......

Then,

Barca will beat every NBA team but Miami in a 7 game series.

Panathinaikos will beat every NBA team in a 7 game series. Caveat being, they will lose to Miami in a 7 game series without home advantage. But with home advantage, they will beat Miami.

CSKA - I don't think it matters what rules. In all truth, I think they beat ay NBA team in a 7 game series, even under NBA rules.

Olympiacos - I would hate to see it happen if I was an NBA fan. because even under NBA rules, the NBA teams stand no chance in hell.

Reply #367999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Euroleague is great Rabbit, and heaps of other international league teams are good too such as the Breakers, but you are either dreaming or stirring if you think those teams are all going to beat NBA teams in 7 game series.

Reply #368011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how do differentiate 60% NBA rules and 40% FIBA rules in these games? What rules are different?

This is beyond silly now. No one can definitively say which teams will win over 7 games with some hybrid rules changes. Until there's some kind of basketball revolution where all organizations finally agree to merge we will never know.

Reply #368056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rabbit... I hate watching the nba and love euro ball. But wat you just said is genuinely stupid

Reply #368240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South Dragons would of beaten Alba Berlin in 7 games. $10 on it.

Reply #368264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's clearly shit stirring.

Reply #368269 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:45 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754