Jack Toft
Years ago

R17 ABL Action

Ah, The Olympics. Not a sport as such but several peculiar sports grouped together, just like a group of peculiar countries forms the EU. Each host country likes to introduce a new sport. The English have scoured their pubs, but could only find darts and plate licking, but were knocked back.

West-Norwood @ Port
Women: Playing Norwood is a bit being a contestant on a Japanese game show. You just sorta know something bad is going to happen to you. Simon even promises to bring the Ninja scorpians and the Wusabi, that's the kinda thoughtful person he is.
Men: Norwood have snagged 5th and Brad would be happier than Bear Grylls with a dead carcass ... . along comes a spider called West. Probably doesn’t matter who drops this one, they’ll meet again in finals, but Norwood are the Steven Bradbury of the competition, so I am going to tip an upset at the Port.

South-Sturt@ Marion
Women: Despite what it looks like, South would be looking half a chance tonight so Sturt better watch out. Sturt should squeeze past the Panthers in the last 10 m to take the gold, gold, gold !
Men: There’s probably no way to sugar coat this for South. Just bring plenty of lube then grin and bear it. The pain of this season will be over soon enough. It's a bit like clay pigeon shooting with Sturt holding the shotgun.

Woodville-Mavs @ St Clair
Women: Only a miracle will prevent the Mavs from not playing finals. They just need to finish on equal wins with the Tigeresses. It only seems like yesterday that Woodville could beat the Mavs … that was when a few Greek blokes were tossing a discus about, running naked and wrestling with each other in the sand while a crowd watched ... no, wait a minute that was my last Contiki tour. Mavs will secure a finals spot after tonight.
Men: Will the wheels completely fall off for Woodville? or can they keep going just a bit longer. This might not be a pretty game, but just like the Jerry Springer show with a couple of transexual lovers from Alabama on as guests fighting over a trailer trash druggie, you know you can’t look away. Mavs have picked up by 8 ppg in the second half, Woodies have dropped 13 ppg. Mavs by 10! The only gold Woodies will see is Al’s tooth.

Lions - Rockets @ Starplex
Women: MOTR. Both teams need to stamp their authority on proceedings before finals. Lionesses have eased in the second half, whereas Norf have gotten stronger. Norf will take this one easily and be as popular with the locals as Hugh Sheridan is at the jetty in Port A Gutta.
Men: This might be a dead rubber, but Lions play their best 'ball at home. They score 14 more ppg at home and Norf score 6 points less on the road. That should warm the cockles of Scotty Whitmore’s heart as he searches for his 7th gold. An upset becans. It would be bigger than when the Olympic French pastry baking team's entry was beaten by the Scottish deep fried mars bar served with a side order of haggis.

Eagles – Tigers @ Wayville
Women: The apple crunchers are set to ambush the Tigers, whose finals season seems to have evaporated like the Olympic dreams of the New Zealand basketballers. Forestville and wins just seem to go together like a Kernewek Lowender and a bottle of swanky. Rydhsys rag Kernow lemmyn. Surely Forestville would rather play the girls one more time in finals?
Men: Eagles would be going into this one pretty confident. Wouldn’t the place go mental if the Tigers got a win. Could they make it out the carpark? No upset tonight as this is like Japan playing USA in Olympic basketball. The Brad’s to get gold tonight.

Topic #28852 | Report this topic

Rock  
Years ago

Well done again Jack.

Are you sure that was a Kontiki tour????

Reply #371826 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

might not have been a Contiki, could have been Glenelg on a Saturday night

Reply #371830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

south women to lose again

Reply #371944 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Jack, you've lost me. Are the Eagles fighting to save Cornwall, or are the Tigers vertically challenged??

Reply #372036 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Maybe both DaddyO.

I always try to bring in something South Aussie each week. This week it was the Kernewek Lowender.

I hope a few people googled "Rydhsys rag Kernow lemmyn" I had to add that to honour my Cornish heritage.

Reply #372069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The person who just pops on and says south to lose again, you are the loser my friend. Get a life.

Reply #372099 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Freedom for Cornwall? Yay! My Kadina heritage is showing...

Reply #372102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But the south to lose again person will probably be correct

Reply #372127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah south are probably overall the weakest club of all 10 clubs competing in abl.

Reply #372135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No live stats from Pt Adelaide. Can anyone post score of West vrs Flames men?

Reply #372146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is only room for stats or norwood egos so the stats lose out any time norwood play.

Reply #372148 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

West men won by 11 points! West men looking in good form!

Reply #372156 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Agree with Norwood egos!!!

Reply #372157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How bad is west though demeaning their young women floor wipers with sadie the cleaning lady. Volunteers r hard to find without demeaning them in front of their peers.

Reply #372158 | Report this post

tragic  
Years ago

Does anyone know the result of south v sturt women

Reply #372159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt by 18.. Could have gone either way. South a shocka of a third quater. I see Southern got thumped by Forestville. Bye bye finals.

Reply #372160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern had 4 under 18 players!! Never had a chance

Reply #372161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excuses, excuses. The were only missing Cibiattoni werent they? Which yes is a big out. But that is a dimal performance.

Reply #372162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last post, no Alex, no Simone Nelson, no Teressa Kinrosse 3 starters!! So no excuses just stating the point

Reply #372164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southerns US 'exports' continued their disgraceful form. The team has been on a serious slide from the time they got back. Bad attitudes combined with crap basketball.

Southern have really screwed the pooch this season!

Reply #372176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with the above. Seem to go down hill since they got back. Isnt that the coaches fault??

Reply #372181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And those 3 wouldnt have made that much difference to the result I dont think. Either way, looks like the will be out of finals.

Reply #372182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they would have made a considerable difference. Maybe not got them
Over the line but would have distributed the offense a fair bit better. 38 shots out of 70 coming from 2 players. Plus -17 on the boards which Nelson would have certainly helped significantly. Why Spencer would take 22 shots against the inside defense of Borrego and Thompson is ludicrous - however missing Kinross and Ciabattoni means they were lacking offensive options.

I agree however - I think the coach is heavily to blame, unless instructions coming from above about rotations. They were flying earlier in the year with Anderson and Ciabattoni firing, then a few players coming back, minutes get skewed, offense ending with the wrong people, and the losses mounted.

Reply #372186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

186, are you a parent impacted by skewed minutes or just a coach in waiting? From afar it looks like personalities that grounded southern last year and this one where ball sharing is not going to happen.

Reply #372187 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Personalities were crying outside the stadium after last week's game against the Bearcats. Doesn't seem like a happy team.

Reply #372190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well shite happens, take the Woodville girl last night who fouled out after 11 minutes of game time, which isn't brilliant but the coach there can't be the brightest bunny in the warren either not to have sat her on the pine earlier.Crying and women's basketball seem to go and in hand.

Reply #372204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did West women win last night

Reply #372208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow go mavs, 2nd mens win.

Reply #372209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw the Tigers v Eagles and the girls looked like they were playing a style that was missing the key components and I'd say the missing players were it, yes a lot of shots taken from the short corner but no post screen to support, looked ugly and unorganised.

The mens game was a treat to watch went to OT, Tigers had the game most of the night and it shouldn't have went to OT but seems the couldn't handle the pressure and Forestville showed poise and experience to cope with the situation and take the win.

Reply #372212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so where were the missing girls for Southern anyway??

Reply #372216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They still had alot of talent playing, so maybe just a bad game?

Reply #372217 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The Tigers women simply lacked the height and body strength to challenge the Eagles talls in the paint.

The young tigers men were fantastic last night - forcing the more fancied and experienced Eagles into overtime. The Eagles were sloppy and undisciplined in defence, missed far too many easy shots and the Tigers defence clearly won the rebound count. Took a 3 pointer from Brad Sullivan against the flow of the game in the last 30 seconds to take the game into extra time. A couple of misses at the free throw line from the Tiges was all it took for the Eagles to snatch the game on the return play.

Reply #372230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You people having a crack at tigers women have no idea

Reply #372241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do we have no idea?

They play little defense and had an offense that had no rules...just play loose girls!! Ciabatoni has never been able to play without the ball in her hands.

I hear her mother had a go at the assitant a couple of weeks ago, cos she is selfish?? ....no kidding.

Reply #372258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's no surprise the Tigers got pumped as they have played all year with the worst bench ever seen so not having regular starters was the end.

Three of the bench girls struggle in Under 18 Division 1 and its a mystery why they are part of this squad.

I hope it has nothing to do with the fact that two of them have parents on the Executive.

They need to find a full sqaud that can contribute in some manner.

Reply #372267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Above post, what club are you from

Reply #372268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Few people have an axe to grind I think

Reply #372418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok no, they had to play under 18s....
Imagine if they had to play that many under 18 girls each week like some other clubs do.
Sturt have had to do it this year, and we see how bad they are without WNBL players. West have been shocking having to play so many juniors because of their "AWESOME" junior girls program recently.

No wonder why people dont go to women's games

Reply #372426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually west v nwd womens game was intense all game. Nwd without foley but west pushef them to the end. West wdv sturt southrrn will all be better for the season experience. Valk can coach though jury out on jeanrtte n hopgood is woefully bad

Reply #372427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another poorly coached loss for Norwood's mens team. Looks like its going to be an early finish this year if the coach continues to play favourites. A big exodus coming at the end of the year. I hope all those juniors 'coming' through will be ready for some big minutes.

Reply #372438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To all the knockers if the tiger girls win this week they play finals!!

Reply #372446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In fact the only way theavs can get in is if centrals win or the tigers win by about 40 points

Reply #372450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only way the Tigers can get in is if the beat Centrals and the Mavs lose.

On current form this is highly unlikely.

Reply #372454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If tigers win they are the 2-0 over centrals, centrals are 2-0 over mavs, mavs are 2-0 over tigers, therefore it goes down to percentage of the games played between the 3 teams and mavs percentage is way lower than the other two, tigers win they are in, tigers lose Mavs are in, tigers win by 30+ tigers play mavs at home in first week of finals!!

Reply #372455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pardon my ignorance but how can mavs and tigers play first week of finals aren't they both fighting for the same 5th spot?

should nwd sit out first week of finals, north v centrals then fvlle v mavs/tigers whoever gets in?

Reply #372461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read the rules and you won't be ignorant!!

Reply #372468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rules or by laws cause the two are different kettles of fish

unlikely scenario whatever happens no way Southern will make the finals.

Reply #372471 | Report this post

tic tak  
Years ago

anon, dont be a dick.
Some people on her might not have access to "the rules"
that's why it's a forum, because people at all levels of knowledge come on her to discuss stuff.

If your so smart, why not just clear it up for them

Reply #372473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I prefer the hate Borego and Forestville thread better

Reply #372474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Head to Head is Centrals +25,Tigers +2,Mavericks-27.So Central would have to lose by 53 for Mavs to get in,if Tigers and Mavs both win.Tigers need West to beat Mavs and win themselves to get in.

Reply #372475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tic tak you have access to this site therefore you have access to the FIBA site and the rules!!

Reply #372483 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Not much on here about the Warriors going down to the Mavs. Looks like they won't be playing playoffs this year either.
Weren't they predicted to be playing finals this year?? Or were they relying too much on Creek playing the whole season?

Reply #372508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

creek is a great player, but kinda struggled in abl this year.

Reply #372542 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I believe that is the case with 5th spot. Eastern should account for West and if Tigers beat Lions and create a three way tie with all three teams on 11 and 7, then it gets decided on a 3 way split.

Even if it gets decided on %, the Lions (114%), and Tiger (102%) have better % than Mavs (94%)

The Mavs do need the Lions to win to play finals and the Tigers need the Lions to lose. Brown paper bags on order? or will it be a steak lunch with a good McLaren Vale Shiraz or an Adelaide Hills Pinor Noir?

Reply #372543 | Report this post

Phadreus  
Years ago

Jack,

I thought you were a actually someone who understood basketball. Overall percentage only comes into a 3 way tie if all 3 teams head to head results are.equal. since the change away from overall percentage to head to head I can only recall that happening once.

Head to head Mavs miss out if Southern beat Centrals. Might be smart for centrals to let that happen and avoid Tess the following week.

Reply #372564 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Phadreus, why would you have a go at Jack?

Are you just being a smart ass about your 'knowledge'?

Just be polite and help out when you can, and we will all be better off.

Reply #372576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Southern win and Mavs win, Mavs are in the finals as head to head Mavs own southern beeting them both games this year

If Mavs go down to West and Southern win, Southern are in the finals as they will have 1 more win

and if Mavs win and southern go down Mavs again are through

Reply #372670 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Overall % still doesn't come into it in a 3 way tie - it's win/loss comparison then % only in the games involving each of the 3 against each other.

Reply #372696 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:37 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754