Pick a core focus
Years ago

Funny The BASA monster

BASA has become a monster unto itself. All the clubs pay fees to BASA through registrations, nominations, court hire, entry into games, game fees etc.

Clubs/parents pay BASA up to $50 - $70 K each per year.

The clubs should start up a new central administration body. In this day and age why do we need offices? The staff for this body could work from home and be networked via their PCs. You could probably employ 3 fulltime staff for the new BASA. 2 staff that work solely on dealing with the clubs, administring the rules for clearances etc and setting the draws. The 3rd staff member could work with umpires rostering, training, recruitment etc. and help out with admin.

The state champs should be run by a club each year same as National Junior tournaments.

The clubs should be responsible for marketing district basketball, aussie hoops, running domestic comps etc. KPIs should be set for each club and agreed to by the Presidents. If the club does not reach their KPIs, the presidents can vote for them to lose their member status (IE no Div 1 teams) and while remaining independent with their own name, day to day running, funding, coaches etc. they could effectively come under the administration by another club (preferably the next closest club) until they can hit their KPIs. A club under administration loses their Executive Management and the administring club board takes over. At AGM time the members of both clubs have voting rights with the members only been able to nominate 1 - 2 members to the "joint executive board". When under administration the administrating member club is effectively the district club and the club under administration is their domestic club. Players can move into div 1 from the club under administration by transferring to their member club. The goal would be to help get the club under administration back on its feet eventually and some reward structure should be in place for the administring club that helped them do this.

The club fees to BASA could be reduced and all clubs could use the money they save in BASA costs to employ part time staff to get on with developing basketball at the grass roots level.

Clubs should setup their own domstic comps, negotiate with councils / schools / government to funded stadium development and have more ownership and say into their facilities. Councils / schools / government are more likely to fund stadiums in the community interest than BASA who also have to make enough money to fund to National League teams.

The clubs are in a better position to run domestic comps because if more funds are available to them they will have a better understanding of basketball in their area, be more appealing players starting out who want to link in with district club, be able to use their older/former district players to coach and umpire the domestic comps etc.

Topic #2880 | Report this topic

Libertine  
Years ago

Some good ideas. But it won't happen because leopards don't change their spots.

Reply #32695 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

I actually thought it was a load of crap! The only new ideas are those where it is proposed to put a club under administration - and that is a joke!

Clubs and BASA can't even get promotion relegation going, yet you suggest putting a club under the administration of another club!

Reply #32699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KPI's - are we going to hand control over to the government, or a government styled puppet?

This is basketball, those sort of things need to be left in the govt. sector, there are other ways to measure performance.

Reply #32700 | Report this post

FMJ  
Years ago

The points about more efficient staff and not needing offices are interesting.

Reply #32707 | Report this post

Pick a core focus  
Years ago

Pegs, some clubs need guidance and support. The purpose of "administration" is:

- to provide non-performing clubs with the support they need to get on their feet

- provide the better players in the weaker clubs the opportunity to still make a seamless transfer to div 1 basketball by transferring to the "adminstering" club.

Reply #32717 | Report this post

Mum  
Years ago

I am with you pegs, a load of shit!

Reply #32718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I certainly hope the orginial post has a little ball for its humour and entertainment value.

Reply #32731 | Report this post

I'm an idea's man  
Years ago

Common guys,

Dont throw the baby out with the bath water. There are some pretty good idea's amoungst all that. Although it is a bit simplistic and having clubs "put under administration by another club" smells of disaster.

Can you imaging Woodville looking after West's junior girls program. Sure they will recruit kids for West. And they will give them the good one's too. (please not the sarcasm)

But some of the other suggestions are quite entertaining.

While I think you still need an office. I agree that for junior basketball about 3 people would be all that you need to run the show if each club was capable of running their own stadium. Just a small office that doesn't cost much. Plus you would need all of the stadiums to be online which they aren't yet. Don't know why?

Rater than needing to have KPI's just implement promotion/relegation for juniors and then clubs will need to decide at what level they will support and promote the game in their local stadium. Do a bad job and some of your teams might not make the top grade.

plus use the current development officers money, along with the money that comps and school clinics could make and each club could easily have somebody on full time, working with the stadium managers to fill all of the stadiums with competitions and then allowing for the growth of more stadiums.

We would need to have each club with a home stadium. But the idea of getting local coucil and government backing is good. Look at the Unley, Tarra Murra, St.Clairs and especially Golden Grove. There is money to be made if it is run properly. Rather then supporting a bank loan. Why don't some clubs look to take over at one of these venue's.

And with the current shape of BASA now is the best time to act. If they saw something that they could make some extra money out of this might help sway then right now.

Reply #32734 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

This idea was tried by business in the early to mid 90's...most notably through the then CES and Social Security, where the offices were all de-centralised.

As we all know now, this has gone back to central control - why??? because de-centralisation just does not work.

The clients (in this case, players/parents/coaches) would be getting differing information, different treatment, and clubs run in all sorts of different ways.

With a central office, with the organisation controlled through a central administration, there is some semblance of quality control (I'm not going to debate how well that quality control may or may not be working)

As far as people working from home...its called tele-commuting, and a lot of corporations use it to some extent or another (damn, I;d love to do my job sitting around in my pj's all day :) )

Reply #32831 | Report this post

boost juice  
Years ago

there just seems to be so much distance between your u12 div 5 player and BASA heirachy - what the two focusses are world's apart - yet they live under the same banner

Reply #32835 | Report this post

Yogee, I understand your argument. However CES and Social Security are huge government run organisations.

Government departments all focus on centralisation beit in Canberra for federal or SA (just look at Health Department).

However we are talking about basketball. Think of the clubs as running their own franchises (EG Mcdonalds). As long as they agree to common delivery model and approach and some pooling of resources in marketing and administration where it makes sense then, it is best for the clubs to micromanage basketball in their own area. Who is going to know what is best for Aussie Hoops in Port Adelaide - the BASA admin / development officers or West Adelaide itself? If West had its own domestic competition who would profit more out of Aussie Hoops - BASA or West Adelaide. I would think the incentives are greater for the clubs to succeed in Aussie Hoops etc. than it is for BASA.

Reply #32851 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

In that, i think you've highlighted the biggest hurdle to your concept.

"As long as they agree to common delivery model"

I really think it would like trying to convert Japan to communism.

Why would the successful clubs agree to terms that would bring them back to peggings with the other clubs, and why would lower clubs agree to terms that wouldn't bring them back to par. Its a catch 22 unfortunatly.

However, are there any portions of this idea that we could extract and try to implement anyway?

Reply #32852 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Revolution - yes I agree that a franschise type system MIGHT work.

Franchising works to a certain extent. Sure, you can walk into any Maccas, Wendys Ice creams, even Telstra Licensed Stores, and the store looks the same, and the product is the same.

What differs is the service. Training is done mainly in house, and if the person responsible for delivering said training isnt on the ball, it paves the way for nothing but bad experiences for the customers of that store.

Reply #32859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but currently its centralized and there's bad experiences everywhere!

Reply #32860 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:22 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754