LC
Years ago

London 2012: Boomers vs Great Britain

Boomers take on GB tomorrow morning in a make or break game for both teams - lose and face Olympic elimination.

We have to play smarter and make own shots...an early good lead can shut the home crowd down and hopefully see a Boomers win.

Topic #28955 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What time is this game on TV*

*hypothetically

Reply #373641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not 'til 2am or somewhere around there

Reply #373643 | Report this post

Kings  
Years ago

4.30am Adelaide time.

Reply #373645 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Thanks kings. At that time channel 9 may show the whole game

Reply #373647 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If we play well we'll win this. Must pressure their guards and not let GB's 'big three' get good touches. Hopefully the refs let us beat Deng up like Brazil did.

Reply #373649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't GB only lose to Spain by 1point? Given the Beating Spain gave the boomers, the boomers will probably struggle to win this, and will lose if they can't shoot efficiently and at a high percentage

Reply #373650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if patty has read Daniel Eades article?i doubt it would make him think twice anyway, just hope he plays smarter, is aggressive but takes the opportunities when they are there, tries to get teammates Involved,and hits the open shots

Reply #373651 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

at that time 9 may show no coverage at all.

wouldnt want to mess with someones fantastic opportunity to buy some shit.

Reply #373656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sportsbet paying $5.00 if Patty shoots 50% with more than 3 assists. Even im not that silly...

Reply #373661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not a horrible bet hes overdue for a good game and not sure how good GB's guards are but i'd still never take it

Reply #373669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More than 3 assists? Did you watch the last game?
He is playing for himself and not for whats on the front of
his jersey.

Reply #373673 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Russia beat Spain in a thriller, so if Brazil beats China tonight as expected the best we can do is fourth. So now it just comes down to this game, win or go home.

I am confident we are a better team than GB in a head-to-head match-up though, even if their performances have been a little better than ours to date.

Reply #373674 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I was meant to be there. so disappointed.

Reply #373677 | Report this post

watch  
Years ago

current Arg v Spain 1/4 final with the winner to play USA. One side of the draw really loaded up.

Russia now got the easy quarter final game, looks like they are thru to semis, not bad for a team who had to go through qualifiers.

Reply #373681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone got a stream for usa lithuania?

Reply #373693 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

usa vs lithuania looks really good doesnt it.

we could learn alot from watching them. they are not going to compete with usa's athletes but the lithuanians are playing the game smart. if you use the ball well and make the most of your possessions on offense you put pressure on the other team to score down the other end.

for all their athletic ability we are not running the 100m sprint out there. beat them at basketball, plain and simple. skills and smarts.

Reply #373699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone got a link??

Reply #373706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/133733/1/watch-olympic:-great-britain-vs-australia.html

Reply #373716 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

I'm not sure an NBA coach, much less an NBA assistant, is suitable for the international game unless you're a team full of NBA athletes

Reply #373717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

playing pathetically. Maric is useless top euro center my ass I have seen nothing of the sort.

Reply #373718 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hasn't been Maric's tournament, that's for sure. Baynes has been better than expected finishing with dunks and cleaning up a bit.

We'll need to seriously pick up the pace to win this one.

Reply #373719 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

We trail 36 to 46 at half time...

Our defense has been letting us down in this game s far which has been disappointing.

Reply #373720 | Report this post

Deios58  
Years ago

This is embarrassing.

Reply #373721 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Horrible start to 3rd quarter...Giving up an offensive board and score, turnover, missed layup...we just look so disorganised, rushed and without direction right now

Reply #373722 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Delly with two triples as we went on a 9-0 run...

Reply #373723 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

C'mon!

Reply #373724 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow = back to a 3 point game!!! Delly and Mills filling it up from downtown! 14-2 run in the last 2 minutes...

Come on Boomers!

Reply #373725 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Nice sun by the boys

Reply #373726 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow...our transition is killing GB right now and Patty is stepping up.

All tied up on a Mills 3-point play = 53-all.

Reply #373727 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Mills bringing it! Seems to have improved his body control a lot

Reply #373728 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Need to keep that pressure up. We usually have a crap 3 qtr, need to turn that around to make som noise in these games, oh nice pass by Ingles & the Patty finish

Reply #373729 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

17-2 run?

Reply #373730 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

WTF? How can the refs take the FT's away from us???? Mills went to take FT's that Nielsen should have as the refs had no clue and then GB informed the refs and tghey took the shots away from us??? That's wrong!

Reply #373731 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Lol @ the refs decision on that play phase

Reply #373732 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

The refs fuck up & take it out on us, never seen a decision like that

Reply #373733 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

While Im a huge Delly fan I hate how streaky he is lol.. he's either dead on or misses everything, looks like he's just dead on tonight :p

Reply #373734 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Our half court offense is horrible still

Reply #373735 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Delly and Mills have all 22 Australian points in the 3rd quarter so far!

Baynes picks up his 4th is not good for us...

Reply #373736 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Mills getting it done on the "British" college player

Reply #373737 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Newley has been so valuable, even without outside shots dropping

Reply #373738 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Up 64-57 now! We have turned it right around...GB led by 15 early in the 3rd!

Reply #373739 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

I agree Casey they were make up free throws

Reply #373740 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Now up 9, and we are on a 30-6 run!

Reply #373741 | Report this post

Wound  
Years ago

Why was Patty stripped of those free throws earlier in the quarter? I don't get it!

Reply #373742 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

30-14 run by Australia has the Boomers leading 66-60 at 3 quarter time!

GB hit a tough triple at the buzzer to arrest their slump.

It was Australia's best scoring quarter of the tournament to date but after 2 minutes we looked like going down as we trailed by 15!

Reply #373743 | Report this post

JIMYYCONSEP  
Years ago

Go You good thing. Baynes is NBA type. BANGGER

Reply #373744 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That was amazing. I cant remember ever seeing a bigger 8-minute turnaround in international basketball! Delly and Mills on fire.

The story was our defence though, how many scores did we get from our pressure? Hopefully we dont go inside our shells now we are in front, we need to play to win, not save the game.

Reply #373745 | Report this post

JIMYYCONSEP  
Years ago

i love this boomer shit

Reply #373746 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Our best qtr of the tournament. Great stuff.

Reply #373747 | Report this post

JIMYYCONSEP  
Years ago

WOWWWWWWWW

Reply #373748 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Mmmiiillllllsss!!!!!!!!!

Reply #373749 | Report this post

JIMYYCONSEP  
Years ago

PATTY

Reply #373750 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Solid defensive effort is creating some great opportunities at the other end. Brilliant turn around. Mills is doing very well - topping 30 points now.

Reply #373751 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great start to the 4th! Andersen with a lovely turnaround J followed by a Mills triple! We now lead hy 11.

Reply #373752 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Mills has 32 points on very good shooting!

First time an Aussie has hit 30 points in an Olympics game since Shane Heal against New Zaaland many moons ago...

Reply #373753 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Awesome D continues as Mills nails another basket!

Reply #373754 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

And I was gonna go back to bed at 1/2 time...

Reply #373755 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

This is ridiculous.

Reply #373756 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

13-0 run to start the final quarter by the Boomers! Mills continues to fill it up and now GB are getting ugly...

Reply #373757 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

43-9 run now! The difference in individual class is obvious now the pace has picked up.

Reply #373758 | Report this post

Fletch  
Years ago

Channel 9 is a peice of shit and can go to hell

Reply #373759 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Mills is unconscious!

We just don;t look like missing right now for the first time in ths tournament!

Mills sits dow with 39 points and 14/22 from the field and 5/7 from downtown.

Reply #373761 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Maybe not Melo efficient but Patty put in some work

Reply #373762 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Channel 9 still haven't gone to the basketball, preferring to chat and do some updates. Is it too paranoid to suggest they don't want to promote a game whose domestic league is broadcast by a competitor?

Oh and is that a olympic scoring record by Mills?

Reply #373763 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's the high score at this games now for Mills, topping Melo's 37. Hits the bench with 39. Wow.

Reply #373764 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I can't believe we now led by 31!

We trailed by 15 less than 2 minutes into the 3rd quarter!!!

Grat defensive second half which has sparked our transition game which has destroyed GB. Paul you are right on the mark...

Reply #373765 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

59-13!!!!!! The whole team is in the collective groove. Great feeling when it's all flowing like that.

Reply #373766 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Gibbo!!!

Reply #373767 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah LC, amazing it took us so long to pile on the pressure but my god it was worth the wait!!!

Reply #373768 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

All our shots falling now...

As Gaze said - "When it rains it pours!"

Reply #373769 | Report this post

JIMYYCONSEP  
Years ago

Did anyone see that coming?

Reply #373770 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wow - 70-24 in the last 18 minutes! Unbelievable. And geez Im glad, because my faith in aussie basketball was being severely tested at 36-51.

Reply #373771 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mills has 39, the highest individual score since a 42-point outing from Oscar Schmidt. Yet, Channel 9 haven't shown a second of the game that I've seen. Couldn't have snuck away just briefly?

Not the highest individual Australian tally I don't think, but very timely.

46 point turnaround on the back of an anon claiming the scoreline was embarrassing. Then everyone came to the party.

Hopefully they carry that shooting form through to the next game because we could do with another win to try and avoid the US for a bit longer.

Reply #373772 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

This is downright freaky.. I know we needed to work on our outside game but this is ridiculous!! :)

Reply #373773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow...

Reply #373774 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

70-29 second half by the Boomers, including 40 points in the last quarter, saw us crack the 100 point mark to win by 31.

We had 11 players score with only Barlow missing out on the party.

Delly and Mills sparked us in the 3rd as we cranked up our D.

We shot 57% from the field and 54% from downtown!

We now can only finish 4th and we will likely match up with USA in the crossover due to Russia's amazing win over Spain after trailing 22-2 in the first quarter!

Reply #373775 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

One of the more amazing games I've seen.

The offensive production goes without saying but Joe Ingles D on Deng has to be commended. I think he does a lot of things at NBA level. Perhaps everything except create his own shot.

Reply #373776 | Report this post

Wound  
Years ago

Did channel 9 show any of that?

Reply #373777 | Report this post

Fletch  
Years ago

It's a joke ch 9 are showing replays, interviews and updates anything to not show the ball. Am thinking about boycotting ch 9 after these Olympics or when I leave the hole that is my isa

Reply #373778 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Damn Russia

Reply #373779 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

If I'm not mistaken, C9 did not show a single minute...they prefer interviews and highlights over live action unless it is swimming, rowing, has something to do with horses or now athletics...

Reply #373780 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Off topic, it's pouring outside The Boomers made it rain here as well

Reply #373781 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

"Patty Mills earned right to make shots" - Brown

http://projectspurs.com/2012-articles/august/spurs-brett-brown-patty-mills-earned-right-to-make-shots.html

Reply #373782 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Something contagious was rampant within the Boomers squad in that second half...3 point shooting!!! Let's hope the second half symptoms persist against Russia and then a likely team USA...

Reply #373783 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fletch, problem with that boycot is that I already want to boycot Ch 10 for pushing some gender-bias bullshit like whatever that men-planning-weddings show they have planned is. And Ch 7 have their share of trash. Pushed further into the SBS and ABC corner.

Can't we avoid the US? Oh, I see - losing team still gets a point and we lose any head-to-head with Spain or Brazil?

Reply #373784 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Only way to avoid US would be for Argentina to beat them. And if they're in that kind of form then I don't like our chances vs them either!

At the end of the day, it may not have always been pretty, but we've beaten the teams we should beat & haven't been disgraced in the other games. Just a shame we couldn't have snuck the Brazil game & had a punchers chance in a QF.

Hopefully we finish our pool games with a good showing vs Russia. Our best will be competitive, though the Russians have played great so far.

Reply #373785 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Im pretty sure Patty taking 20+ shots isnt in our best interests against any team with decent guard talent. Gaze used to average about 12, Parker averages 14, Penney 14 - I think it's lazy coaching by Brown.

It was great tonight, but riding the hot streaks of an inconsistent player is not a recipe for success in international basketball. We need to find ways to use his talent to open up the rest of our offence.

Reply #373786 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

Lithuania just showed it again tonight how to play against NBA all stars. Why can't the Boomers do it.

Honestly, i dont worry Russia at all. I leave it to the coaching staff and just enjoy the game

Reply #373787 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Boomers def GB 106-75 Box Score

We held Deng to 9 points on 3/15 shooting.

Mills line...39pts (14/22 FG, 5/7 3PT, 6/6 FT), 5reb, 2ass, 1st, 4to in 30min

Andersen had 13pts (6/11 FG, 1/2 3PT), 5reb, 1blk

Ingles had 11pts (5/12, 1/5 3PT), 2reb, 4ass, 1st, 1to

Baynes had 10pts (5/6 FG), 4reb, 1to but sat plenty in second half on 4 fouls.

Dellavedova had 9pts (3/6 FG, 3/5 3PT), 3reb, 3ass, 3to

Reply #373788 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Obviously Mills was something else, but I really like Newley's stat line: 8 points, 4/4 from the line, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals

Reply #373789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maric has proven to be useless this olympics.we play far better without him, just isnt agile enough to keep up with most the big men we play against. Id love to see argentina beat USA and for us to matych up against argentina but I dont think its liekly. i dont think argentina is in the medal hunt at all.. one thing lith game showed us is that USA are definitely mortal// I think however our style will play into there hands, we like to get up and down the court, so do they yet there just alot better at it. It would be a miracle to win but I just hope for a respectable scoreline which for me would be under 20

Reply #373790 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

2 blocks as well. Such a shame he cant shoot anymore, he would just be something else.

Reply #373791 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW, assuming France beats Nigeria, Argentina would have to beat the USA by 18 (if maths correct) to move to first place - unlikely.

Reply #373792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia needs to study the Lith/USA game and see what it was that gave the lithuanias a good crack at it.

Reply #373798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't be bothered looking up the article but if the wrong player takes the free throws and it is discovered (Patty had just (debatable) released shot 1) all free throws are cancelled and the opposition gets the ball from the side. The Boomers tried to pull as swift and got caught.

Reply #373799 | Report this post

Jim Bert  
Years ago

Hey guys I made a post about on the WWOS facebook page regarding their lack of live coverage of the Boomers in this game.

Like my post and let's see if it can go viral to bring attention to this matter.

Here is the link : http://www.facebook.com/wideworldofsports/posts/454808141216334

Reply #373800 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Maric is rubbish. Thankfully Baynes has been solid and aggressive and so has Andersen on offense although his D and rebounding could be better.

Have to thank foxtel for their coverage it has been great. Channel 9 coverage has been terrible, as it has for every olympics i can remember.

Reply #373806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The media's response has been predictable in celebrating Patty Mills (it was a terrific effort from him) and ignoring everyone else and ignoring his first few very poor games esp. the opener against Brazil.

Joe Ingles looked the better of Luol Deng in this game.

Reply #373807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Article 44 mills took shots that neilson should have taken. Shots get cancelled as the team has been considered to have cheated by placing a better free throw shooter to the line.

Reply #373809 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

ch 9 are an embarrassment. they showed "highlights" starting from the second half that went for about 3 mins at most. was pretty much a sports tonight clip.

ok, so maybe when you had one station we could understand you wouldnt run a full bball game as you would lose a fair amount of viewers, but now you have 3 stations, and 2 are showing identical olympic coverage (wtf is the point of that?) you can run the long form sports ie bball, volleyball, hockey on one while you cut from swimming events etc like you do on the other. hell, you could easily delay those games like 30 mins to fit them in without to much criticism, it would be a viable and successful option.

why the frak dont they do that??

they just dont give a shit.

Reply #373812 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Would be nice to save a game like this and use it against a strong USA team. We'd almost have a shot then! Glad Patty had a strong outing, people were starting to hate on him, now they will be jumping on his bandwagon! Also another solid effort by Anderson.
Great effort by the team, love Gaze commentating these games!
Can actually justify the amount of money dished out on Foxtel every month by the Olympics coverage alone!

Reply #373813 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Where are all of the patty haters now???
He takes shots because that's what he is told to do.
Patty's role at the olympics isnt to be a pg it's to play at the 2.

Reply #373817 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Wow, I thought everyone hated Mills, things change quick here!

Isaac, Aussie highest is 48 by Eddie P vs Mexico in 1976.

Really wish Newley was back here in Adelaide, looked real good. Top 10 in blocks for the tournament.

Reply #373819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where can i find a replay or highlights of this game?

Reply #373823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This reminds me of the 2008 team that thrashed lithuania by 37... seems to me that we get it together mid way through the tournament and today is our 'breaking through' moment. If we could playu whole games as we did the second half of that game we could take it to anyone... maybe that was the epiphany game for us. Maybe we can take russia? shit on an effort like that we could even compete with the US... we reversed a 15 point margin and turned it into a 3 pooint lead in 3 minutes! the tournaments not over by a long shot... and we have to back ourselves to take it right to every team.

Reply #373824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

people dont hate patty. they say when he plays bad AND when he plays well..doesnt mean they love or hate him

Reply #373826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ what this guy said
And if we beat Russia is there any chance of us being able to sneak into 3rd if Brazil or Spain lose or has that already been locked up

Reply #373827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there highlights of this game anywhere on the web? Channel 9 not helpful in this regard, obviously

Reply #373830 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DB5, I knew who had the highest Australian score but couldn't remember how to spell his name off the top of my head!

Reply #373850 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Boomers unlucky not to finish higher in their pool. Luck of the draw from the qualifiers (We could have got Nigeria or even Lithuania)as it turns out will be the biggest factor between us finishing 4th in the pool, which IMO will be seen as a par performance, and 3rd which would be looked upon as a good effort. Get the luck with Nigeria in our pool and it almost certainly would have given us a shot at France/Russia/Argentina in the crossover.

Reply #373855 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

haha, neither could I hence the Eddie P. Haha.

Also didnt Heal have a huge game for the Boomers with about 10 3's??

Reply #373860 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

We all knew Mills was capable of this. I've been waiting for his breakout, explosive game. Unfortunately, for every stunning game he has like this one, he has plenty of 7/20 type games with some trigger-happy rubbish thrown in too.

I expected Mills to have stronger tournament. His form did fall away in the later pre-Olympic games, so I suppose we had warning that his form wasn't so great. I expected him to produce more in the previous games. It just took his 4th game to pull out something good, and it was damn good. Hopefully he can carry this shooting form through to the next two games, not only his trigger-happy form.

Reply #373872 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Thought Werner was our best shooter .
Later , I saw Palubinskas .

Reply #373878 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Two of the keys to this win that not many people have mentioned were Delly's shooting at the start of the 3rd quarter. Three 3-pointers set the tone and gave us some momentum to get the offence going. Also, we kept Deng scoreless in the second half, and amazing defensive effort!

I note the comments above about Newley. His all-round play has been brilliant, and as another posted note he is top-10 in blocks for the tournament. Given his recent three-point shooting woes, I felt so sorry for him when he finally made one, but stepped out of court in the process so the basket didn't count!

Reply #373972 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Delly's threes stopped the rot, and the defence turned the game. It was nice to see us really put some trademark Aussie ball pressure on and expose GB's vulnerable backcourt, who wouldnt start on any NBL team.

That pressure (and GB hitting the O-boards too hard on bad shots) really uncorked Mills in the open court where he is one of the best in the world.

I feel sorry for Deng, it is so hard for him to be effective with so little talent feeding him. Look at his games against good teams the past two years:

v Lith - 8/22
v Turk - 6/16
v Spain 4/12
v Russ - 8/27
v Braz - 3/13
v Aus - 3/15

The only time he got off was late in the game against Spain a few nights ago when he finished 10/20 after being 6/15. Not surprisingly that was the closest they have got to beating a good team.

Reply #373977 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754