LC
Years ago

G2: Boomers vs Greece B Team

Solid start by the Boomers, Ingles on fire early. Barlow starts again?

Topic #28602 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Boomers rebounding far improved so far leading the count 19-80 as we lead 44-24 with less than 2 in the 2nd quarter.

Reply #367793 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Barlow with zilch of anything in almost 7 minutes as a starter. Sorry but I never have got what he (supposedly) brings to the team. Ingles continuing his good form with 15 points.

Reply #367795 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Half time leading 45-26.

Ingles leads all scorers with 15 points on 6/9 shooting, 2/2 from downtown alongside 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and 1 block with no turnovers.

Maric has 7 points on 8 rebounds.

Aussies shooting 5/8 from 3PT range so far.

Boomers have 22 rebounds to 9.

12 turnovers to 10 the only black mark so far from what I can see via the live stats - the only option available to me.

Reply #367801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow fulfills our wacky hairstyle quota FIBA demands each team supplies.

Reply #367802 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Nielsen has 6 points and 2 rebounds and looks like he is contributing this game so far.

Crawford no minutes to date yet again, and the same with Kickert.

Would like to think Crawford gets a few inutes to at least build some confidenceotherwise what is he on the team for? The last thing we want is to get to London, need a perimeter threat and he checks in...but the guy has not played for nearly a month?

Reply #367803 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Because I can only "catch" the game via Live Stats, has anyone else noticed that BA have spelt a certain assistant coach's name wrong?

Reply #367805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its funny. Barlow "looks" like a good player and like your usual european gun. But he just isnt! Nothing I have seen from him in the past 2 years suggests he belongs in the Boomers if not for his height and well and truly underused athleticism

Reply #367806 | Report this post

anonym  
Years ago

where do you see the livestat?

Reply #367808 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

Live stats
http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/13/05/69/02/92baYWSoOPS/

Go Joe!

Reply #367812 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

We win easily, 91-51 which is what I was kinda of expecting in game 1 to be honest...

Newley struggling with his shot yet again...5/12 after being 3/10 and 0/3 from downtown...

Delly running the pick and roll again by the looks of it with Baynes in particular

Wortho turning it on on 4/6 shooting with 3/5 from downtown for 15 points.

Ingles with 17 points to lead all scorers.

Reply #367820 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

I thought in game 1 Joe looked very classy without dominating, but tonight what a great job. delly running the point, im sure baynes and maric will be better with delly running the show. Again Newley cant shoot the ball which is a worry. looks like we turned the ball over a bit though. better on the rebounds tonight. cant wait to play spain. really want to see where we are at, but its good signs though

Reply #367825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a shame that we couldnt get the real greece team down here. But yeah you have to beat the opposition yua got and so far, these past 2 games with essentially our A team have been as good as one could expect.

Reply #367828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson 8 points, 3/3, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, 1 turnover. Good to see. If he can contribute on offence then we get more time with his defence which makes a big difference.

Reply #367830 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Barlow has great hair but unless he gets multiple visible tatts I cosider him one-dimensional.

Reply #367834 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

I was at both games. Game 1 was a professional outing, the Boomers executed plays it had clearly been polishing since the sloppy YouYi series. Roles within the team were being defined as different lineups were rotated through (regardless of the situation as there was never any scoreboard pressure).

Tonights game (after a rampaging start) turned into more of a "playing down to the opposition" level at times...at least offensively. The ball was moving around the arc beautifully but stagnated when we fed it into the post (the addition of Anderson might alter this but Baynes showed promise).

However, the defense tonight was awesome (Barlow was shutting dudes down - probably why Brown is a fan, not stat gathering but very effective). Greece were harassed all night and by the end they'd dropped their heads, lost their composure, and ended up playing ugly and comitting a lot of cheap/lazy/dirty(ish) fouls which the Boomers didn't bite on or fight back (not even Wortho who was belted a few times).

Even if the competition isn't strong, the boys really seem to be on the same page and should be feeling good about themselves as a unit on both ends of the floor (which is about as much as any team can do at this point).

Reply #367840 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Why can't BA send someone with a phone camera to film it and upload on youtube, that would be within budget wouldn't it?

I like Boguts suggestion of the boomers playing against the best of the rest of NBL players that didn't make the cut and include imports. that would be a better test then against this Greece B team.

Reply #367845 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

patty played 18mins but only hit a couple 3pointers quiet night by his standards.

Greece shot only 25% from 3pt territory, thats not going to happen at the olympics against quality opposition

Reply #367847 | Report this post

Years ago

yes lance - i think that would be good playing a nBl team - but they would not be very well rehearsed as a team.

It is good for the future playing this greek team

Reply #367848 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71ZUXUd1tB8

David Andersen highlights from NBA

Reply #367851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see Wortho continuining his solid form. Can't believe some people thought he shouldn't be on the team.

Reply #367853 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Sorry to be negative after such a big win, but BA deserves some flak.

It's a shame that the standard of the opposition is so poor after BA building it up.

It's disappointing that BA seemed to be happy to showcase this game to a maximum of 2000 people. It is very rare to have the opportunity to see a full-strength national team -- especially on home soil -- and yet BA can only get one out of three games televised or streamed.

You'd expect the men's national team to be the pinnacle of the sport in this country, but BA make it difficult for even hardcore fans to follow. The Opals get more coverage. The BA website practically hid information about the YouYi series, including the iinet stream. Thankfully, this forum exists so some people can find links to streams (when they exist) and live stats.

The Boomers games should be the main feature in the BA calendar.

Reply #367854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hear, here rjd!

Reply #367855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A combined NBL team wouldnt work because they wouldnt know each other's games. They should just play against Perth with a couple of ring-ins to cover injuries, that would be a good workout for sure.

Reply #367859 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

It took BA 3.5 hours to announce the team on their own website. Read it on 4 other sites before BA got around to it. Agree with rjd quite a bit. Boomer score / games not mentioned on the news last night nor on the breakfast TV shows.
Also have to wonder how much good beating a sub par opposition is in preparation for some real teams.

Reply #367860 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Agree with your assessment of the game Harry Balls. Offence was a bit sloppy, especially when compared with game 1, but the defence was outstanding. We we're swarming all over the court, with plenty of traps at the half court line which caused the Greeks plenty of trouble, and enabled us to get out and run.

As for Barlow, he is in the team for his defence and his three-point shooting, nothing more. He has the ability to hit shots from the perimeter, and he can defend (well) multiple positions. Plus he doesn't demand the ball, or need it to be effective, which is why he's found himself in this starting role. With Patty, Ingles and Maric dominating the ball, its nice to have Barlow and Nielsen in their to defend and scrap and only take shots when they're wide open. Plus it allows Newley to provide a massive injection and spark as a sixth man, which I think is a great role for him internationally.

Reply #367861 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

rjd, I also agree that BA deserves some flak overall for their tardiness in respect of making information about the Boomers/Opals available to the public. Especially the Boomers, as the Opals have certainly gotten more attention from head office recently, but perhaps that is reflective of their standing as a former world champion and three time Olympic silver medallist.

BA has shown the ability to provide good coverage, when they choose too. Their was a couple of fantastic videos from the Opals camp in Canberra, yet we saw nothing like that for the Boomers. The media area does need to lift, though I give them credit for the 'Countdown' series which I've enjoyed. It would be good to see more of that type of thing. I don't understand in this day and age why they can't utilise youtube alot more and provide daily updates from camps, interviews with coaches and players, and coverage of scrimmage games.

On the other hand thought, I do give BA credit for hosting a first class event on Sunday night. I love the concept of the Opals/Boomers double headers in the big arenas, as a marquee event, and hope to see more of this in future.

Reply #367863 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Well said rjd and Vart.

Reply #367864 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

well you all know my opinions on the administration running this game. Useless. now they have kristina running the show. she has never run her own business, never had to pay staff, never had to market, create leads/new customers, grow brand, invest and make tough decisions. I hope she proves me wrong and i hope she is a success because basketball in australia deserves better.

Should have tried to convince a bruno cullen or someone like that who is a proven, successful sports administrator with alot of pull.

Reply #367869 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Pretty good idea from Bogut .
Bruce Jawai Kahzzouh going against the Boomers
would give them a hurry up .

Reply #367879 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

sitiveni.

"a proven sports administrator with a lot of pull".

bruno cullen has got it done in one market with an ice to eskimos proposition. Selling the Bronco's to Brisbane? Shite, that would be difficult.

Maybe Brian Cook would be a much better example, building a club that was a disaster with significant debt into one of the most respected organisations Australia has seen in professional sport, and all of that in a small market. Having said that BA could not afford him and probably could not afford bruno cullen either.

While you raise legitimate questions about Keneally I think she is a fantastic appointment, and she certainly has lots of influence and pull in a space where basketball has struggled.

Reply #367894 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

lets just hope keneally has the same contacts and respect that bruno has. Ive known bruno for 18 years and im not going to get into a debate in here with you HO but until Basketball is on Free to Air at prime time the game will never be what it could be. Thing is big business and executives at both channel 9, fox and now 10 have so much respect for bruno and i have no doubt he would be able to get a good TV deal for BA. Its about taking the game to the next level, the level it should be at. Lets just hope Kristina has the same kind of "Pull" with people like David Gyngell as a brunco cullen does.

Reply #367910 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

sitiveni, in case you missed the news, BA just signed the best FTA TV deal they've had in over 10 years, so things are looking up in that area.

Reply #367911 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sitiveni please don't think I am having a crack at Cullen. The fact is that the job Cook has had to do at Geelong and the job that faces Keneally at BA is much harder than what Cullen has faced at Brisbane.

It's like Gary Pert at Collingwood. Much easier running a big, dominant club that has never really been in a weak position than rebuilding Geelong or trying to build basketballs profile.

The Bronco's own Qld and Brisbane.

Reply #367960 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Have to say the boys appeared to be in top physical shape. Much better than they looked during the last Olympics!

Reply #367967 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Vart i do agree, it is a much better deal then weve had, which is good but we can and should do better. hopefully we can build on this and move forward. cant afford to fall back again.

Reply #367989 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I definitely agree sitiveni. Hopefully they can continue a positive relationship with Ten/One and keep the game on FTA. Would be great to get a couple of games on Fox as well, then with the digital broadcasts, hoops fans should be able to follow the NBL like never before.

Reply #368003 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Latrentis, the number one goal for the Boomers is to be the fittest and best conditioned team in London, and you're right, they all look to be in great shape. They're running out the games strongly and with ease. It's great to see. Most of the players seem to have added quite a bit of upper body strength too, which is a good sign given the physical nature of international basketball.

Reply #368004 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:32 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754