Marcus Camby
Years ago

Restricted Free Agency.

I'm trying to explain the concepts of Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency to a friend foreign to the NBA. We are discussing Linsanity's offer from HOU.

On the surface, it is pretty simple.

However, taking the NYK-Lin-HOU dynamic, I have one question regarding restricted free agency.

NYK is offering $25m over 4 years.

HOU is offering $30m over 4 years (backloaded).

I understand that NYK have a right to match the offer, but does Lin have to take it?

Seems pretty critical yet I could not answer.

If Lin has to stay in NYK for the matched offer, I think the RFA model is flawed.

It assumes money is the ONLY driver for signing with another team.

There are no consideration for things such as (not saying they apply to Lin @ NYK) more playing time, better team dynamics, favoured coach, being at home state etc.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Topic #28694 | Report this topic

Vart  
Years ago

Yes, as a restricted free agent, if NYK match the HOU offer, Lin has to accept it.

I disagree though that money is the only factor in signing for another team. All those other factors you mentioned would still come into consideration, as the players current team may elect not to match another offer (eg. Goran Dragic looks to be going from Houston to Phoenix as Houston have declined to match the offer he received from Phoenix).

Reply #369233 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Vart...I didn't mean to say that money is the only consideration.

My point was that the fact that Lin HAS to accept because NYK will match the $30m offer SUGGESTS that the NBA believes that money is the only consideration.

Let's say, Lin is willing to sacrifice $5m for playing in HOU because :

1) He will be the starter now that Dragic is PHX-Bound.
2) He did not seem in Mike Brown's favour
3) He doesn't have to play with Melo.
4) Exit of Fields means he will have no one to do the handshake with.

I understand rules are rules...but someone may have a legitimate reason to play for another team other than money.

Reply #369238 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

if he wants to decide where he goes either;

a) dont sign a contract with a long term.then you have freedom, but of course they will sign long contracts. its about the $.

b) wait til your an unrestricted free agent.

when discussing contracts and obsession with money ild be looking at the players not the nba/ team organizations.

Reply #369244 | Report this post

athlete  
Years ago

Often RFA's will go and sign an offer sheet paying heaps of money but knowing that they'll be staying put, just so they get paid more (DeAndre Jordan signing offer sheet with the Warriors last season). However, if a playing desperately wants out of his current team (as Eric Gordon and Nicholas Batum), they may work out a sign and trade deal between the teams. Otherwise they'll just match the offer and you'll be back playing where you were before.

Reply #369245 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Restricted Free agents are where the final year of the contract is a team option isn't it?
Or is that another thing again?

Reply #369246 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Off topic :

Lin is only worth $30mil over 4 years because of his marketability imo.

Reply #369250 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think he's worth it

Reply #369270 | Report this post

simple  
Years ago

If he really doesnt want to be in nyk he can sign a qualifying offer he was extended - its usuall one year then they become an unrestricted FA - im not 100% on this but i remember someone doing it a couple years ago

Reply #369271 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Marcus, remember that he had signed something with NY previously. Not like he's being forced there for no reason.

Reply #369383 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:19 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754