George
Years ago

Nigeria - USA Game Proves FIBA Rigged QT

Nigeria is a freaking joke, They should never ever be at the Olympics. They only made it because the refs in the qualification tournament were clearly helping them extremely hard in every game and trying to make sure they won.

For example, they beat both Greece (the real one, not the junior one that came to Melbourne) and Lithuania at the QR tournament.

The reffing was ridiculous, especially in the game against Greece, where it was about 80-20 at least lopsided, and the last 2-3 minutes were beyond absurd, with insane call after call.

The refs basically rigged that tournament for Nigeria.

Then we see them in the Olympics with fair refs - barely beat Tunisia, got blown out by the same Lithuania they beat at QR tournament (due to the refs helping them), became the easiest opponent ever of the USA.........

Honestly, I went back and watched that Greece - Nigeria game on Youtube and it was abundantly clear that the refs fixed the game.

Evidently, FIBA wanted to have an all black African team at the tournament for marketing reasons, since Angola did not make it. So they had the refs rig the QR tournament to get Nigeria in.

Watching that Greece - Nigeria game, I don't think Nigeria could beat Greece more than 1 time out of 100 with fair refs.

So unfortunately, this is what we got. FIBA rigged it so Nigeria got in, and because of that, we get to watch them lose by 83 points.

Personally, it is pretty clear to me that FIBA is a trash organization and needs to be disbanded. Because stuff like this happening is just pathetic.

At least Greece would have made it a 10-20 point game against the USA. Something needs to be done about FIBA, because we can't keep having these joke tournaments.

This whole Olympics so far has been a total joke as far as the level of the basketball tournament goes.

Topic #28945 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This may well be a new contender for stupidest thread ever.

Reply #373496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another harddone Greek, are we ?

Reply #373499 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

This may well be a new contender for stupidest thread ever.

You made the thread stupid because any time you post you lower everyone's IQ by about 50 points.

Reply #373501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for your insightful comments George. Intelligence like yours is wasted on a basketball forum.

Does Mummy know you're playing with the Internet again?

Reply #373504 | Report this post

El Diablo  
Years ago

Maybe the Nigerians pay their taxes? LOL

Reply #373507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^lol

Reply #373510 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I knew a Prince from Nigeria, he promised me a trunk of money

Reply #373517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watched almost all of the qualifying round tournament on FIBA pass. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Greece vs. Nigeria and Macedonia vs. Dominican Republic games were rigged.

It was two of the most obvious and blatant match fixes I have ever seen. It would actually be interesting to get to the bottom of it, as to why FIBA did it.

Reply #373534 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So, there's a 1% chance in your opinion that Nigeria could beat Greece. And it happened. So that must mean a rigged competition! Very funny.

And it's all to get an African team, but wait - Tunisia!

So, black Africans, but wait - USA! Shame about Kevin Love...

So, an all black, African team. Very likely!

Anon '534 has same IP as OP... No surprise there.

Reply #373542 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Please don't antagonise along national lines. Just argue the point (or point and laugh politely).

Reply #373547 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Some facts about that "80-20" reffing for Nigeria against Greece:

- Greece shot 28 free throws to 20
- Nigeria were called for 24 fouls to Greece's 19
- The refs helped Nigeria pull in 17 offensive boards to 6

Yep, definitely sounds rigged.

Reply #373559 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW, the reason Nigeria is so bad at the Olympics is they only had the money to get together three days before the Olympics.

Where other teams had spent a month together and played multiple practice games in the two weeks before the tournament, the game against Tunisia was Nigeria's first game in over three weeks.

Leading into the OQT, Nigeria had spent more than two weeks together with lead-up games in China, the USA and Brazil - hence the good form they carried into Caracas.

Reply #373562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, stop being so sensible. You're not supposed to talk reason while George is busy being ridiculous.

Reply #373563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/nigerias-performance-olympics-proof-fiba-rigged-olympic-qt

could these be from the same person i wonder...

Reply #373565 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I apologise. Carry on, George.

Reply #373570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nigeria had three games against a BBL/London select team in Lambeth - South London in the week leading up to the olympics.. Won each by about 20, so not sure where the 3 days gaff came from!!

Reply #373571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The three days thing is a pretty lame excuse for Nigeria embarrassing themselves in this tournament but for the OP to say the refs rigged the qualifying tournament they played just before this is ridiculous.

Reply #373576 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Having three days and some scrimmages against woeful opposition after three weeks off is horrible preparation to play the USA.

How do you think the Boomers would have gone against Spain with that prep? We were bad enough after four lead-up games against Spain, Brazil and France.

Reply #373578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, that tournament was rigged. Anyone saying otherwise is a liar. The FIBA website was being flooded with so many complaints that they actually had to permanently remove the comments section from it.

That would never happen if they didn't rig those games. They didn't even have to shut down the comments section after the Serbia - Turkey game in 2010.

So that right there tells you how outrageous the reffing was.

Reply #373582 | Report this post

parody  
Years ago

Greece were terrible in that tournament, relied on reffing to beat puerto Rico and only got close to Nigeria because the refs gave them a million free throws in the first half, especially the koala spanoulis, and they still couldn't hold onto the lead despite all that help.

Reply #373601 | Report this post

g  
Years ago

Ppl on this forum are narrow minded!!! Same thing like i said ages ago if yugoslavia was one. They will give it to the usa!!! The refs are not like in the nba were u get looked after!! As a pro bball player u should be able to hit a shot most times!!! As usa have done they have gone to every power house country!!! Fucked up the lives ove millions just so they can be the best at they do!!!

Reply #373607 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

This reminds me of another topic over on Nbadraft.net made yesterday

http://nbadraft.net/forum/nigerias-performance-olympics-proof-fiba-rigged-olympic-qt

Made by the internets biggest troll 'europeanballer', coincidence?

Reply #373631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's look at some of the results with and without the QRT refs.

This summer's games,

Greece beat Russia 66 - 63

Greece beat Lithuania 82 -70

Lithuania beat Nigeria 72 - 53

USA beat Lithuania 99 - 94

Russia beat Spain 77 - 74

USA beat Nigeria 156 - 73

Those are all results of games played this summer without the refs that were at OQT.

I think it is pretty obvious that there is something extremely strange about what happened at the OQT.

It's amazing that Greece could easily beat Lithuania (who lost by 5 to USA) and Russia, who also beat Spain, but they could not somehow beat Nigeria, which is an embarrassment so far at the Olympics.

Either Nigeria beating Greece is the greatest upset in the history of international basketball, or the refs rigged the game.

Reply #373708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greece were terrible in that tournament, relied on reffing to beat puerto Rico and only got close to Nigeria because the refs gave them a million free throws in the first half, especially the koala spanoulis, and they still couldn't hold onto the lead despite all that help.

-----------------------------------

Greece 98 - Puerto Rico 84

It's really strange for someone to claim a 14 point game was decided by the refs. You clearly have an agenda.

Reply #373709 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

ITT: Mad Greeks

Reply #373846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I looked back at results from this summer.........

Greece 66 - Russia 63

Greece 82 - Lithuania 70

Then how Nigeria beat Lithuania at the qualifiers, where a lot of teams filed complaints about the refs - and then Nigeria got blown out by Lithuania at the Olympics.

Lithuania only lost to USA by 5, and Russia has already beaten Spain.

Obviously, Greece has an extremely good team if they were able to beat both Russia and Lithuania, and Nigeria is either the worst or second worst team at the Olympics. I think the worst actually, as I think Tunisia would beat them 2 out of 3.

So there certainly is something very fishy about that Greece and Nigeria game. If we are to take it as fair reffing, then it's without a doubt the biggest upset ever for FIBA senior men's basketball.

But even if you go to the Euroleague's website they said that the game was very controversial, due to the refs. So, I think it's quite rude and ignorant to bash people for wondering and being suspicious about the game.

If we are taking it as fact that the refs were fair, it was for example a much bigger upset than it would be if Australia beats the USA in the quarterfinals.

So anyone saying there is no reason to have suspicions about the game is at the very least ignorant, and is actually more likely biased or has some sort of anti Greek agenda.

To anyone with any brains at all, that game is very suspect.

Reply #373877 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not really that complex. Nigeria are playing horribly at the moment, not a shadow of their OQT form. To me their preparation has a lot to do with it, they aren't fit and sharp after weeks off.

I was court side for Greece v Nigeria and my assessment on the night was Greece got the better of the refereeing, which is backed up by the stats (Nigeria called for eight more fouls). The Greek coach spent the entire press conference blaming the refs in a vain attempt to save his job.

Two nights before that they beat Lizthuania despite being called for four more fouls. In those games they had a combined offensive rebounding advantage of 28-9 and shot 32 more field goals, that was the decisive area in two close games.

Reply #373884 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Hahahaha yep with a name like George, he's clearly a pissed off Greek. What an embarrassing post.

Reply #373887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not really that complex. Nigeria are playing horribly at the moment, not a shadow of their OQT form. To me their preparation has a lot to do with it, they aren't fit and sharp after weeks off.

I was court side for Greece v Nigeria and my assessment on the night was Greece got the better of the refereeing, which is backed up by the stats (Nigeria called for eight more fouls). The Greek coach spent the entire press conference blaming the refs in a vain attempt to save his job.

Two nights before that they beat Lizthuania despite being called for four more fouls. In those games they had a combined offensive rebounding advantage of 28-9 and shot 32 more field goals, that was the decisive area in two close games.

-----------------------------------------------

I was present at the game, and without any doubt Greece was robbed by the refs.

Reply #374424 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Thanks George.

Reply #374429 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

The Greeks and their excuses. They cannot accept that a Black African team outplayed and, yes, OUTSMARTED their precious Greek team when it counted most. Bottom line: The Nigerians slam dunked the Greeks, game over, the Nigerians deserved this win, now go home and lick your wounds, you pathetic losers.

Reply #644141 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:50 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754