Fletch
Years ago

Team USA vs Spain pre olympic warm ups (spoiler)

USA defeated Spain 100-78 today. Team USA are looking unbeatable. A definite Gold medal team and will probably go all the way undefeated.

Topic #28845 | Report this topic

Fletch  
Years ago

And here is a link to the FIBA highlights
http://www.fibatv.com/video/id/2017539

Reply #371725 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

I would say USA are actually beatable... Spain took it to them until midway through the 2nd quarter and weren't too fussed when the USA pulled away a little.

Spain were happy to take the foot off the gas.

Marc Gasol playing will make a huge difference.

If the USA don't happen to be hot from outside then they are very vulnerable I feel...

Reply #371737 | Report this post

Jim Bert  
Years ago

Problem is with that amount of star power there is always going to be someone who is hot.

Reply #371741 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Their opponents need to get an unsailable lead up before the USA can figure out who the hot person/s is!!! haha

Reply #371747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didnt think Spain looked particularly impressive at all... nor america. Im starting to think brazils the team to beat.

Reply #371765 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Spain have always eased into tournaments and not set the world on fire during warm up matches though.

They usually peak at the right time...

Reply #371771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't pump up the USA too much they only just beat Brazil by 11 points (and they choked letting the US get back in it) and then they only beat Argentina by 6 points or something.

I think they'll struggle to combat Spain's size at the Olympics.

Reply #371776 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The USA should win it, Spain lack a 4 or 5 who can stretch the D, but I think there'll be some interesting games and as we all know it only takes one bad night to ruin a tournament.

USA v Nigeria should be fascinating for the athleticism on show, while Spain, Russia, Brazil, Argentina and France could all challenge on the night if they play to their best.

Reply #371777 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It pains me listening to Fran Fraschilla commentate the games.

Reply #371782 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I think Fran is a pretty good commentator doe, and I think Lithuania might surprise at this tournament

Reply #371790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spain have states that they are ok to lose in the warmup matches..they definitely took the pedal off, howard shots did Navarro Spain's best 3pt shooter take? You can't say it was USA smothering defense because I think he used to that.having the 2nd Gasol will make a huge difference

Reply #371797 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Will Fran be commentating the Olympics? Think USA are beatable but their opponent would have to be on fire for the whole game. Team USA are having a field day from the 3 point line though, KD is averaging 50% so far from beyond the arc.
Anyone else notice how much some of these guys complain about calls?? Reminds me of soccer!

Reply #371798 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Yeah Agree Avv, spain have publicly stated they are not interested in winning warm up matches but have their eyes on the olympics.Would like to see Spain get the gold.

Agree MACDUB the commentators of Fran & Mark are annoying. Apparently the fact that basketball players have to dribble the ball and not just run with it is not good for the game of basketball. maybe they shouldn't dribble at all and just put it under their arms and run with it, in that case Australia definitely has a chance

Reply #371806 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Just off topic a bit but interesting,

Spain population 48mill
France 62mill
America 319mill

I wouldnt mind seeing a Euro Team vs USA game since when you look at the population base the USA has a much larger population to draw from. Kinda makes us not look to bad for the success we have with only 28mill in Australia.

Reply #371810 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Australian population is only ~22 million :)

Reply #371813 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Australia has done well in Basketball for a population of 22 million. But the most impressive country in terms of population is Lithuania with a population of 3.2 million they have been able to win a couple of Olympic medals and they beat USA in the Athens Olympics in 2004 and pushed in them to the wire in the unforgettable semi-finals in the Sydney Olympics 2000. Lithuania has produced Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Sarunas Marciulionis,Arvydas Sabonis, and Šar?nas Jasikevi?ius there basketball development program must be top notch.

Reply #371833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spain took the foot off the gas against the USA. I take it they couldn't actually be fucked then against the Boomers? and they still won.

Reply #371834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just off topic a bit but interesting,

Spain population 48mill
France 62mill
America 319mill

I wouldnt mind seeing a Euro Team vs USA game since when you look at the population base the USA has a much larger population to draw from. Kinda makes us not look to bad for the success we have with only 28mill in Australia.

--------------------------------------------

It would not be fun to watch. Europe would win every game by 30 points.

Reply #372070 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:09 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754