Anonymous
Years ago

Tall Blacks - Brazil

The Tall Blacks went down to Brazil (who is in the same group as the boomers in London) by 20+

Top scorer was 17yo webster with 8..

What a junk team!

Boxscore here:

http://cbb.com.br/Competicoes/Show?name=&file=competicoes/ev1814/tabelajogo.asp?e=1814&jogo=2

Topic #28615 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

So embarrassing as a NZer.

What's worse is that Nene and Varejao played limited minutes, and they were without Leandro.

If this team wanted to, they could have won by 40 + tonight. Brazil were just cruising.

I really support Jeff Green's criticism of this team.
He reckoned that the TB's were better sending a team to China, hence saving some money and still developing the players (choosing younger guys).

But instead, the TB's and Vucinic in particular have not been realistic and biting off more than they can chew.
So they think it is smart to take our allocated annual funding and go out to spend it on something which yields little value (Guys like Kenney, Allen, Tait, Bartlett); not exactly the future of our program.

Cheers the TB's for wasting all of BBNZ's allocated SPARC funding.

Now the U19s, and other players who are 20-22, have no chance of attending development tours.

I love what the Breakers are doing. They now have more annual tours than BBNZ..They send a youth Breakers team to Melbourne every year and a 'Bench Breakers team/NZNBL' team to China.

Reply #368121 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wow, shooting off like that after one practice game! And using Jeff 'me me me' Green as a reference point? Wow. Which China trip would you have them on? The one that got cancelled?

There is not much they could do once Penney and Abercrombie pulled out. They went from contender to pretender in a few days. Suggesting they pull out of a major FIBA tournament and give a month's notice is beyond ridiculous. That would have come back to bite them.

As it is, a number of guys wholl probably be around for at least two more world cups (Pledger, Bartlett, Bloxham, Webster, Loe, Trueman, Henry) get five games against good international opponents, not in mickey mouse practice tournaments.

Reply #368129 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't usually support what Green does. He can come in with very extremist and often unnecessary comments.

But I think he makes a fair point here. $350,000 is a lot of money to spend on a tournament without top players.

But I do also find merits in the other side of things paul.

If they can get Angola, then play an absolute blinder and knock of Macedonia, then they will set up a QF against Dominican Republic (who are very very good team with Cali as coach and Horford, Sosa and Garcia)

But hopefully we can play with such a unique style (up and down), that will throw teams out of sync.

So there you go paul, I like Greens argument, but I do acknowledge there are points on the other side.

What really angers me is that, in stark contrast to Australia, internationally, nothing is done for players who are 19+.

Whereas, Australian 19 y.o+ who come back to Aus for summer have tours, tournaments and games to play for in a developmental sense.

Reply #368138 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Vukona really have a donut in 22 mins?

Reply #368139 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Vucinic started Vukona at the 3 spot.

He ran with Tait, Allen, Vukona, Frank and Pledger.

Wonder if playing the swingman position took him out of his comfort (the post/the mid post/anywhere inside the key)

Reply #368142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tait, Allen, Vukona, Frank and Pledger!? That lineup probably wouldn't win the nznbl!!

Or am I being dramatic??

Reply #368146 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry MACDUB, I went a bit overboard there!

Had they known several months out that Penney and Abercrombie werent playing then the option you mention might have had some merit if it meant they could definitely get two decent tours - one for the senior team and one for an 'emerging' team.

With those two they were a chance to make the Olympics so they had to go for it.

I dont agree re the youth development though. In previous times yes, but in recent years Pledger, Abercrombie, Loe, Anthony, Fotu, Bloxham and the two Websters have all had a chance from teens or early 20s. That compares well with pretty much any country.

It would be nice if the Prewsters, Ruscoes, Andersons etc could get more opportities, but what is really needed is another NBL team for those guys.

My only gripe with this team might be taking Kenny ahead of Te Rangi, who would have benefitted immensely from the experience assuming he was available.

Still, knowing Vucinic he has a plan in mind that builds up to the game against Angola, and in each of the lead up games he will working on various things to help them win that game and progress to the QFs. He would have no interest in just making these practice games close just to impress fans.

Reply #368147 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Jeff "the Maori" Green is painful, in saying that I didn't support spending $ on the only 12 players we could scrape together just for the sake of it.

Reply #368169 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NZ went down 99-69 to Greece today, winning the boards easily (16 o-boards to 4), but coughing up 20 turnovers to just 6.

Tai Webster got a start with Lindsay Tait rested and again top-scored with 18p on 6/10 in 26mins.

Mika Vukona had 15p on 4/11 and 8r in 30mins, Alex Pledger had 13p on 5/9 and 10r including 6 offensive in 22mins and Everard Bartlett had 11p on 4/9 and 3r in 21mins.

http://legado.cbb.com.br/vivo.asp?e=1814&j=15483&t=3

Reply #368175 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mystro, that's easy to say in hindsight, but the money had been committed well before they knew they wouldnt have their full team. Chuck Penney, Abercrombie, Adams and Fotu along with Frank and the five mentioned above and that's an exciting team.

Reply #368176 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB, still - from a captain (?) needing to step up in the absence of Penney and Abercrombie. He can play either position IMO. Not the sort of outing to quiet the "just an NBL roleplayer" comments from the other day!

At least he picked up in the following game.

That's against a stronger Greek team than the Boomers faced, right? Their full squad or a B+ squad?

Reply #368180 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's Greece's A team.

Reply #368185 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I said it the minute Abercrombie pulled out but NZ had already made the commitment to the qualifying tournament.
Hopefully the team will gel and pull a miracle out of their asses lol

Reply #368189 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That'd be some miracle! Just being competitive would be nice, and the pray Angola have one of those horrid days they have reasonably regularly allowing the TBs to slide into the QFs!

Reply #368191 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:11 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754