Lance_Uppercut
Years ago

FC Barcelona vs Dallas Mavericks October 2012

Dallas Mavs will play FC Barcelona in Barcelona on October 9th 2012 as parts of the Mavs NBA preseason Euro tour. Will be interesting to see with Joe Ingles in the lineup, whether he can make the most of a good opportunity to impress. David Andersen has previously played against NBA teams while playing for both CSKA and FCB before heading to play in the NBA himself.

Will Basketball Australia ever been in a position to organise an NBL team to play an NBA team?
I don't think it has happened since Perth played the Rockets in 95'.

Topic #28660 | Report this topic

Chewy316  
Years ago

Don't see it ever happening. It can be argued that Australia is too far to travel given that the competition won't be high enough to get the NBA team ready for a long season.

Barcelona is a very good European ball team who will be able to push the Mavs enough to make it at least a little competitive in spurts. The same however can't be said for any NBL side.

Reply #368786 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

These things are generally planned 12 months or so in advance.

Unfortunately the NBL doesn't schedule things that far into the future, including the introduction of entire new franchises into the league.

Reply #368787 | Report this post

Years ago

didnt nbl teams play nba teams when they had that mcdonalds - premiers title thing - where all title holders from say aust, usa, europe and middle east played for something like a "world champion" - i know the 35ers were in it one years with the spurs,

reckon the tigers played a nba team in this comp as well - early 2000 s

Reply #368792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1999 in Milan, 36ers wouldve done very well but KB had already moved on. One game they lost, they came back from 18 down but were too tired to go on with it. Mee threw down one of the toughest dunks over some guy from Lebonon's face ive seen. Great tournement, Spurs were pushed by the Italian team for a fair bit in the final.

Reply #368796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've still got that Houston Rockets vs Perth Wildcats game from '95 on tape. The Rockets fielded a second string side and it was still like men & against boys.

I think the Wildcats lost by about 40 points.

Reply #368806 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

That beat-down was as brutal as it was due to the NBL season finishing right on the eve of the tourney. Wildcats had to travel non-stop from Perth to London via Singapore, blind-drunk after celebrating their Grand Final win. Top effort to come third in the world, bettering the pathetic efforts by 36ers and Tigers in other years, and were unlucky to meet the NBA side as early as they did in the semi-final stage.

Reply #368809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barcelona good enough to push the Mavs chewey? They beat the Lakers when defending champs a couple of years back.

Reply #368825 | Report this post

Triton71  
Years ago

I find it funny that the NBA always calls it FC Barcelona? Do they not even know that the FC stands for football club?

Americans can be so funny sometimes. It's the basketball section geniuses, not the football section.

Reply #368829 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

Anon, when I say push, I mean that they'll give a shake of it, as in they're a chance.

Reply #368851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I've still got that Houston Rockets vs Perth Wildcats game from '95 on tape. The Rockets fielded a second string side and it was still like men & against boys."

The NBL was still pretty weak back then, Tonny Jensen was a good player, and with no big guys, 6'7 was a centre. Perth were a really good team but very tired as someone said. They then beat Real Madrid which was great even if Madrid did rest some top players.

Reply #368865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL was still pretty weak back then, Tonny Jensen was a good player, and with no big guys, 6'7 was a centre. Perth were a really good team but very tired as someone said. They then beat Real Madrid which was great even if Madrid did rest some top players.

You got it around the wrong way buddy. I won't bother listing all the dominant big men from the 90's compared to the riff raff floating around in the league these days (the reason 90% of our national team play overseas these days compared to then is the NBL can't afford our best anymore) but 6'7" wasn't even a centre on that Wildcats team, try James Crawford at 6'9"! And he was a far better player than any big guy in the NBL today.

btw Tonny Jensen was a boomer before his illnesses!

Bloody school holidays.

Reply #368873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We had one good big man in the national team from the nbl then, Bradtke, that was it. ONly Bradtke got recruited overseas because he was the only one good enough. Next best was Dorge, 6'10 who couldnt do anything away from the basket.

There was no such thing as real big men in the NBL, Bradtke could do whatever he wanted against midget Aussies and import forwards pretending to be centres because the league was midgetville. Crawford was 203cm not 6'8.

Jensen was a Boomer. Exactly, thats how bad our talent stocks were back then. So was Keogh, Hubbard, Grham, MOrrissey and McKay.

Reply #368874 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

It's all being organised through the NBA Europe office. There is no 'NBA Australia' office to my knowledge.

Reply #368875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, big money in both Europe and USA making it happen. Would be nice but there are clearly other priorities at the moment in Australia.

To be honest, I find the 'then and now' argument boring. Everyone has their opinion, none can ever be proved right or wrong. Across all times the league has produced entertaining basketball.

Reply #368879 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

US got it right. Regal FC Barcelona to be exact. Or atleast thats what the official website got. As the basketball team and football club are the same.

Reply #369240 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754