alexkrad
Years ago

Rank the leagues around the world

Alot of people I know who follow basketball only follow the NBA and are not interested in the NBL because its a lower quality. Obviously the NBA has a better talent pool but when someone said to me the D-League is better than NBL I thought, hang on a minute, I have read that the D-League is pretty average.

So to give me some more fire power next time this topic comes up, please rank the major leagues around the world for me, including D-League and smaller leagues closer to home ie SEABL and the NZ league if you are knowledgable enough to do so!

What I could find looked something like this:

1 - NBA
2-4 - Top European leagues.
5ish - NBL
6-9 - Top Asian Leagues and D-League in here.

Topic #28773 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the difference between a league and an association?

Reply #370542 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

NBA
SPANISH
GREEK
EUROLEAGUE
EUROCUP
D-LEAGUE
NBL
ASIAN LEAGUE
NZBL
SEABL
ABL
Not too sure where vba or BigV rate.

These are only approximates but I believe that they are reasonable accurate. I'm sure that someone will tell me how wrong I am as usual on this site.

Reply #370544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Division 2 Europe is pretty good.

I know what Euroleague is, but is it really a stand alone league? I'm being pedantic...

Reply #370545 | Report this post

The guru  
Years ago

Nba
Euro league
Acb Spain
Euro Cup
Greek
Lithuanian/Russian/French leagues
Nbl
South American leagues
Lower euro pro leagues
D league
Asian league,eg cba/phillipiines
Nznbl
Seabl

Reply #370549 | Report this post

D  
Years ago

Philippines League (PBA)is pumped up over there like its NBA, in reality the top State League teams here in Australia could compete with the PBA teams.

Reply #370582 | Report this post

The guru  
Years ago

Do phillipiines players get paid good? I know diamon played there. He must have destroyed it...

Reply #370595 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think the PBA has height restrictions on Imports.

Pretty sure Diamon just got in..They measured him in at 6-foot-5 15/16. The limit is 6"6. Funny that Draft Express lists him at 6"8 (But unsure if PBA measurement is done in shoes..would assume not)

Funny actually..Thats the only time you would want to be shorter than your listed height.

He averaged 25ppg and 16.4rpg :p

Reply #370598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Diamon caused a huge controversy because everyone in the Philippines knew he was clearly over 6'7.

Reply #370613 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Phillipines is not a very good standard, with an emphasis on Americans hogging the ball and lots of isolation play.

But damn they are hoops mad. It's insane.

Reply #370618 | Report this post

Step back  
Years ago

NBA
Euroleague
Spanish ACB
Greek/Russian
Italian/French pro A/Turkish/German/NBL
Belgium/Holland/Porto/China/Canadian/NBADL
Slovak/Slovenian/Swiss/SEABL/NZNBL

Not sure on the other eastern euro countries or the other asian and South American countries..Only familiar with these ones. Also should mention that some countries D2 and D3 leagues would still rank pretty high, especially Spain and Greece

Reply #370634 | Report this post

D  
Years ago

PBA imports can get like 15k to 20k aussie per month. Local players can get a maximum of 8k aussie a month. The "superstar" local players get money under the table as well. AS with most leagues around the world

If you want a good read on Philippines basketball and how crazy it is get your hands on this book

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Rims-Flip-Flops-Philippines-Basketball/dp/0451229991

Reply #370663 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

What about the domestic league teams that don't make the Euroleague or Eurocup. How would we stack up against them?

Reply #370673 | Report this post

Ceres 13  
Years ago

Euroleague
NBA

VTB United League
Spanish League
Greek League

Italian League
Eurocup

Turkish League
Adriatic League
NBL

German League
French League

New Zealand

Then come leagues like Belgium, Ukraine, Poland, Israel, Lithuania, Baltic, Serbia, Slovenia, Croatia, Latvia, Bulgaria, EuroChallenge (where Deron Williams played).......

Next come NBA Summer Leagues....

Americas League
South American League

Puerto Rico

Then NBA D-League.
the really crappy European leagues.

Then you have leagues like China, Argentina, Brazil....

Next there are the leagues like Asian Champions' Cup, Iran, Lebanon, Jordan, Korea, Japan.

Philippines

Then you have the bottom ones like British, English, Scottish, Irish, Canada.

Pretty much something like that.

Don't believe anyone that says the D-League is better than leagues in Europe or the NBL. I have heard many NBA fans, especially Americans make the claim the D-League is the #2 league.

It's absurd. A couple years ago a few D-League teams played against SECOND division Greek teams and lost every game.

Reply #370981 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I wouldn't have New Zealand that high. They get a few decent players and reasonable imports, but from the games I saw a few years back, I didn't think it was that great otherwise. The better non-NBL ABLers in Adelaide could get spots if they didn't have to suit as imports.

Reply #370996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ceres, you're on some strong stuff.

I've heard the NZ league is only around ABL standard and many consider SEABL a higher standard than it.

Reply #371006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's obvious that Australians are just as clueless about basketball as Americans.

The NBA and its crazy marketing schemes have destroyed basketball over most of the planet.

Reply #371129 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:57 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754