Mr Durant
Years ago

Dream Team 1992 vs Team USA 2012

20 yrs have passed since the dominance of the Dream Team.

Question: who would win ?

Seriously think of how the game has changed, yeah 92 they had bigs that would win outright but look at today's athletes.
Could the Dream Team stop James? Durant? An ageing Bryant?Chris Paul would kill the 92 squad. I'm thinking this would be closer than you think.

Tyson Chandler Patrick Ewing
Carmelo Anthony David Robinson
Kevin Durant Karl Malone
Blake Griffin Charles Barkley
LeBron James Larry Bird
Kevin Love Magic Johnson
Kobe Bryant Michael Jordan
James Harden Chris Mullin
Andre Iguodala. Christian Laettner
Chris Paul John Stockton
Russell Westbrook Clyde Drexler
Deron Williams Scotty Pippen

Topic #28748 | Report this topic

Thomo  
Years ago

92 was a team who knew how to "gel" and play as a team

doubt you would see a player stand away from the spot light to allow another player to shine in this team

Reply #370082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would guard Jordan in his prime?

He would mind F*#k Lebron and Pippen would close the deal defensively.

Reply #370084 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

neither of those 2 would be strong enough to guard Lebron James especially anywhere near the block

Reply #370086 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Add in Howard, Wade and Rose and it would be very interesting, but not quite without. Take out Iguodala, Harden and Westbrook (and possibly Bosh for Love).

Tyson Chandler Patrick Ewing
Carmelo Anthony David Robinson
Dwight Howard Karl Malone
Blake Griffin Charles Barkley
LeBron James Larry Bird
Derrick Rose Magic Johnson
Kobe Bryant Michael Jordan
Dwyane Wade Chris Mullin
Kevin Love Christian Laettner
Chris Paul John Stockton
Kevin Durant Clyde Drexler
Deron Williams Scotty Pippen

Reply #370091 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

The 92 team would win - with Pippen or Barkley being able to guard Lebron - especially in the international game. Ewing & Robinson would dominate Chandler and Love. Lebron wouldn't be able to shift Malone in the block with help D from Ewing and Robinson.

Reply #370092 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would be interesting to see how either coach would match up on the other team. Who are you starting in either case?

Reply #370098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'92 team every single time, would only lose if they got bored of winning with such ease over and over again.

Reply #370101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan would eviscerate Kobe.

EVISCERATE. Look that one up.

Pippen wouldn't let LeBron catch it.

Bill Simmons should do an article on this.

Reply #370104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When is this game scheduled? I can't see it in my foxtel planner

Reply #370106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My money is on 92 dream team to win

But real question is which team has the bigger egos, with the addition of Howard I think the 2012 team wins that category

Reply #370107 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

92' No Contest

Reply #370109 | Report this post

showtime  
Years ago

92 no brainer. Just imagine if 92 athletes had technology current crop have. You do the maths- enough said

Reply #370110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

92 team by 15-20 points.

Not a single player on the '12 team that could hope to guard the GOAT and prime Pippen would shut down guys like LeBron or Kobe.

I'd like to see it solely to see these punks on the '12 team get humbled big time.

Reply #370113 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

A full-strength 2012 team with Rose & Howard might keep it under 10 points, but I'd always go for the '92 guys cos they really were a TEAM.

They'd dominate in the paint, shut down the passing lanes, and watch the 2012ers fall apart from frustration.

I'm with #104 - I'd love to see the Bill Simmons view on this match-up, tho'.

Reply #370122 | Report this post

TheMan  
Years ago

To me it comes down to when would the game be played? In 1992? Or now? The game is played so much differently now than it was back then.

Reply #370129 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

1992 team hands down.

Reply #370135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopie if that was the case throw Shaq in the mix for Laettner, different argument. But based on this team compared to 1992, its a silly remark by Kobe, not sure what angle he is playing becayse no way after so many years in the game, he actually believes it. Creating hype they will be able to create anyways?

Reply #370136 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think the 2012 would win in a close one, but to be fair a lot of the guys in the 1992 team are into their 50's now.

Reply #370141 | Report this post

eagles #8  
Years ago

there was a certain other young usa select team that throught they gave '92 team a run, ask bobby hurley and chris webber etc how that went when dreamteam played properly against them

Reply #370143 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

To be fair no one has really seen the 2012 team in action yet, I think there is a game on ESPN today?

BUT

92 Dream Team would school these punks.

Reply #370147 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The 1992 team cruised through those Olympics and weren't tested.

Throw in the increased intensity and competitive fire from the 1992 team and they would destroy the 2012 team.

Reply #370149 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

If 2012 got within 10 it would be a win for them. Even with Magic and Bird a step slow they still had it. As long Laettner stayed on the bench there aren't any holes!

Reply #370151 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Haha, funny question! 1992 by 15-20 EVERY game. Too easy.

Reply #370153 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

A fairer game would be '12 versus '96...

Reply #370163 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

You would think 92 but Lebron gives the 2012 half a chance!

Reply #370164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love it Billo!

Reply #370167 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I want to see this instead of the MVP game next year. If the 92 guys had kept fit I would say they can still challenge this team. Way to much experience, way to much talent even as old guys
Kobe got schooled by Jordan how many times?
LeBron is going to struggle not being able to travel everytime he gets the ball as it is, put a defender like Pippen on him and he wont know what to do.

92 team would destroy these guys and have a laugh while doing it.

Reply #370169 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

funny to hear Jordan and Barkley's response to what Kobe said...I agree with Barkley only three players on current team would even make the 92 team

Jordan told The Associated Press Thursday that he laughed - "I absolutely laughed" - when hearing Bryant's comments that the squad training in Las Vegas could take Jordan and company.

Jordan said there's "no comparison" which team is better.

"For him to compare those two teams is not one of the smarter things he ever could have done," Jordan said prior playing in a celebrity golf tournament in Charlotte.

ESPN.com reported Barkley's response, given to Philadelphia radio station 97.5, which was similar.

"Oh yeah, that's no disrespect," Barkley said. "I ain't got to badmouth them. But like I said, their point guards weren't going to beat us. That's a no-brainer."

"I just started laughing," Barkley said. "How old is Kobe Bryant? He's 34? And he's calling us old? At the time, we were only like 28, 29. Michael Jordan and me were the same age. We were both 29. ... Other than Kobe, LeBron (James) and Kevin Durant, I don't think anybody else on that team makes our team."

Reply #370170 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

To me this is like Carl Lewis vs Usain Bolt. 20 years has gone by and the NBA players have evolved to where (in general) they are bigger, stronger and quicker.

Croatia got within 30 points of the 92 dream team and most people in here think the 2012 team wouldn't get within 15-20 points. So do people think the 2012 team would only beat that Croatian team by 10 to 15? The only notable players were a young Kukoc, Petrovic and Dino Radja.

The 2012 would smash that Croatian team and would beat the 92 team by 20 odd.

92 team shot at 58% from the field. Defence has improved since then.

Will this 2012 team beat opponents by an average of over 44 points a game. I doubt that as the rest of the world are much more talented Basketballers then they were in 92.

Regardless I hope Spain beats the 2012 team.

Reply #370171 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

loved larry birds comment - "yeah they probably would win, i have'nt picked up a basketball in 20 years"

Reply #370198 | Report this post

fletch  
Years ago

no one could beat jordan and love should be on bird not magic

this is from my 12 year old! He also said the 2012 team would win a close one now, but the 92 team would win if played at their prime!

Reply #370216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None of the 2012 team could stop David Robinson. A 7'1 guy that could do it all. Huge mismatch trying to stop him.

Would have loved Mitch Richmond on the 92 team for Laettner...or Drexler (even though he was a great player too).

Reply #370221 | Report this post

reggie  
Years ago

So many people on the 92 side. Actually have a think about it. The main thing that the 92 side has going for it is Jordan.

Look how the game has evolved in 20 years. Its so much quicker. I don't know who can stay in front of rose, westbrook, chris paul and durant from the 92 side.

Then there's Lebron James. Physically he is unmatched. He may not be a finisher like Jordan (Durant is that guy for the 2012 team), but he is the most talented player of all time.

If you actually think about the game, and the matchups, and the speed of this years team, i think you will come to the realisation that the 2012 would likely win - providing they gel as a team.

Reply #370232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wait a second, when did lebron james become the most talented player ever? was I asleep or something?

Reply #370244 | Report this post

leaf  
Years ago

With all the talk about 92 v 12 have a think about the 1996 US team v 92 team.

Keep in mind the how good the teams were in the year they played.

David Robinson 92 v David Robinson 96
Patrick Ewing 92 v Shaq Oneal 96
Christian Laettner 92 v Hakemm Olajuwon 96
Karl Malone 92 V Karl Malone 96
Charles Barkley 92 V Charles Barley 96
Scottie Pippen 92 V Scottie Pippen 96
Clyde Drexler 92 V Reggie Miller 96
Chris Mullin 92 V Mitch Richmond 96
Michael Jordan 92 V Gary Payton 96
Larry Bird 92 V Grant Hill 96
Magic Johnson 92 V Penny Hardaway 96
John Stockton 92 V John Stockton 96

Michael Jordan still a stand out but some of those other match ups in the year that they played in the olympics would definately go to the 1996 team.

Read through and pick your team!

Reply #370248 | Report this post

reggie  
Years ago

Yeh you must of been asleep because he's very commonly referred to by nba analysts as the most talented player of all time. He's not the GOAT, but he is the most talented.

Reply #370265 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Err, Reginald... I've never heard Lebron referred to as the most talented of all time either, and I watch a lot of NBA, and I'm pretty sure everyone else here will agree.

He is commonly referred to as the best athlete/body of all time, never the most talented. That's just crazy talk.

Reply #370276 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:15 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754