MACDUB
Years ago

Injections for Athletes' Injuries

Hi there,

Just wondering whether a Cortisone injection is banned in sports?

I read that it is, but also read that it isn't.

I thought obviously not because Bruton had a cortisone injection for his elbow and Cedrick had one for his troublesome ankle. Also, I think Abercrombie might have had one also.

But should they be?
I really think they should be. I mean they are performance-enhancing.. They allow athletes to perform at a level that they wouldn't be able to perform at (if they had not had the injection).

Thought this may be a good discussion point, because I actually started to think about it..If Marijuana is a banned substance, why isn't a Cortisone injection
Marijuana isn't even a performance-enhancing substance, whilst you could argue that a Cortisone injection is.

Is there rules around when it can be administered, i.e. Intra-competition etc? A certain number of days before a game?

Topic #28652 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cortisone is a healing aid not a performance enhancing drug.

Reply #368570 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Nonetheless, it is actually a steroid hormone..

Reply #368575 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

"If Marijuana is a banned substance" Illegal in and out of sports..not really a drug relavent to this arguement is it?

I agree that its an iffy thing that this is allowed but a steriod treatment to heal and injury over a long term isnt..Would love to hear from a medical point of view

Reply #368577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been struggling with tendonitis for years now and was looking into steroid injections. Does anybody know if they have any long term benefits or are they just a short term fix? Ive heard conflicting information.

Reply #368583 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

By that argument knee surgery should be banned because it is an artificial process which enhances performance...

Reply #368585 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah I suppose.

Just sounds a bit iffy when you think about it.

Generally, injecting anything into your body is banned.

Just want to clarify why it isn't banned, and provoke a bit of thought and discussion about it.

Mick, but Cortisone is an actual steroid hormone, Knee surgery involves putting someone to sleep, cutting and dicing things up etc.

Reply #368692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cortisone is NOT healing in any way. something that is healing actually deals with the problem at a root cause level. cortisone does nothing but mask the pain. the inflammation is still there, so that when youre active, you dont even realise if youre doing more damage due to the pain being masked. the only way you know is when the injection starts to wear off after a couple of months. the other shitty thing is that the more you take it, the less effective it becomes and you find yourself more reliant on them [to mask pain] than ever before. its a vicious cycle i dont recommend getting on. its also very bad for your body in any case because your body cant use it so it stores it.

Reply #368716 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

Being a steroid, cortisone inhibits inflammation which sounds like a good thing but at the same time, inflammation is part of the process for necessary healing to occur. Also depends if the tendonitis is part of a systemic problem or is localised to just the one tendon due to overuse. Too many factors to say whether cortisone is going to be "good" for you. General rule is that it will mask pain but it won't allow healing, potentially creating an even bigger problem with continued overuse.

Reply #368722 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754