Matt Ryan
Years ago

Joe Ingles was approached by AFL team in 2010

COURTESY OF ADELAIDE NOW

Richmond approached Boomers star Joe Ingles about making a shock switch from basketball to AFL.

The Tigers confirmed they targeted the 203cm powerhouse among several other basketballers in Damien Hardwick's first year as coach in 2010.

"Damien had a chat and kick with him to see if he was interested," football chief Craig Cameron said.

Although the club's adventurous recruiting plot went no further, friends are convinced the 24-year-old has the ability to make a seamless transition to the AFL.

A keen footballer as a junior, Ingles's athleticism will next month help spearhead the country's Olympic medal hopes in London.

Former South Melbourne Dragons owner Mark Cowan, who is on a sub-committee at Richmond, helped alert the club to Ingles's talent. Cowan likened his football potential to West Coast sensation Nic Naitanui.

"I've got no doubt he could do it (swap to AFL) because it is the way he moves," Cowan said.

"You can see he's got the turn of pace, the explosiveness and speed, and obviously at 203cm he's got the vertical leap side of things covered.

"I've had an occasional kick with him. He's a left footer and he's a very accurate and penetrating kick. He can kick 50 metres. The closest player to him in the AFL at the moment is Nic Naitanui."

The 2007 NBL rookie of the year - who is totally focused on basketball heading into his second Olympics - said the football club's interest in him was short-lived.

"I was about to go to Europe at the time and start that (so) it died off pretty quickly," Ingles said.

AFL players with basketball backgrounds include Collingwood's Scott Pendlebury, Melbourne's Jack Watts and North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein.

Ingles is contracted to play another season for Regal FC Barcelona after becoming only the second Australian to win the 2012 Spanish league championship this month.

Topic #28608 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

This sort of thing annoys me. AFL poaching basketballers!

But then again if they are smart & good enough at basketball they will realise that, yes there may be more money in AFL BUT basketball has world wide opportunities, not just the NBL.

Personally i'd prefer to play basketball, a sport i love & live for, for minimum money rather than play for a sport i'm not 100% into.

Reply #368013 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

AND Joe would be on a better wage in Europe than if he was in the AFL,

Reply #368014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the case of joe, there's far more money in basketball. European contracts are enormous. Footy salaries don't come close.

Reply #368016 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

He'd be on more cash than just about every player in the AFL...expect maybe Ablett.

Reply #368018 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Jack Watts is a perfect example of a great basketballer being horrible at AFL. He took the money and ran when he should of stuck with Basketball. I would say he would be the answer to our 2 spot issue in the Boomers team for London right now.

Reply #368019 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The post title is a little misleading as Ingles never seriously considered switching to AFL...

Reply #368031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would rather play basketball at a low wage than afl at a high wage!? Easier said than done when the $$$ are shown to you I'd say.

Reply #368032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how good are some of the players who chose AFL could the definitely be starters on the national team or would the just be average nbl players?

Reply #368034 | Report this post

reggie  
Years ago

During Collingwoods midseason visit to Arizona this year, the coaches went and visited with Hugh Greenwood at New Mexico. They want him badly.

Reply #368044 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Topic changed from "Joe Ingles almost a Tiger" because it's ambiguous and overplaying the situation. Any of us could "almost" be married to 10 Victoria's Secret girls just by way of having yelled out "Hey girls, interested in all marrying me at once?"

(Oh, the wedding night!)

Did they have a fake picture of Ingles mocked up in an AFL uniform and some lame text like "Computer generated image: What Joe might've looked like as a Tiger!11!"

Bit telling that the most they got out of Joe was the one line. The guy is playing in Europe and heading to the Olympics - he'd rightfully be pretty happy with his lot in life.

Reply #368048 | Report this post

Johnny  
Years ago

Jack Watts the starting 2 guard of the Boomers? I can't believe everyone skipped over that...
lol

Reply #368134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles was interviewed on SEN last night - said he had 1 phone call with Hardwick. Didn't have a kick of the footy with him, just a phone call.

The phone call was 3 years ago when the Dragons went bust.

Again, the AFL gets a bit insecure about its place in the world. There's Wimbeldon, the Olympics, the Tour De France, Euro 2012, Black Caviar at Ascot, the Boomers playing games here in Melbourne and the media (a complicit bunch of sycophants) write about a phone call that happened 3 years ago.

They keep bleating about how the game is the best in the world. If it is, open it up 100% to market forces, stop changing the rules and get it played internationally.

I wish someone, a player, would just come out and call it like it is and tell them to get stuffed and praise basketball for what it is. Stick up for the sport.

When Bogut was interviewed by McGuire on EMT, all he wanted to talk about was footy and how Bogut went for Essendon. There was NO MENTION of the Boomers. None.

Reply #368341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh on EMT eddie was attempting to get Bogut to say that Ingles should have considered AFL but bogut quickly said he is earning a lot more in Europe than he could ever get in the AFL

Reply #368342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly.

What a rubbish interview. Ingles wants to get paid top $ for his services and test himself against the best in the world - not play a provincial sport in a tiny market.

Reply #368348 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:17 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754