Bball Fan
Years ago

Why is PC getting no time??

Seriously, WHY is PC getting no minutes? I understand he won't get minutes in games where it is close, so why not when the game blew out last night? It would have been a golden chance. Down by a shitload, need quick points......soooo frustrating. To top it off, Gibbo gets on before him. What could he possibly do that PC couldn't?

Topic #28910 | Report this topic

BigAds  
Years ago

I'm having flashbacks to the Sydney Olympics; why no court time for Martin or Brett.

Re PC: Anybody got a direct line to Brett, Andrej, Marty or PC himself? Put the question to them can you and post their answers on this forum.

Reply #372956 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Why take him & not play him?

Would have been better to take another big (Jawai) who could help with Gasols & Ibaka.

Strange behaviour!!

Reply #372962 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Orbit, Jawai would not help in guarding anyone, his value would be on the offensive end if he were to be on the team.

But PC should have at least seen 2-5 minutes in the 3rd quarter against both Brazil and Spain.

Reply #372968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he knows he has a specific role - he'll be put in to break up a zone or be on for 3-5 mins to provide a quick scoring punch. They also want him to try to grab a few steals.

i think he could have provided that in the Spain game for sure, not so sure about Brazil.

dont forget he is playing the same spot as Ingles & Newley who have been (arguable) our best.

Reply #372969 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

you'd think you at least chuck him in, run him off a couple of screens and put a couple up at least!!! if they drop, it's on. if not, pull him off, easy?
the benefit would far out weigh the risk

Reply #372982 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

I can only hope he gets a go now that we're past these two disappointments. Start afresh Brett give Crawford a shot. Please.

Reply #372991 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

With our perimeter players shooting 5/35 three point range so far, not performing consistently on defensive and not attacking the hole with any regularity there is no question Crawford should have played in both games.

Reply #372993 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Geez my grammar sucked once I started editing that comment, didnt it?! You know what I mean though.

Reply #372995 | Report this post

djmojo  
Years ago

I thought pero cameron was involved with the tall blacks LOL

Reply #372998 | Report this post

Jan  
Years ago

I agree with Paul as Ingles and Newley are not taking high percentage shots or
making them consistently? Team 5 of 35 from the Arc.
It is odd that Crawford has not been tried?
Is he injured?

Reply #373010 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

paul think it was 5/48

Reply #373014 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To be fair, the team did rally to draw the margin back without PC out there, but I too would've given him more of a crack.

I think the problems run a bit deeper - Mills' decision making and weaker strategy compared to Spain hurt. How many open looks did Rudy get?

12 points is pretty reasonable considering. Having both Gasols is the equivalent of us having two Boguts out there rather than the bigs we do.

Reply #373016 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I wouldn't look too much into the 12 point margin.

That flatters the Boomers.

In reality, Spain were much better than the 12 point margin suggests.

I really do not think Bogut would have made the huge difference that everyone thinks.

He is an upgrade on our current stars but not by THAT much.
Baynes is a very nice player, and Maric is a beast (shame that he isn't fully recovered).

I mean Bogut wouldn't be crazy effective..There is some very good defensive big men in their pool ..Ibaka/Gasol from Spain, Nene/Varejao/Splitter from Brazil, Kaun and Mozgov from Russia.

If anything they would cancel each other out, and the Boomers would still have to rely on Mills and the like to nail shots (which is not what you want if your a Boomer fan)

So you're right Isaac, the problems revolve around Mill's decision making, and ultimately the lack of motion on the offensive end. When the Boomers did get it in the post, there was no weak side cutting, screening etc. stagnant.

Reply #373020 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

I agree PC should've seen a few minutes but I'm not suprised that he hasn't. After all he's the last guy on the list and I don't know how many teams are playing that deep, win/lose or draw.

BUT I reckon Brown has good reason for having faith that PC's more credentialed teammates should be good enough and experienced enough to play through a rough patch and shoot themselves back into form. At least it shows the likes of Mills, Ingles and Delly that their coach believes they can get the job done instead of benching them after a few bricks, which might make them gunshy in future games (when they MUST produce).

If that was the thinking behind keeping others on in front of PC, it turned out to be a gamble that Brown lost (along with the first 2 games).

I'm hopeful that now he's given the "big names" the chance to get their shit together and they haven't done it, if the dodgy 3-point shooting continues he'll be more likely to give PC a shot (or 5) and if any of the starters crack the sads, Brown has a growing set of stats that justify his decision.

Just my opinion but I don't think he's a bad coach so I'm giving Brown the benefit of the doubt.
What do you think?

Reply #373023 | Report this post

Hook Shot  
Years ago

Shouldn't be there that's why!

Reply #373024 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

So Hook Shot, who would you have put in instead?

Thought he was the most deadly shooter in the NBL.

Loved his defence

Great selection IMO.
Who did you want to make it?

Reply #373026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with Macdub, Bogut wouldn't have too much of a difference. At best he's only around Marc Gasol's level although Bogut's never been an NBA all-star.

Spain took the foot off the throttle when they got up by 20+ in the 3rd quarter and didn't even play Navarro.

Reply #373030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12th man. Any team that goes 12 deep isn't going far(bar the USA).

This isn't domestic where everyone gets a fair shake, regardless of the score.

I'd rather have our players in a slump play through that slump in a blowout and find some confidence late in a blowout game, and bring it to the next game. In this case: China.

Reply #373032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Gaze PC should definately had a run in the 3rd when the boomers were down 20+. The starters had their chance, time to try something else why not PC.brown was being stubborn, every other team at the olympics is using their full team, which is necessary for the boomers given they looked tired in the 3rd from their great D in the 1st half, bringing on extra legs would be wise.

Can someone tell Barlow that he is 6'9" not 4'9", why would he settle for ugly midrange J on a fast break when he could penetrate try and dunk and draw the foul. Be aggressive and use your length ffs

Reply #373047 | Report this post

Jim Bert  
Years ago

Who the fuck is PC?

Reply #373052 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

It doesn't suprise me that in a tournament the last guy on the bench doesn't get a run.... My personal frustration was when Ricky Grace didnt get a lot of time in Sydney in place of the defensively & offensively inclusive Heal.

Having said that, I agree that pc should've been tried by now.

If Brown isn't going to use the guys at the end of the bench, then I agree with Bogut that they may as well take some young guys to gain Olympic experience so they're not like Deer in headlights in 2016.

Reply #373090 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

ps. just re-read the post... I meant to indicate frustration at Heal getting so much time in Sydney when Ricky Grace was on the bench.. sure Heal was the more credentialed player, but Ricky Grace was far better at playmaking, defence (too many times the C & PF had to cover for his lapses) & Grace had a known winner's mentality.

Reply #373091 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I actually don't think PC should be last man on the roster. This shooting 'slump' we're in is actually more of a fixture with current personnel. I think our need for good shooting is so desperate that PC should start at SG or be 1st guard off the bench. Mills would be better coming off the bench IMO.

Reply #373096 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

With respect to the comments about teams not playing 12 deep at the Olympics, so far only 4 teams have NOT used all 12 players, across their 2 games. They're Argentina, Nigeria, Tunisia and Australia. There are 4 players in total who have yet to hit the court during a game - Crawford (Australia), Ibekwe (Nigeria), Gaddour (Tunisia) an Mata (Argentina). Although, Leiva of Argentina has only seen 26 seconds of court time.

There are 6 other players who didn't play their country's first game and then played in the second game. Most of those got more than 10 minutes on court in teh second game, one got 6 minutes, one got 3 minutes and Leiva was the other.

From this, I reckon most teams are aiming to play 12 deep - perhaps not in each game but across their tournament.

Reply #373105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think youre pretty spot on there Beantown, maybe not first guard off the bench but certainly in the rotation.

Reply #373106 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754