david $tern
Years ago

Aussies who could make NBA very soon

Joe Ingles has been a name i keep hearing around, his play so far in the olympic campaign has been nothing short of superb. Matt Dellavedova is showing day by day why he deserves the shot at the big time, What he lacks in athleticism he makes up in high i.q and incredible passing. I would love to see big Aleks Maric get run, the same with Aron Baynes who has also been playing awesome for Australia. What are your opinions?

Topic #28858 | Report this topic

El Diablo  
Years ago

Baynes is surprising athletic (very strong and can jump) I don't know if he has the basketball IQ to make it in the NBA.

I love Delly's game, but he is not quick enough to play in the NBA. He will be our best Australian player in Europe (and one of the best in Europe full stop) in the next 5 years.

Ingles and Newley are good, but not great. If they were more naturally scorers (good for 20+ a game every game like Gaze or Heal) they would be in the NBA already

Reply #371888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant see Baynes in the NBA but agree with the others. Additionally Nathan Jawai depending on how well he plays in Spain could be back in the nba. At college, depending on how well they play this season could certainly be drafted are Delly and Motum

Reply #371889 | Report this post

david $tern  
Years ago

Don't forget that delly did shut down star point guard Tony Parker the other night

Reply #371892 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's not what I saw when I watched the game. Delly is doing a great job of constantly improving though.

Reply #371894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think were going to be waiting a while for our next Australian NBA draftee... But I already know his name

Dante Exum

Reply #371910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cesil's Son?

Reply #371912 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes.

Reply #371913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cecil, yes.

I agree I think Jawai might be the next one but in his case it would be returning to the NBA.

He's got a great opportunity this season playing for the best club in the best national league outside the NBA.

Reply #371915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you would have to think Exum and Ben Simmons would be on the radar of some of the big college teams in the states. Both have the size at their positions and athleticism required for the NBA, just have to spend the next few years developing their skills.

Reply #371919 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think we have a number of prospects that could make the NBA for the first time...here is my take...

Ingles - outside chance but impressive Olympics will help
Jawai - outside chance
Andersen - outside chance
Maric - An impressive Olympics could see him in the NBA
Dellavedova - A solid Olympics and another great college year as a senior and he will be drafted in 2nd round - but would still need to fight for a roster spot
Motum - If he backs up his impressive junior season, he will be drafted next year
Broekhoff - improving chance of being drafted
Greenwood - too early to call
Drmic - too early to call
Exum - still way too early to call but looking very promising
Simmons - see above
Duncan - see above

Reply #371920 | Report this post

david $tern  
Years ago

I agree with you LC

Reply #371922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thon Maker - way too early, but looking very good so far with college sites putting him at No. 1 prospect for his freshman recruiting year...

Reply #371925 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Deng Deng from Waverley is in JUCO right now, if he develops, who knows...

Reply #371927 | Report this post

Sting What?  
Years ago

Watch Deng in action for a dunk comp. #45 Some of the dunks he does would be NBA dunk champ. Crazy stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlgyGDQJjWY

Reply #371949 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The thing stopping Newley and Ingles is the lack of fearlessness, and to a lesser extent - ego - that's been somewhat missing since their early NBL days. (Although they both seem to have regained a little of it lately)

I wanna see a bit of swagger at these olympics, and I wanna see them attacking the rim like it assaulted their mothers.

Reply #371962 | Report this post

Narky  
Years ago

Pity Drewy doesn't have a son that can dunk on Dante.

Reply #371966 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mick, Ingles has an ego and it's what helped him get the jump at NBL level. Newley seems a bit quieter to me, but he's definitely still aiming for the NBA.

Reply #371977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng you are joking can't even dominate CYMS on a Sunday night. A athlete but not smart enough to make it!

Reply #371979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng you are joking can't even dominate CYMS on a Sunday night. A athlete but not smart enough to make it!

Reply #371980 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ingles issue is consistency, it's why he has never been a star anywhere.

Reply #371983 | Report this post

Upsetter  
Years ago

Two words- Ater Majok.

Reply #372003 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Pretty good analysis LC but i'd actually prefer if most did play in Europe so they'd actually play rather than ride the pine.

Man with that talent I wish a Billionaire would swoop in and take over the NBL get all the Aussie players back!

Reply #372013 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Wonder if it would increase chances of Euro-based Aussie players getting to the big dance if they took a (massive) paycut to spend a year in the D-League?

Reply #372025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous, Dante Exum is going to North Carolina like his dad.

Reply #372026 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Have they offered him yet? Before the u17's he only had 2 scholarship offers and neither was from a BCS conference

Reply #372063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick I agree with the fearlessness statement and to be honest I see it way to much with players who talent drips off only thing is they don't have the killer instinct or the hunger to dominate...

As for Deng Deng, that link shows a white boy number 5 clearly the best dunks of them all, anyone know who he is?

Reply #372094 | Report this post

Johnny  
Years ago

Eamon Ripon ^^

Reply #372103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dellavedova and motum strong chances then exum, simmons and maker outside chances for ingles, baynes and a motivated nathan jawai.

Reply #387383 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:33 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754