____
Years ago

Australian College of Basketball

they had their first intake of students in feb, havent heard much about it.
whose their, anyone important
how do the players/students feel about it so far
just curious

Topic #28752 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

My view is it has a long way to go. The perception form a number of naive athletes and parents is that this business is "scouting" and "offering" them a spot. However, when observing the calibre kids that are there it is clear that they are a business that is open for anyone and the perception that they are offering spots is very deceptive marketing.

It's around $20 K per year for 2 yrs. At the end of the process you get a piece of paper with qualifications that will not be recognised by any employer whatsoever, be it professional sports organisation or any other enterprise. No educational institution would give you recognition/credit for this piece of paper either.

Furthermore there is a VERY key component missing. The competitive component. Working in a team environment, under pressure, suffering setbacks and dealing with them, measuring yourself in a competitive environment, dealing with coaches that need to win to keep their jobs (as in the college/professional system), fighting for your spot with team/club mates is missing from this process. These components are just as important as talent. We see this with the extremely athletic and talented African kids that in some cases haven't had exposure to the above and are found left wanting when it comes to succeeding in the sport.

There are some very good, high profile people involved with this school, that have had proven success in recruiting outstanding talent and harnessing that talent in an nbl program. They are yet to prove themselves in their abilities to develop talent and they won't do this until they are developing those athletes in a competitive environment.

I would suggest while the concept has great potential if I was an athlete that didn't have super-rich parents then I would question the value for money. I would get into a tafe/uni course that means something, collect he govt. funding for that and try to crack it in my abl program, perhaps getting an individual coach with nbl playing/coaching experience. That way you get: competitive exposure, have to fight for your spot, individual coaching, qualifications that mean something and all without a massive HECS debt with nothing to show for it.

Reply #370201 | Report this post

Jersey  
Years ago

More like $60k for a diploma...no thx

Reply #370205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so Anon it is pretty much a junior college without the competitive games

Reply #370207 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think this is like all the Music Industry courses out there that rich parents send their kids who want to be musicians to.

The actual industry at the end of the day doesn'tt give a damn about a meaningless piece of paper, they will only sign an artist/athlete based on their ability and talent.

The other argument, is of course that such insititutions improve a kid's ability to the point where the piece of paper is irrelevant, but all of the evidence of the end result says otherwise.

Reply #370209 | Report this post

hog71  
Years ago

The big issue here is that some athletes and parents actually think this is a viable option in terms of elite development.

Reply #370211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I went searching for information on the ASB & found it on the Eastern Mavs website? It wasn't on any other club websites - player pathways & elite development. Has Mavs got some link to this program????

Reply #370212 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

the training sessions are fairly sloppy imo, though probably has to do with available talents.

it kind of struck me that almost 60% of kids are Africans which many do not work and that means they probably wouldn't be looking to pay back the HEC debt anytime soon (not mean to be racist here, I actually work within the community to try help them out but that's the reality). Many either live on Centerlink or go back to their country at end of day so this owing maybe there for a long time.

all in all it is a little like a scam that accesses government money...

Reply #370237 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Where is this college?

Reply #370245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne

Reply #370252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I seen them training at MSAC one day... Very very very average to say the least

Reply #370255 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

what level would you liken them to? domestic? district?

Reply #370269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Social!

Reply #370279 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

really? are you having a laugh or being serious?

Reply #370293 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

who runs it and who are the coaches ?

Reply #370726 | Report this post

The guru  
Years ago

Voldemort runs it doesn't he?

Reply #370727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes & Breheny

Reply #370734 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

who the hell is Voldemort ??

Reply #371070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil????

Reply #371075 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:30 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754