Anonymous
Years ago

Sydney Swans targeted Patty Mills

Interesting to see that the Sydney Swans wanted to recruit Patty on three seperate occasions. Source:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/sydney-confirms-play-for-patrick-mills/story-e6frf9jf-1226410559963

Topic #28620 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

All this AFL trying to "convert" basketball players makes me hate the league. I'll never follow AFL.

Reply #368166 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Eddie McGuire also said on his EMT show last night that Collingwood had a crack at Patty a couple of years ago.

Reply #368167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's why the AFL is run so well... Take the biggest names from other sports and watch the kids follow

Reply #368172 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

All this AFL trying to nab basketball players doesnt make sence to me, surely they could find some 18yo that have played all their lifes but never quite committed to going to the next level because of other interests or fitness etc and then flog them into shape.

haha NWYA I hated AFL before anyway, because of all the media coverage it gets, jealous for the NBL haha..

Weirdly though I am coming second in the office footing tipping... mwahaha.

Reply #368173 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Meh. When your sport needs 18 players on the ground at once (plus what, another 6 on the bench?), of course you're gonna try to recruit people who are already proven athletes, especially from a sport where hand skills are critical.

If the athlete in question makes the swap then they weren't 100% committed anyway - either that or they just wanted to play sport professionally for a living and decided basketball wasn't going to get them paid.

Reply #368174 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I don't dislike AFL because they poach players from other sports. I dislike the AFL becaue the Australian football sucks.

Anyway, you people are acting like basketball wouldn't be poaching players from other leagues if it was the dominant sport in this country.

Reply #368177 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This run of (well, two) stories seems like a bit of a grab by the AFL and AFL writers to steal thunder from an Olympic sport in an Olympic year.

Would be nice to see follow up stories from basketball writers with quotes from the two players in question talking about how they love that basketball provides far greater travel opportunities, leagues to play in, the opportunity to play on the international stage in the Olympic games and World Champs, that Mills has just turned down the $885k option year with the Spurs, etc.

That said, I do like AFL and think that it's one of the best and most watchable sports around, and very well supported in this country. Prefer basketball though...

Reply #368179 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great points Isaac - I tend to agree with you all on counts.

Reply #368184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha u aussies got no idea. patty would in a pittance in the afl. afl is a spec on the global sporting stage

Reply #368186 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Of course it is globally, but it has the highest salaries of any Australian based team sport.

Reply #368188 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

AFL is a confusing inconsistent game with too many rules changes.

I'd rather watch a game of rugby league than AFL.
I like seeing meat heads bang and crash into each other for 80 minutes.

Reply #368202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah dont follow the afl because they are aggressive with thier recruiting tactics... Dumb

Reply #368204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve Hooker would make a good forward.....if they let him use his pole

Reply #368207 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I know exactly why they get basketball players. The skills transfer over to footy so well and usually the higher profile basketball players have a little height as well.

Basketball gives you great hands, vertical leap and other skills that are needed for a lot of positions in the AFL.

The AFL might seem like the bad guys but would you mind if Nic Naitanui decided to hang up his boots and play in the NBL?

Reply #368209 | Report this post

Gaylord Focker  
Years ago

How did this thread become a Thugby League vs AFL debate? When will people learn that you CAN NOT argue with crowd numbers, revenue streams, memberships and the pure atmosphere of an AFL game vs the NRL. They are both great sports. One is more successful for a reason.

The NBL could learn a great deal from the AFL in terms of giving back to the "grass roots" of the sport. The AFL have had a very committed grass roots policy with Auskick and other initiatives. The NBL and Basketball Australia need to have a serious focus on developing what is STILL the number 1 participative sport in the country. As far as strategies to do this go, I don't know squat about marketing so I have no idea. With the recent "acquisitions" of guys like Folau and Hunt, and the attempted recruiting of Mills, the AFL certainly know a thing or two about how to attract interest in the sport. Even if Folau can't play the game, at least people are curious to check it out.

Reply #368218 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

As if these all these guys were targeted. There was probably just a coffee chat here or there. Geez beat up much.

Guys like Ingles and Mills are our top line bballers. They earn big bucks playing basketball. The Afl will get the odd Dowdell but will struggle to get the top talent.

I have my doubts whether guys like Pendlebury or Watts would have been that good. I think the AFL like to beat that up by suggesting these guys would have been star bballers.

Reply #368219 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Bobby Tables, they found two actually. Names were Scott Pendlebury and Jack Watts.

Reply #368231 | Report this post

Yeti  
Years ago

BTW - Pat was quite a decent junior AFL player in Canberra playing for his school, Marist. He clearly focussed on Basketball once he was offered the AIS Scholarship vacated by one Scott Pendlebury.

Reply #368365 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems Mark Worthington is without a team , and is interested in playing footy , and Richmond have interest.
Watching Anstey playing footy on TV Tuesday night , reckon Wotho would be pretty good.

Reply #369153 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

The Richmond-interest story seems to be another Worthington fairy tale alongside the Italy contract.
All started by the Boomer himself.

Reply #369159 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754