Best Point Guard In The NBA

Just sending this out there, who do you think is the best point guard in the NBA?

Personally Rajon Rondo is mine just because he's probably the best passer in the NBA and I'm a die hard Celtics fan

Topic #28759 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Chris Paul or Derrick Rose then prob Deron Williams

Reply #370264 | Report this post

Ginger  
Years ago

Rondo can't make team USA, deron, cp3, rose can.

Enough said....

Reply #370267 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

There are so many ways to interpret this debate. In terms of overall effect they have on their respective teams, it is either Paul or Rondo. Derrick Rose is terribly overrated in terms of his contribution to his team.

Reply #370272 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Rondo is the smartest, but is sometimes too smart for his own good. Some of the things he sees ahead of time not even Deron or Paul can see. But then again, sometimes he sees tries to make things happen that aren't there. An enigma, but the most curious/weird combination of talent the league has seen maybe ever. That triple double he got last season was just plain stupid. Nearly 20 in all three categories.

Chris Paul dominates the ball a little too much for my liking, but he's a hell of a player. PGs who are that involved in the offense from a ballhandling perspective don't win championships, historically.

Deron Williams has an amazing handle, and is an all round package. Hasn't played on a decent teams for a couple of years so its hard to tell where he's at, but I like the way he can mix his assists with early initiation of the offense. He should have a great year this coming season.

Then a step down from them you have Rose and then Westbrook, who are just plain athletic freaks, but I wonder how long their bodies will hold up playing that helter skelet brand of ball. Also they are both more combo guards than PGs.

If I had a contender, I would rather Williams or Rondo; if I had a struggling team that I needed a PG to put on his back, take on opposing sides all by himself and will a subpar roster the playoffs, I'd take Paul.

Reply #370274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tony parker?

Reply #370282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big rondo fan in the PG spot, I think hes the true definition of a point guard.

Reply #370286 | Report this post

athlete  
Years ago

Rondo isn't the best PG in the league... that comes down to Paul or Rose when he's healthy.

However, Rondo is the perfect PG for a championship caliber team, his basketball IQ and ability to control/dominate a game without scoring is unprecedented. His toughness is also something which is contagious in the locker room.
If you want a PG to be the missing piece to a contender, Rondo is the first guy you would call.

Reply #370288 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'd rank Parker ahead of Westbrook and behind Rondo, Williams, Paul and Rose.

Had a great season last year but then got picked apart by the Thunder in the WCFs, which was disappointing.

Reply #370291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Paul for too many reasons.

Reply #370302 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Rondo is a gun, but he can be a liability when his shot isn't falling. The Lakers showed in their last championship run that you can lay off him when his shot isn't working and clog the middle which reduces his effectiveness. If he had a shot like Deron, CP or Nash he would be the best by a mile. All players have weaknesses, it will be interesting to see Williams with a better team this year, I think he has the waepons to be the best, size (can post up smaller defenders), defense (prob not quickest but has strength to force his player to help spots), nice shot, excellent passing. Should be a great year of NBA.

Reply #370307 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

Best passer would probably be Rondo. Best driving guard would be Rose, Paul or Westbrook. Best mid/deep range on offense shooting wise would be Nash and Westbrook. Best defender a toss up. Westbrook, Rose, Paul and Williams all have cases there.

Lots of elite point guards in the NBA. Haven't even mentioned Tony Parker on here, plus there are some up and coming stars like Kyrie Irving and John Wall. The NBA has definitely become more of a point guard orientated league even more than it has been in past years.

Reply #370324 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I've put together a little ranking system in which I rank the top 5 point guards in the league in 6 different categories, then add the totals which then determines the 'best' point guard.

I've left out Nash and Parker and gone with the 5 most talked about and probably 5 best point guards in the league at the moment.

Paul, Williams, Westbrook, Rose and Rondo.

The categories are:

Passing, Scoring in the paint, Scoring from the perimeter, Controlling and generating the offence, Defense and Clutch.

The results are as follows for each category with 1 being the best, 5 being the worst and the lowest overall score determining the best.

Passing.
1. Rondo
2. Paul
3. Williams
4. Westbrook
5. Rose

Probably little argument here.

Scoring in the paint
1. Rose
2. Paul
3. Westbrook
4. Williams
5. Rondo

Rose and Paul just have a little more polish and control than what Westbrook does, Williams and Rondo don't score a great deal in the paint but Williams size and strength give him the advantage.

Scoring from the perimeter
1. Williams
2. Paul
3. Westbrook
4. Rose
5. Rondo

Williams has the best shot with Paul not too far behind. Westbrook is very hot and cold as is Rose and Rondo whilst developing is the least reliable.

Controlling and Generating the offence
1. Williams
2. Paul
3. Rondo
4. Rose
5. Westbrook

Williams can score and get his shot against anyone within the offense as well as facilitate and find easy shots for his teammates. He gets the offense going early in the shot clock which gives him the top seed over Paul and Rondo who tend to dribble a bit more. Paul's scoring ability gives him the edge over Rondo and Rose and Westbrook fight it out at the bottom.

Defense
1. Paul
2. Rondo
3. Westbrook
4. Williams
5. Rose

Paul and Rondo are pretty close at the top and Westbrook's athleticism gives him the third seed. Williams has the strength over Rose defensively and I think he's a little bit smarter which gives him the edge over Rose which is pretty debatable.

Clutch
1. Rondo
2. Paul
3. Williams
4. Rose
5. Westbrook

Rondo has consistently come up big in playoff and finals games and series. Even with an unreliable jump shot Rondo hit big shots and big threes in the playoffs this year to help the Celtics make it to seven games in the Eastern Conference Finals. Paul and Williams have each had their fair share of big playoff performances and whilst Rose and Westbrook have had a couple, neither have proven that they can be trusted in late game situations.

The Final rankings are:

1. Paul (11 points)
2. Williams (16 points)
3. Rondo (17 points)
4. Rose and Westbrook (23 points)

Paul was top 2 in every category and is the clear cut winner. Williams was good at everything, bad at nothing and ranked consistently across the board. Rondo was let down by his scoring inconsistencies which is no surprise. Rose and Westbrook were let down by their passing and distributing as well as perimeter scoring.

Reply #370367 | Report this post

Port  
Years ago

Some great posts here, especially by Mike and AK-47.

Tough call, but I'd have to give Chris Paul the nudge, with Rondo and Williams close behind him, followed by Rose, then Westbrook.

Reply #370390 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Who was the last PG to win a league MVP? There lies your answer to the best PG in the league, arguably the best player with Lebron.

Reply #370419 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:04 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754