Anonymous
Years ago

Russia v France - Tankonia?

did russia stand to gain from losing to france? as in - finishing 3rd to avoid the usa until the final? can australia now finish 3rd by losing to canada?

Topic #28969 | Report this topic

watch  
Years ago

i think if we lost by 4 we would drop to 3rd in pool.
if we lost by 6 would drop to 4th in pool.

So it would be tight to lose by 4 points.

Reply #373919 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

No. They had everything to gain by winning to finish 1st in the pool but nothing to gain by tanking. They just played poorly.

Reply #373958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pretty sure you're wrong

Reply #373969 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Pretty sure he's right. You get a far easier run by finishing top.

Reply #373970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well obviously they're better off finishing top - but that was beyond them after losing to australia

Reply #373979 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, had they won by more than four they would have taken first place.

Reply #373983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was that taking into account the australia canada result?

Reply #373996 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep. Had Russia won they, Aus and France would have all been 4-1 and it would have been decided on points differential %.

Reply #374000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well that's different then of course - russia would ahve assumed australia would have beat canada by more than they did so assumed first was out of the question... naturally once france was in top spot australia had no incentive to win by a lot hence played non-regulards like hodges and mccleod (who btw looked better than harrower - as has richards of course)

Reply #374001 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Australia's margin over Canada was/is completely irrelevant

Reply #374004 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

How much Australia beat Canada by was irrelevant, it would have been points between Russia, France and Aus, so Russia knew if they won by more than 4 they were top.

Re Australia, they had huge incentive to win because if they lost by more than five they would have finished fourth and played the USA in the QFs.

Reply #374005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so it was point differential on head to heads?

Reply #374024 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, calculated as a percentage of their total points scored in those head to heads, if that makes sense.

Reply #374025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so the points differentials listed in the standings are completley irrelevant?

Reply #374029 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Almost, silly isnt it? I think that is only used if head-to-head is the same and points differential within the head-to-head is the same.

Reply #374033 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

From what I understand, the overall points differential only comes into play if teams play each other more than once in pool play (I'm not sure if which tournaments this happens? Perhaps paul would know?).

ie. if teams play each other twice, and split the results one win each, and happen to score exactly the same points as each other during those two games, meaning their goal average would be 1, then overall point differential comes into play.

But in the Olympics, when teams only play each other once in pool play, it doesn't come into play, except to classify teams 9-12.

Confused yet?

Reply #374050 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it can come into play in three-way ties at the Olympics where both the head-to-head criteria are even.

Reply #374057 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

paul, it can, but even then it is only the points scored in the games between those three teams that is taken into consideration, not the points from all games.

Reply #374066 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, if both head-to-head criterion (win-loss and points differential) are equal then I believe it goes to overall points differential.

Reply #374067 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

But how can that occur if teams only play each other once?

Reply #374078 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Hang on, I think I understand what you're saying Paul. In the event of a three-way tie, if the teams all have 1-1 records against each other, and their goal difference from their games against each other are the same, then overall points differential from ALL pool games comes into play.

Reply #374079 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, that's how I think it works! I dont remember it ever having to go that far though.

Reply #374080 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Correct Vart. 2 way tie goes to the winner head to head if an odd number of head to head games are played. If an even number of head to heads are split or if there is a 3 way tie it goes on point differential between the teams involved only. If there is still a tie it goes as this example.
Let's say Opals lose against France by 1, France lose to Russia by 1 and Opals beat Russia by 1 then they are in a 3 way tie with equal ptsdifferentiall. It would then go to overall for and against. This is always the way it has been in basketball AFAIK. What throws people off is that until the pool or comp is finished team are ranked when equal on points by total pts differentialbecausee all head to head options may not yet be complete.

Reply #374082 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Nice explanation fstos. That final part you mentioned is what was confusing me the other day with the mens pool A, where Argentina are ranked ahead of France, even though Argentina lost to France. But after completion of pool play, if they still have identical records, France will move ahead of Argentina in the final rankings.

Reply #374083 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Vart.Can you now explain this the Ch 9. Just watching the highlights package and Mark Nicholas(? the Pom) just did the intro to the game.

"the Opals need to win against Canada and have Russia defeat France to avoid the USA in the semis".

Reply #374088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

case doesn't seem to understand the seeding either when he said that arg need to flog usa after the latter beat nigeria by 83..

Reply #374300 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:56 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754