Panther32
Years ago

Kidd to sign with Knicks

In an unforeseen reversal, Jason Kidd has decided to leave the Dallas Mavericks to join the New York Knicks.

"I think I can help," Kidd told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher, adding that he felt the Knicks have more "pieces to work with."

With the Mavericks confident they were closing in Thursday on a verbal agreement on a three-year deal with Kidd worth $9 million, sources told ESPN.com that Kidd -- after all-day deliberations with both teams -- has decided instead to leave Dallas to join the Knicks for a similar deal.

The contract can't be signed until July 11, which is the first day new NBA contracts can be signed. It's also possible, one source said, that Kidd ultimately could move to the Knicks in a sign-and-trade deal.

Sources briefed on the matter told ESPN.com that Kidd ultimately was swayed to take the Knicks' offer to go to New York, and take on the challenge of trying to help the Knicks move into the Eastern Conference elite and mentor fans' darling Jeremy Lin.

Great pick up for the Knicks, they really struggled last year at first after letting go of Chauncey until Lin came out of his shell.

Topic #28693 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

What will Dallas do now? Already, teams are rushing with some weighty contracts to mid-range players - Dragic, Fields, etc.

Reply #369224 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Yeah, it's a good move to have that Veteran behind Lin. He will be especially good in the clutch if required as Billups was.

IMO, New York still have issues with Amare and Melo in the lineup. I don't think the two of them can be on the floor at the same time and be productive.

I would suggest (as others have on NBA.com) moving Amare to the bench and having him come on with Kidd to maintain offensive flow. Unfortunately he's getting paid too much to be considered for that; and frankly I think his ego wouldn't let him either.

Reply #369225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Lin is on the move to the Rockets, so no mentor roll for Kidd

Reply #369229 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Anon, Lin is a restricted FA and New York have 3 days to match any contract and they will.

Reply #369231 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Knicks will match any offer given to Lin.

Agree Big Marty. I would like to see Amare off the bench or atleast playing most of his minutes with the bench.

Kidd and Amare with shooters, Novak, Harrellson, Shawne Williams if the rumours are true that he is a Knick target.

Reply #369232 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

Dallas will surely go after Ramon Sessions now.

Reply #369237 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Kidd is a player well past his prime. But teaming him with 3 legit targets should give him a shot in the arm.

For all the Lin mania he's not a proven player long term and will the luxury tax be offset by potential jersey sales?

NYK should let him walk and sign a more cost effective guard to back up Kidd (seen Ray Felton suggested).

Cuban is not one to be caught off guard. He must have something in mind allowing guys to bolt.

Reply #369239 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Aaron Brooks would be a good option for Dallas, at the right price.

It seems like the Dallas management are only going to spend big on SuperStar players and there aren't any left in free-agency.

So look for them to either trade for a Star or just sign guys to 1-2 year deals.

Reply #369241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very frustrating for Dallas! I was hoping they would pull off the Deron Williams trade...

Reply #369254 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

3 yrs for Kidd - unfortunately he is past his best and for the price he is still commanding is another poor decision by the knicks IMO

Reply #369267 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dallas is talking to Sessions. Ouch. Bit a downgrade from their initial targets.

Reply #369590 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:17 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754