Anonymous
Years ago

UMAT stuff Up?

Word is that students sat two different UMAT tests on Wednesday with one apparently easier than the other and that the afternoon session went way past scheduled finishing time. Anyone in the know about it because I'd appreciate a heads up.

Topic #28865 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Is this basketball?!

Reply #372016 | Report this post

meo  
Years ago

If your name is Ng it might be

Reply #372019 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Haven't heard anything, however good luck to the kids who sat.

Reply #372020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

med entry test Isaac

Reply #372047 | Report this post

El Diablo  
Years ago

UMAT or UMAD? LOL

Reply #372048 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Of interest to enough here? If so, no worries. Had to look it up to work out what it was about!

(Was also on my phone and unable to check the IP to see if it was maybe accidental or overseas spam, etc.)

Reply #372052 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Well this is a very different off-topic.

No offence intended, but it doesn't seem like something that many here will care about (and thus probably not post) opposed to the more current affair/ news stuff that is off-topic.

I figured they would all take the same test, but if that were not the case, maybe one of the students wasn't happy with how hard it was. It's subjective and without seeing and comparing both tests it is a matter of opinion really.

For what it's worth, I'd like to see the UMAT test gone, it focuses on testing the abstract which is a natural thing, and many strong students miss out on medicine who otherwise would not have.

Reply #372060 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

KET

UMAT had its beginnings in the high dropout rates for medicine and related courses. Too many students with adequate academic performance were either deciding that medicine wasn't for them after all or proving not to have the interpersonal skills and non knowledge based attributes to required of a medico.

Adelaide Uni developed a screening process to assess aptitude for the profession, to complement the academic requirements. It led to improved completion rates. However, quite a few people complained, as their kids weren't getting into medicine, even though they had high ATAR scores. Not the least were some prominent doctors who wanted their children to folow in their footsteps - something I had been told was one of the problems with poor completion rates (medicine was the parents' ambition for their child, not the child's wish for himself or herself). The test was modified and I believe led to the UMAT, which was adopted by universities more widely.

This is my somewhat fuzzy recollection of conversations with a past Dean of a couple of the medical schools, in the late 1990s. The link to the UMAT may not be as direct as I've understood it to be.

Reply #372097 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

How would two students be able to compare the difficulty of their respective UMAT tests seeing as they would have only sat one!? Everyone gets different booklets during the exam so that there is no opportunity to cheat. As for the scheduled finishing time, it is not specified. ACER say to allow 'approximately' 4-5 hours and not to arrive early.

Reply #372994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How would you know the tests were of a similar level of difficulty?

Reply #373008 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:40 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754