Borego eligible for finals

News is that Carla Borego has been ruled eligible to play finals because she has sat on the bench in unifOrm this season for the minimum number of games.

Before anyone mentions eating an apple or not warming up, these are a mute point.

Being ready tO play by sitting on the bench in uniform is ok regardless of the intention

All those Eagle haters can leave it alone because you can't do anymore than satisfy the rule set down by the competition manager for the ABA

Topic #28673 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must be school holidays

Reply #368913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sharon Simons and Colin Jennings make a mockery of the bylaw you mean.

yeah she qualifies but at what cost to Forestville as a club, to the team itself how many promising juniors did they have to lose to gain Borrego.

I for one hope they go out first round, it would be a fitting end to a blight on our game.

Shame Sharon Shame

Reply #368923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a sad refelection that Simmons can't coach.

Last year they were looking to miss finals them won it because of one player and the same is happenning this year.

Is it the caoch or player talent that wins you finals.

Reply #368928 | Report this post

Sector7G  
Years ago

I dont agree with it but FFS - GET OVER IT.

Reply #368931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no wonder basketball rates in the toilet

Reply #368937 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

She cannot play because of Thunderbird committments. So she sits on the bench and has no intention of going on at all, and she qualifies. These seems very ordinary to me!! Like one person said, what about the juniors they have lost because of this??

Reply #368943 | Report this post

Surprise Surprise  
Years ago

"All those Eagle haters can leave it alone because you can't do anymore than satisfy the rule set down by the competition manager for the ABA" ......

OF COURSE Paul Arnott is going it allow it. Its like saying that Simon Pritchard was never going to convince Peter Buckel Norwood girls were the best for Development spots at the Lightning.

Reply #368947 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Apart from justice being done, it must seen to be done

Reply #368952 | Report this post

Leopard  
Years ago

This is a low act by Forestville and BSA. As if Borrego was ever "ready to play" - shame BSA, for participating in this dishonorable and embarrassing farce.

Reply #368955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they need to change the rules for next season because it does seem to be a bit of a loophole.PS read all about it I think you meant 'Moot' point

Reply #368960 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

no wonder basketball rates in the toilet
!

Reply #368962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In BSA's defence the bylaw is written that way for a reason. We have a game where only five are allowed on court at any one time but we are allowed to sub all five off and another five on. We can in most comps run ten players even though some teams play eight.

some comps like wnbl/nbl we can have 12 and many a time 8,9,10 rarely get on. look at NBL last year how many games did Warbout sit on the sidelines in his uniform etc but never hit court. but IF sixers had made finals Jan would have qualified because he was on the scoresheet for each game.

What we have here is an morally corrupt coach exploited the rules that are there for everyone club, for real reasons for allowing the 9 & 10 play like Amy Bell in all the Forestville games I have seen has not hit court, qualify for finals.

The by law is written that way for a reason and we would ALL be howling if it wasn't.

What we have here is a quality player in Borrego, and a coach who wants to win the premiership at any cost, by fair means or foul.

She is manipulating the by law to have Borrego attend games and sit on the bench, and be on the scoresheet, sure there were games when she wasn't there. How can a manager put a player on the sheet who isn't even there and he knows isn't even going to be there. I'd say that is as close to cheating as you can get. To do it once by accident is accidental to do it a few times is by design.

The by law has existed for awhile, it is being exploited this season by Simons & Co. I am sure there are more than 80% of forestville who are unhappy at their clubs name being sullied. I am sure Milan Djurasevich and his management committee has a few questions to answer in do they wish to win a title under such circumstances.

I think they are wrong in what they have done but the by law has allowed it, just how to all of you who howl BSA done and Paul Arnott who you deride, just how do you change a by law that would then preclude all those juniors other players. HOw does BSA stop it happening when Simons is using the rule to her own advantage and not in the spirit is written.

I for one will be there in whichever final Forestville Women play in and be actively barracking against them.

I feel sorry for the girls who won the first two premierships for the third and a possible fourth will always be tarnished IMO.

Reply #368965 | Report this post

Bendigo Lady Braves SEABL team are doing the same with Kerryn Harrington sitting on the bench in uniform so she qualifies for finals.

So Forestville are not the only club in Australia doing it

Reply #368967 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

What juniors exactly have they lost because of this...

None I would suggest given they don't suit 12 players up anyway...

3 in a row with different teams each year may suggest the coach has some idea perhaps..

Reply #368972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't it written in her Thunderbird's contract that she, Borego, can not even warm up or play at all, until the Thunderbird season has finished? This is a fast.

Reply #368973 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

No its not written in her contract...

Reply #368974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FACT: It is not in her contract that she can not play both basketball and netball.

verbal agreement only perhaps but how do you change a bylaw on a verbal?

Reply #368975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesnt matter, just know that Forestville and the Borrego situation will now result going forward in the next season new bylaws which will mean all clubs will be screwed over as a result. Thanks for nothing Forestville.

Reply #368978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Junior - I mean Sharon. Only Sharon would talk up Sharon

Reply #368979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets put to bed forever that championships relate to coaches in abl. forestville had the players, norwood have them now and neither norwood or forestville could boast great coaches as neither know what it is like to coach ordinary players. money buys everything, especially abl flags. as for the netballer saga, since when is cheating a crime here unless bloodshed and death are involved.

Reply #368983 | Report this post

Miss Lucy  
Years ago

Agree with the first comment - this must be school holidays. And, as a teacher, I'd like to provide a mid-year assessment of some of the woeful grammar performances in this forum.

To the OP, if you are going to use a term like 'mute point', at least take the time to understand what the term means. The term is 'moot point' - the word 'moot' meaning; open for discussion or debate. See your comment makes sense now doesn't it? A C+ for effort though (could try harder).

And a general comment to all posters as we enter semester 2; Australians end their sentences with 'full stops' not 'periods'. Therefore, anyone who insists on using the word 'period' at the end of a statement such as 'Borego is eligible to play in the finals, period' will be marked with a fail in their end of term exams.

In Australia the sentence should read:

'Borego is eligible to play in the finals. Full Stop' The use of the term 'full stop' is to emphasise that no further clarification or elaboration is needed. The sentence stands as unarguable fact.

I expect a better performance from each of you as we enter semester 2, particularly you, Anon.

Reply #368984 | Report this post

Miss Lucy  
Years ago

Agree with the first comment - this must be school holidays. And, as a teacher, I'd like to provide a mid-year assessment of some of the woeful grammar performances in this forum.

To the OP, if you are going to use a term like 'mute point', at least take the time to understand what the term means. The term is 'moot point' - the word 'moot' meaning; open for discussion or debate. See! Your comment makes sense now, doesn't it? A C+ for effort though (could try harder).

And a general comment to all posters as we enter semester 2; Australians end their sentences with 'full stops' not 'periods'. Therefore, anyone who insists on using the word 'period' at the end of a statement such as 'Borego is eligible to play in the finals, period' will be marked with a fail in their end of term exams.

In Australia the sentence should read:

'Borego is eligible to play in the finals. Full Stop' The use of the term 'full stop' is to emphasise that no further clarification or elaboration is needed. The sentence stands as unarguable fact.

I expect a better performance from each of you as we enter semester 2, particularly you, Anon.

Reply #368985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Tayla Corrigan quit because she was not getting a go that she was promised. That girl is huge and with the right coach could be very good. Doesnt seem too fair to me..

Reply #368987 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

To be fair, I think Corrigan was provided with very good opportunities to show her potential during 2011 and got plenty of court time. Not surprising given her age and experience, she simply lacked the aggression and court awareness to be a starter in that year. Had she continued this year I am certain she would have been a certain starter during 2012.

To imply that she wasn't given a go is simply wrong and to somehow blame it on Borego is just nonsense. Great players like Carla Borego inspire better performances from those around them, not the opposite.

It's good to see Tayla continue her work with Eagles juniors this year. They certainly warm to her enthusiasm and ability to engage.

Reply #368990 | Report this post

Talk about bending rules to suit themselves!!!
It is disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope on December 21st when the world ends it all starts at Wayville so at least we can have the last laugh before BSA and the world implode

Reply #368993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Borego had nothing to do with Tayla quitting.

Reply #368994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah that was all Sharon from the story I heard.
Way to treat a young player that will be up and coming. Will be Forestville's lost and another clubs gain come next season I would think.

Reply #368995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's off to college next month.

Reply #368997 | Report this post

read all abOut it  
Years ago

Hey smarty pants "Miss Lucy"

Ok, spelling is Moot however the definition is as follows:

A debatable point, questionable, so the contents in which I used the sentence is spot on even if the spelling was wrong

Go back to school

Oh that's right, your on school holidays like half of your year

Reply #368999 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Mr Jinx and Miss Lucy , they , jumped in the lake .
I'm not that eager to , make a mistake .
It's not so incredibly absurd that Borego would be playing Basketball .

Reply #369002 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

Hey read all abOut it:

"your on school holidays like half of your year"

I'm reading wot u rote and I'm not liking what I'm seeing. You're probably feeling the same way, if you get my meaning.

And Camel 31 I am very much hoping that one of my excess commas is inserted up your semi-colon :-P

Reply #369004 | Report this post

Lucy  
Years ago

Jack, I'm sensing a theme for this week's game report? Let it rip!

Reply #369005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corrigan didnt leave because of the borrego situation, heard it was the way sharon treated her through her aba career. shes not the only one she has treated like this..

Reply #369008 | Report this post

Years ago

LOL - it is moot point original poster not mute point

Reply #369013 | Report this post

Read all abOut it  
Years ago

Anon, LOL we have already covered off on that twice.....

Mute is kind of true also though because if an insignificant or questionable or debatable point is raised then I feel like hitting the mute button on the remote control to shut them up

Reply #369030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talk about rule breakers!!!!... Did anyone read the rules listed right above the reply box?

"You must read the Terms of Use. No spam, no offensive material, no sniping at other clubs, no 'who cares?'-type comments, no naming or bashing under 18 players"

No offensive material & no sniping at other clubs.

Just play basketball.

Reply #369035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you're all forgetting that I think forestville have also had Jasmine Trimboli on their scoresheet and she's only been suited for a couple of games, yet you're not kicking up a stink about her.

Reply #369040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corrigan has left because she wanted to focus on her 23's commitments and leaving for college in a few weeks.

Reply #369042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The difference with jasmine is she is a forestville player come thru juniors and isn't going to be used solely for the purpose of getting a flag through cheating or if you prefer stretching the bylaw as far as is possible without breaking it. Corrigan left thru being treated badly by coach and is going to college. Probs won't be coming back to fville I would guess.

Reply #369045 | Report this post

As in all things leadership of a sport is a vital commodity in ensuring the longevity and success of that sport.

That tenet once held sway in life in general where a person's word was held in high esteem, when tradesmen meant ten o'clock and where getting a loan for a mortgage was harder than winning lotto.

Today's now world, easy and free with never a care about tomorrow or it's consequences transcends all things including or especially sport.

There is no loyalty asked of or shown by player and coach alike. Amateur sports is a pseudonym for not anywhere near as much as professional but nice pocket money.

Rules apply only when they suit and are generally disregarded across the board. CABL is contest in which the club possessing the most funds wins the championship. Clubs are inventive in their financial ability to fit quality players into their teams.

The entire hoops world knows that all the clubs who can, do it and all the clubs that can't complain about level playing fields and imaginary rules.

The spirit of the game, the essence of why we play our sport and the sense of fair play that should be associated with the sport is in the hands of a generation that don't have a connection with any of the above and the only spirits known to them are in bottles.

I can't think of one club that encapsulates the spirit of the game. Teams are following the model set by the NBL/WNBL where players move yearly and club identity is transitory as are the very clubs themselves.

Whether Borego suits is the small picture, the larger one is how to build club identity, build club respect, build sport respect in a sport that has no boundaries.

There is no overseer of basketball's welfare in our state regrettably. The supposed governing body has lost it's way entirely and the splintered relationships with country basketball allied to tired methodology will ensure the anchor is always heavier than the ship.

I can't imagine how they will grow basketball here until they make some hard decisions that will impact all clubs in some way. There is no way forward if the present trend of allowing super clubs to evolve continues because unless you have a viable junior level all things grind to a stop.

Can you name a club that when push came to shove would not have done the same thing with Borego? Winning is more important than the spirit of the game and Forestville have simply underlined that point.

Reply #369047 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great post. Hope you don't mind, but I spaced the paragraphs so it's a little more legible.

Reply #369053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually Trimboli is a North girl...

Reply #369082 | Report this post

Title  
Years ago

I thought that what teams at ABA were playing for & that is to win..

Did i miss something or are the majority of teams notlooking to win.

Pretty sure the 4 teams that tried to recruit Borego pre season were looking to win & would have been in the same situation..

Clearly Norwood & their 5 WNBL players are looking to win...Shame on them...

Reply #369083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually Trimboli is a Centrals girl.

Reply #369086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually she is a forestville girl

Reply #369103 | Report this post

Started at Centrals, moved to North for a year or so and then went to Forestville.

At least she has played for Forestville and currently participates with their junior team.

More than can be said for Borego.

Reply #369106 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I seem to recall Borego playing for Forestville last season .

Reply #369120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FACT: Borego was being courted by several clubs before the season.

FACT: Borego said she could sit on the bench to qualify for finals but was not allowed to play basketball until the Thunderbird commitments were finished.

FACT: This is not in a contract but it was a verbal communication between Borego and Thunderbirds.

FACT: Simmons and Thunderbird's coach are close friends!!

FACT: Not all clubs when they heard that Borego could sit on the bench but not play to qualify accepted that this was in the spirit of the by-law and did not pursue her further.

Reply #369139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be a tainted win if ever there was one!!

Reply #369140 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Go Norwood! (OOOOH that hurts!)

Reply #369144 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

"Being ready tO play by sitting on the bench in uniform is ok regardless of the intention "

In exactly what capacity was she 'ready to play'?

Difficult to satisfy that requirement if you are in a different State or barred by your netballer employer from even warming up.

Recognise this as the farce that it is.

Reply #369179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When forestville win the flag and they are all jumping around hugging each other with congratulations, the crowd should stand turn their backs on Sharon and boo her. That's all she will deserve.

Reply #369180 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Most top 5 teams would have their contingency plans to deal with Forestville pretty much worked out.

After all, let's not forget that a player is only allowed 5 fouls per game and the best way to draw a foul is send in a driving guard for the blocking foul.

Believe it or not, there are some clever coaches out there.

Reply #369189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Despite the drama of this piddling saga has it occurred to anyone that in life 'things rarely turn out as planned'? That said, perhaps consider the hither to unthinkable that any of the other clubs, a North, Southern or fired up Mavs with tess who is worth several Boregos' in some people's eyes might steal Norwood's and Forestville's prize. If such a turn of event occurs then a Norwood and Forestville introspection of the quality of their coaching panels might rightly begin.

Reply #369191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think after watching Forestville it is in the
guard backcourt area that they are the weakest
in. That will be their Achilles Heel. With
Borego added to the best tall in the comp
Forestville will be almost impossible to stop.
Stopping the supply will be the key.

Reply #369193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agree with the above.

Reply #369201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

booing sounds like a good idea

Reply #369218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The truth is if Carla decided to play for one of the many other clubs that asked her instead of Forestville, then that teams supporters would be sticking up for their club & everyone else would be bagging them.

All a bit hypocritical !

Reply #369449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard that last night Forestville again put her on the scoresheet and she wasn't even in the state. One of Souths managers questioned it and it was removed. After everything, they are still trying to break the rules. Its disgusting!!

Reply #369457 | Report this post

Incorrect  
Years ago

What a load of crap...Simply did not happen..Its disgusting that you would not check the facts...

Reply #369458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you may be the one mistaken.

Reply #369460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noone has mentioned mitch creek sitting on the bench with no intention of playing and will not be able to play all the finals due to sixers commitments

Reply #369463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being present and on the scoresheet, although a grey area, maybe fair enough??? But knowingly putting a player on the scoresheet when they are not even present is clearly wrong!

Reply #369464 | Report this post

Libellous  
Years ago

"I heard that last night Forestville again put her on the scoresheet and she wasn't even in the state. One of Souths managers questioned it and it was removed. After everything, they are still trying to break the rules. Its disgusting!!"

I tell what's disgusting 457 - the fact that every word in your post is a lie.

Care to tell us whether you are associated with the Panthers so we know where to send the writ?

Reply #369477 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

From what I heard Forestville could have fielded their u12 team and still beat the unprofessional rabble that fronted up last night.

Reply #369482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ooohh people, there is no need to get nasty.. Grow up.

Reply #369509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just cannot get my head around the value of buying a flag as opposed to winning it and obviously some of the clubs in S A don't care how they win or who they win it with.
Can't imagine flag reunions ever being possible in basketball because mercenaries never stick around long enough.

Reply #369531 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I am sure where they have the 25th anniversary all players will be there front and centre and still able to fit in their uniforms.

Reply #369537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a joke and I am sick of hearing about. It is shonky, but they have and will get away with it.

Reply #369542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#463 the difference between Mitch creek & borrego is that Mitch was suited up & participated in the warmup as stated in the bylaw. Therefore woodville have adhered to the bylaw & the game counts towards qualification.

Reply #369556 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anon 556. Read your post again. Remove the petty technicality and do you really think there is any difference?

Face it. Every club wants the flag and will do what they can, within the rules, to win one.

They'll bitch, they'll moan, they'll throw wads of cash at imports.

But they'll point their tainted finger at other Clubs when it doesn't work out.

Borego is the best thing to happen for women's basketball in SA for 10 years. Any other sport would be promoting her appearances from the rooftop.

But, as it always does, basketball in SA prefers the lowest common denominator.

Reply #369561 | Report this post

Incorrect  
Years ago

Where exactly in the bylaw does it stipulate participating in war ups..don't let the facts get in the way of any rubbish you want to post..

Reply #369578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Borego is the best thing to happen for women's basketball in SA for 10 years. " WHat has she actually done? Seriously you Forestville people are so up your own arses.

Reply #369596 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I find that hillarious too!!

Reply #369598 | Report this post

#SNLakers  
Years ago

Sometimes the basketball Gods have a way in bringing about their own sense of justice & fairness to the fore! Just because Borego will play for the Eagles doesn't mean they are a lock to win the competition. The Eagles & Borego will be under immense scrutiny when Borego finally takes the court. The Eagles Women team will quickly become the Miami Heat of 2012, when every other team & supporter hated them with a passion & supported very loudly against them in 2012. History will tell us that the Miami Heat did not win a NBA Championship in 2012!

Reply #369605 | Report this post

#SNLakers  
Years ago

Error on my behalf. I was referring to Miami Heat in 2011. Obviously the Heat won the NBA Championship in 2012.

Reply #369608 | Report this post

funny  
Years ago

Now thats funny...cant even get your facts right in your sledge let alone about the bylaws & Boreggo

Reply #369622 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most likely y'all can boo Borrego in a little while , now.

Reply #369694 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Yeah saw Thunderbirds down by 1 so you would guess she may play this week. Great for the competition though adds some interest. Salary cap stretching v rules stretching mmmm

Reply #369703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched the semi final, netball that is, and if you run the tape you will see that she was fragile under body pressure which was one reason the Thunderbirds lost.

Reply #369711 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

711, Sssssssshhhhhhh,

Don't let Forestville know what everyone else does

Reply #369713 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes . I'm a bitofa Borrego fan , but I saw that too .

Reply #369718 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

#SNLakers:

'The Eagles Women team will quickly become the Miami Heat of 2012,'

Such harsh criticism....Err hang on.

Reply #369728 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Will Borego line up this week?? mmmmmmm???

Reply #370132 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:41 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754