Anonymous
Years ago

Nigerians qualify for Olympics

Awesome scenes when the Nigerians went on a massive run late in the fourth quarter to put the Dominican Republic away and win a spot to London 2012.

The D.R. managed to even the game up with about 3 mins left when Ike Diogu heated up and dropped 2 3's in four possessions to put the Nigerians up 9 after a F/T and a tip in by Al Fariq Aminu (spelling?).

Fairly amazing performance from the Nigerians this tournament to knock off both Lithuania and Greece on their way to going to the games! Not to mention pushing Russia to an 8 point loss.

Sadly in a horrible display of sportsmanship Al Horford sulked off the court with about 20 secs left and just kept going to the locker room. I understand he was crushed but still...

Nether-less, this was easily overshadowed by the images of Nigerian players running into the stands to dance and celebrate with their fans, I cant remember the last time Ive seen every member of a team, including all the staff celebrating in just unbridled, joyous elation.

What a great way to wet the appetite for the games which are just around the corner!

Topic #28719 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Great team these Nigerians, amamzing talent and work bloody hard together.

The good news is we dont have them in our group in the Olympics. The bad news is we got Russia who I honestly think could medal.

Reply #369617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I was going to comment on who we had in our pools but then realised it doesn't matter that much, plenty of quality teams who could do well.

Do you think its a sign that the standard of play is improving in Africa with this result or just a great effort from a good team?

Reply #369620 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well the two African teams were 3-2 against Europeans in this tourny, that tells a story. I dont think there are a bunch of other African teams waiting to pounce though. Angola and Nigeria are the clear standouts.

Reply #369623 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DQ38tczeI8

Reply #369644 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I was rooting for the Nigerians all tournament, such a great thing that they can play in the olympics.

Might even get a win in there first game of the olympics aswell against Tunisia.

Reply #369647 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Baller, dont be surprised if these guys make the top four! If they play like they did this week they will definitely make the top eight - they are for real.

They are looong, almost all their guys have/do play as imports in top European leagues, and the coach has them playing as a genuine team and playing defence. Few teams will be able to handle their athleticism.

Reply #369652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More than half their team are 6'9" or taller.

Reply #369658 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Apparently the Nigerians also have millions in a bank account and need your help to get it out, if you're interested...

Reply #369665 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Ebi Ere could be playing?
He was in the Nigerian National team wasn't he?

Reply #369675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cat in the hat you beat me to it!

Reply #369679 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

ditto ! Well done Cat in the Hat

See what happens when you do work and don't spend your entire day on Hoops!

Reply #369697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

apparently Al Horford was disgruntled with the coaching staff of his own team, thats why he walked out.

Reply #369698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep it was actually obvious that Horford had a problem with the coaching staff. Coach Calipari has no idea about international basketball. They probably had the most talented team in the tournament yet they didn't have a system at all. Horford rarely had the ball on the low block and he was heavily relied upon to bring the ball up. There were hardly any plays run for him and he was basically keeping them in all the games just with his hustle. It was obvious he was at least another level above anyone else on the court when he did in fact get the ball on the low block but he was simply not used right.

Also Franisco Garcia shot them out of the tournament, basically jacked up threes with 10 secs left on the shot clock.

Reply #369701 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The Nigerians height, length and athleticism will cause teams problems.

If you look at their team they have 6"4/6"5 PGs, 6"7 SGs and their swingman are 6"9-6'10.

Then they have 3-4 6"11 dudes.

Thing is all these players are extremely mobile and can run the floor.

Probably similar to the US team. Long, tall and athletic.

And they are not scrubs:
Ike Diogu: played 8 seasons in NBA..best season 9.2ppg and 4rpg

Al-Farouq Aminu: Athletic as hell. Avg 6ppg for Clippers last season

Derrick Obasohan : Avg 19.8 in France Pro A. 12ppg in Turkey, and recently 9.2ppg in Spanish ACB for Joventut.

Then you have 3 other dudes..2 playing in Germany Bundesliga putting up good numbers, and Alade Aminu putting up good numbers in France Pro A.

Question:
If Nigeria start to do well on the international level do you think more NBA 'african-americans' with Nigerian heritage will be keen to play for the team? Emaka Okafor and Ime Udoka may want to join in in future? (2 NBA players who could play for Nigeria)

NB: 11 Nigerians have played in NBA or currently do play.

Aminu was American born with Nigerian heritage, as was his brother Alade and Ike Diogu was born in NY.
Oguchi born in Houston.
Ibekwe born in LA.

They could really put together some talented teams if NBA players with close heritage ties would be interested.
Hell the trend could be to play for an African team whom that player has heritage with. Problem would be resources. I would say these countries wouldn't have the financial resources to enter teams.

Dem Rep of Congo has 2 current NBA players (Biyombo and Eyenga) plus DJ M'benga

Cameroon has Luc Mbah a Moute + 3 France Pro A players and 4 players at d1 colleges

Senegal has 8 NBA players : 3 that currently play (Diop,N'Diaye and Sow), but another 5 have played in the NBA in the last 5 years.

Tanzania: Hasheem Thabeet and Kelenna Azibuike could play for Tanzania by heritage/descent.
Thabeet was born there, and Azibuike has strong heritage there--He even attended a Tanzania political summit there last year. Kelenna can play for Nigeria or Tanzania i believe

I know what i am saying might sound stupid, but I truly believe in a few years time, Africa will be the new hunting ground for NBA prospects (I suppose it already is becoming like that).

With this, I reckon African nations are going to become stronger as the game grows even more and African nations receive greater funding and hence facilities and systems to improve players.

Its funny because I am a Kiwi and we go alright internationally and we have had just 2 NBA players (although Penney didn't exactly stay long).

Then you look at the likes of Senegal, who are a pretty unknown team internationally yet they have had 8 NBA players and all of which were recent.

Once it rains in Africa, it will pour. Meaning once Basketball takes off over there, it really is going to explode.
The game truly is becoming Global.

Reply #369716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What the?

Diogu has played 6 seasons in the NBA not 8 and Aminu plays for the Hornets.

N'Diaye and Sow don't play in the NBA either.

Reply #369724 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Your right about Aminu at Hornets. Sow doesnt play NBA, but N'Diaye played the 11-12 season with Washington, so I don't know what he is up to now.

Diogu has definently played 8:

2005-06 Golden State
2006–07 Golden State
2006–07 Indiana
2007–08 Indiana
2008–09 Portland
2008–09 Sacramento
2010–11 L.A. Clippers
2011–12 San Antonio

Reply #369730 | Report this post

titan38  
Years ago

Ah MACDUB, you've listed six there, not eight.

Reply #369740 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yep 6 NBA seasons, two of which were for dual clubs...

Great achievement by the Nigerians! Big failure for the Dominican Republic...

Reply #369742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okafor played for the USA in 2006. Don't know if he can play for Nigeria.

Reply #369753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your right about Aminu at Hornets. Sow doesnt play NBA, but N'Diaye played the 11-12 season with Washington, so I don't know what he is up to now.

Diogu has definently played 8:

N'Diaye got cut about five months ago (after only 3 games this season) and Diogu has only played 6 seasons in the NBA not 8.

2005-2012 and didn't get a gig in the 2009-10 season, even then 6 seasons is generous given he only played 2 games all of last season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/dioguik01.html

Reply #369826 | Report this post

Pallas84  
Years ago

The only reason they qualified was because of how much help they got from the refs. It was obvious that FIBA wanted an all black team from Africa in the Olympics for marketing reasons.

Reply #370449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spoken like a true Greek who can't handle the fact Nigeria were better.

Reply #370453 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:22 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754