celtic green
Years ago

Jason Terry signs with Boston

Jason Terry signed with Boston for 3 years $15 million (took the mid level extension). Does this mean they don't think they will get Ray? Seems like a lot of years for a guy who is 34 and coming off not that great a season

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--celtics-reach-deal-with-jason-terry.html;_ylt=AnpaVMwl8eZN9OlbToaQaQO8vLYF

Topic #28671 | Report this topic

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Celtic Green, not a done deal yet he has agreed to terms with the celtics can't sign until the 11th and he is going to give Mavs the chance to match.

Reply #368898 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

As a Celtics fan I don't really like this for one reason... 3 years seems like too many

Reply #368914 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah not great, not terrible. What I really want to see is jeff green and a decent big man agreeing to deals. Those are the deals that will make Boston a legit contender. For now, Terry is just a very nice and very expensive insurance contract for Allen. The other thing is that Jet has been given 3 years 15 mill, whereas I thought the offer to Allen was only 2 yrs 12 mill. I'm not sure Ray would take less years than Jet. I think that would piss him right off!

Reply #368917 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Beantown - you don't think Celtics are looking at Terry instead of Allen? He seems to embrace the bench role rather than resent it, less injury concerns etc.

Reply #368922 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

Not 100% convinced that ray allen would be a shoe in fit at south beach. A lot of his looks in Boston came off a series of screens with him coming off the blind side in a "roll, catch, jump step, shoot" scenario. Whether he can stay stagnant in a corner and wait for a catch and shoot like Miller/Battier etc is questionable. Would definitely need to tinker with the offense if they were to accommodate for his touches.

Reply #368933 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Billo, I'm just going by what Ainge says (he wants Ray back) and the fact that they have already offered double what Miami can.

I think they do want Ray back, but want Terry for a few reasons:
- good replacement if Ray does in fact leave;
- will play more early in the season while Bradley is still rehabbing his shoulders;
- as a combo guard he provides good depth should Ray/ Bradley or even Rondo get injured;
- can still beat players off the dribble and can play simple pick and roll well, which Allen can't anymore. This is a good basic offensive staple the 2nd unit can run.

I still want Ray to return, but not at any price. In the end the Celtics have to address their lack of bigs. KG was amazing this past season, but he's gotta get more help than just Bass and Stiemsma.

In the end, that lack of depth cost them the series against the Heat. Give them a half decent post scorer other than KG, and they would have smashed Miami in the paint and made the Finals.

Reply #368963 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Hopefully Sullinger can be the man to provide the post scoring

Reply #369021 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:40 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754