LC
Years ago

London 2012: Boomers vs Russia

Boomers take on Russia tonight in a game that is really for pride only as quarter final positions are set.

I hope the Boomers keep the roll going and therefore into the USA game as well!

Game is at 6:00pm AEST (5:30pm in Adelaide).

Topic #28977 | Report this topic

sitiveni  
Years ago

i agree. would like to see them play with confidence and keep their momentum. i guess playing the US, they would try to keep the final margin within 20. that would be a huge success i reckon. not holding my breath though as the US can blow a game out from 1 to 20 in 2 minutes.

Reply #374021 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Yep the BA preview on their website is wrong as it states we can still finish 3rd.

Article here explaining the possibilities:

http://london2012.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/12/olym/news/p/nid/53219/article.html

Reply #374022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rest Patty and 1 or 2 others.

No need to risk injury in a meaningless game.

Reply #374036 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would be surprised if that happened, with so little chance against the USA I dont think you pass up your last chance for a victory - Olympic wins are nothing to be sneezed at.

The Boomers are also 0-5 against quality opponents in Brett Brown's two major tournaments, so I imagine he will need this win to make a claim for keeping the job (assuming he wants it).

Reply #374040 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Avv - according to that FIBA article 'USA will top Group A unless they lose to Argentina by 17 points or more, in which case the South Americans finish top'.

That should be prefaced by also mentioning that should Nigeria upset France, then Argentina only have to beat the USA, regardless of margin, to finish on top.

Reply #374047 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

patty will go for 40 or more tonight go pat

Reply #374060 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

I'd assume that Australia will play pretty hard to try to notch up a (moral) victory and, as has been stated here already, ride a wave of form into a likely USA matchup.
I'm very interested to see how Russia approach this one. Probably resting a few horses to be fresh for their crossover game against the much deeper Group A opponent (Lithuania aren't catching anyone by surprise now).

Result: I'll tip the Boomers by not much and the Russians to care even less.

Reply #374076 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Any links to live feed for this game

Reply #374084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Benno: 40 shots?

Reply #374090 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

This site is usually the best.

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/134188/1/watch-olympic:-australia-vs-russia.html

Reply #374092 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I suspect 9 may show a fair bit of this as there's not a lot else on at this hour.

Reply #374093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers vs Russia live on Ch 9

Reply #374100 | Report this post

Fletch  
Years ago

They better they were showing the women's France vs Russia game on a similar time yesterday.

Reply #374101 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

Ohhhh! Patty block bwahaha!

Reply #374102 | Report this post

Fletch  
Years ago

Damn I wish I wasn't working. Is there a live box score link?

Reply #374103 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

From what I could see Anderson and Ingles are shooting pretty well in the first 5mins and they are not subbed out yet.

Reply #374104 | Report this post

The TRuth  
Years ago

Maric sucks! How was this guy a Euro League All Star 5 player only 2 year ago. Looks slow, unathletic and just out of his depth. Surely taking a gamble on Jawaii being engaged mentally would have been a better option than him....

Reply #374105 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Fun game! Its like a 9am all star game.

Reply #374106 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Can't trust Channel 9, they'll switch to another event right when the game is close!!
Need to play solid D tonight..none of this jumping crap.

Reply #374107 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

Delly to Baynes should be our "go to" play if we're in a "last shot" situation. BOOM!

Reply #374108 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Love that Delly to Baynes combo!

Reply #374109 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

BOOOOOOOOM!
If Tyson Chandler wears one of those Oops on his head I'm making my own medals and giving them to Delly and Baynes

Reply #374110 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fletch, there are live stats on the Olympic site.

Reply #374111 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Move over Gaze to Copeland, Payton to Kemp, Nash to Stoudemire...

Delly to Baynes is where it's at. How many times have they pulled that alley off!

Delly enormously impressive - got a great stroke from three as well.

Reply #374112 | Report this post

Fletch  
Years ago

Cheers for that Isaac

Reply #374113 | Report this post

Cali  
Years ago

channel 9 finally show more than 2 mins in a row

Reply #374114 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Nielson is a ridiculously shit player.

Reply #374115 | Report this post

Cali  
Years ago

ahahahahahahah, Russian coaches wearing Jeans!!!! hahahaa

Reply #374116 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

Nielson has been a lynchpin of the Boomers for years and provides invaluable leadership on this team.

Reply #374117 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

What a crap foul!! Why????

Reply #374118 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Faked the &hit out of him!!

Reply #374120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What the hell is Gaze on about?

Reply #374121 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Harry Balls, I'm talking about what he produces on-court and at the current time. He was good, he is beyond shit now (for this level anyway).

Reply #374122 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Interesting foul shot....we should foul him more often and send him to the line!!!!!

Reply #374123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers up 46-45 at the half.

Reply #374124 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I love these games with little riding on them, you really get to see the skills of the players.

Nice to see us being so aggressive at both ends, that's how we should play. It was the same in Beijing, took us thrashing a shite opponent to discover our own style suits us best!

Reply #374125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills is a turnover machine! Such an unusual team to support, they do so many things nicely and do so many things so poorly.

Reply #374126 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

In South Australia Channel 9 went to news at 6pm but the game stayed with Channel 90 .
Good coaching from Brown to leave the better players on for longer . Graf has made me a nervous wreck .
I know Clarke's subs are preplanned but might be learning here.
Delly pretty good out there .

Reply #374128 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Cali, David Blatt might be wearing jeans and his fashion sense might be terrible..

But he is one of the best coaches in the world.
Makes Brown look second rate.

Reply #374129 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

Probably not the thread to put this on but...I just read this:

"In order for the Boomers to avoid the USA in the first round of the finals, this is what needs to happen:

Tonight,

AUS V RUS - Australia wins by 1*

ESP v BRA – Spain defeats Brazil by 12*

*For every point Australia wins by, Spain can win by one less point.

By Brazil losing to Spain and Australia defeating Russia, Australia becomes tied for 3rd with Brazil with a 3-2 record. Points for and Points against will determine who finishes in 3rd and 4th. By Brazil losing by a minimum of 12 and Australia winning by a minimum of 1 (if Brazil lose by the minimum), Australia will finish 3rd"

Is that right? Could this match actually mean something to us but nothing to Russia?

Reply #374130 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Its not correct. Head to head is the first tie breaker. Australia, if they win, finish 3-2. Either Spain or Brazil will finish 3-2 but both beat Australia in their single game and will be ahead of AUS as a result of that.

Reply #374131 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

That's what I thought. Got excited and clung to false hope for a sec there.

Reply #374132 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

Anyone have any other links or feeds.......as thefirstrow is down for me?

Reply #374133 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Why do we continue to try and double team leaving wide open 3 point shooters??
Agree with you Camel, Graf is killing me with her substitutions.

Reply #374134 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Jingles!!!

Reply #374137 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Firstrowsports is down for me too...desprately searching for another link as C9 is now sowing heats fo 100m womens' hurdle that do not feature any Aussie just yet...

Boomers playing fantastic basketball...I think if we continue to play this way we need ot expect a turnover or two but it is just so refreshing to watch!

Delly has been great and is forming an amazing tandem with Baynes - back to back alley oops in the first were great to watch...

Reply #374138 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

Great commentary Drewy.
"Mills has the ultimate shooter's mentality, he could be 1-for-his-whole-life and he still believes he'll make the next one"

Reply #374139 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

One of the commentators on an Al Jazeera stream just said Wortho is over 6'10"
"

Reply #374140 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

69-64 at 3qtr time...still playing very well.

Interesting to see we ended the third with 4 guards/swingmen on court with Nielsen our sole big.

Reply #374142 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

On other thread LC
http://www.hahasport.com/v-4/2/134/v-433525.html

Reply #374144 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Can Anderson actually jump?

Reply #374146 | Report this post

Jr_Sr  
Years ago

WOW the Russian Coach!!!!!

Reply #374147 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Batt takes no shit

Reply #374148 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

Boys gone a little cold from the outside......but owning the glass.

Reply #374150 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Thanks...I'm on it...

We have missed a couple we should have made and our offence appears to be tightening up here down the stretch

Reply #374151 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Haven't hit much this quarter....please oh please one shot to drop!!

Reply #374154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills, gotta take the good with the bad,

absolutely no need to take a rushed 3 in the clutch when they were up by 1....

Reply #374155 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

So angry right now, we cannot hit the three, just can't do it. In fact can't hit anything.....useless on offense.

Reply #374156 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

c'mon Delly to Baynes
are they even both on?!

Reply #374157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CLUTCH

Reply #374158 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Mills at the buzzer with a 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to win!

Reply #374159 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

HOLY SWEET PATTY!!!!

Reply #374160 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

OH MY!

Reply #374161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

here we go boomers with it 4 secs left one down

MILLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ON THE BUZZERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #374162 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Millllllllllls!

Reply #374163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

correction to my last post..... he is brilliant!!! haha

Reply #374164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKK YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #374165 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Pppppppppppppaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttttttttt ttttttttttttttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllsssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #374166 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wow! I had just said after 6 straight misses they should go to Mills because he was due! RAINBOW!

Reply #374168 | Report this post

adam  
Years ago

I should have waited a minute or so before I posted that last post by me....good(ish) win in the end (shooting the three still a concern).

Reply #374169 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Flashbacks from the Atlanta Qtr Final...

Reply #374170 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Nine are taking the piss surely? They spent the last 20 minutes at the track for a whole 13 seconds of actual action instead of showing that ending!

Reply #374171 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

We did really well on the O boards! Come on Argentina!!!!

Reply #374172 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

PAAAAAAAATTTTTTYYYYYY

Reply #374174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Channel 9 could've grown basketball in Australia significantly if they'd shown that. Maybe even advanced the reconciliation movement somewhat. Stupid channel 9. Go boomers.

Reply #374175 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Love how Channel 9 have just gone back to show the last minute of the Boomers game! Kind of after the fact...

Reply #374176 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow - we win by 2 thanks to a Patty Mills buzzer-beating three at the death!

Final score is 82-80.

What a game! That final quarter got a bit messy by both teams down the stretch but I think that was the players getting tired due to the punishing pace and physicality of the game.

Ingles top scored for us with 20 points on 8/11 shooting (2/5 3PT, 2/2 FT) alongside 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal and 1 turnover.

Andersen had 13 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal and 3 turnovers.

Mills had 13 points on 5/16 shooting (3/10 3PT) to go with 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal and 4 turnovers.

Newley was great with 9 points on 3/5 shooting (1/1 3PT, 2/2 FT) to go with 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and 1 turnover.

Delly was again effective, scoring 10 points on 2/6 shooting (2/5 3PT, 4/4 FT) to go with 6 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 steal and 2 turnovers.

Love it - Go Boomers!

Reply #374177 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, Newley was fantastic. He, Ingles and Delly were the stars. The best bit though was the way everyone played with confidence. That's the first time Ive seen that under Brown. All of a sudden Maric hits a couple of shots and Nielsen becomes a threat. If only we'd been doing that since 2010!!

Reply #374178 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

We did really well on the O boards! Come on Argentina!!!!

Bit of a double edged sword, if Argentina beat the US by 17 then we get the honor of playing a fired up Argentina who just beat the US by 17.

Reply #374180 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great setup with the in-bounds and pass back. Carry the form through to the US!

Reply #374181 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Boomers vs Russia Box Score!

Still pumped after that win!!!

I know the game had little bearing on who finished where, but it was a win against one of the best teams in this Olympic competition and we led for more than 90% of the game!

Reply #374183 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Can someone tell me whether it is head to head in the event of a tie or is it points differential?

Reply #374185 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

WOWWWWWWWWWWWW

Reply #374187 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A game against the the USA is not all that bad if you look at it from another perspective...you could argue it launched Mills' career and held weight in getting him an NBA gig.

A good showing by Delly, Andersen, Baynes, Maric, Ingles and even Newley could do their NBA aspirations no harm...

Now just imagine, for one moment, what a win against USA would do for Australina basketball????

Reply #374188 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

OK, Ill imagine it, but only for a minute!!

Reply #374190 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Even though he ain't like he used to be , a bitta Nielsen's experience helped us there.

Reply #374191 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, lotsa contributors tonight all playing with confidence, made up for Andersen and Mills going 10/34, especially with our offensive rebounding.

Reply #374192 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

The control from Ingles on that last play was impressive. I was like screaming for him to do something but it was a great setup from Brown and finish from Patty (who missed a bit of gimmy when we were up by four to secure the W) You get the feeling he relishes those last second shots.

Go Boomers but deja vu from Beijing it seems!!!

Reply #374193 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

Did anyone else do anything embarassing when the game winner dropped?

I screamed "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" which scared the crap out of my sleeping dog.
Then burst into fits of girlish giggles.
Then ran down the hall to get my wife to show her the replay and nearly killed myself slipping over in socks on the tile floor.

Reply #374194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i missed it...i cant believe i missed it...dinner at my sisters house wtf...

Reply #374195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats Boomers controlled for most of the game 80% but yeah heart stopping action, I ripped with a BOOOOOOYEEEEAHHH lol on the pc and kids watching t.v were spooked haha

Reply #374196 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aww , a loud how could you miss that groan from the crowd when he missed a wide open set shot just before three quarter time , then he puts one like that in .

Reply #374199 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Awesome job by the Boomers. Maric has been useless all tournament, yes tonight he had 6pts but otherwise slow, no hustle, very stagnant not a great defender and one dimensional on offence.

Agree LC re: the Boomers v USA. I guess its not the Olympics if Australia doesn't get to play the USA.

Although, if we finished 3rd I do think the Boomers had a real chance against France or Argentina, but not to be.

Reply #374201 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

Is it fair to say that Joe Ingles did a great job on AK47?

Reply #374203 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No. But it is definitely fair to say he did a great job overall, super game and as someone above said we shouldnt forget his perfect pass at the end.

Reply #374207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe Ingles has to be playing himself into NBA consideration you would think. He is scoring well, demonstrating great court vision and in the past two games he has shut down Luol Deng and Kirilenko. He doesn't have an NBA body, but his length, height and high basketball I.Q. makes up for that IMO. I can imagine another good performance against the US might just get him a call up. Fingers crossed.

Reply #374209 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think, firstly, this should give him confidence to really press for more minutes at Barcelona.

Reply #374210 | Report this post

LisaG  
Years ago

Just a newbie question....If Australia loses to the US, does that mean that we can still possibly play for a Bronze?

Reply #374213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even though there is a big chance we might get smashed in the QF by the US or even Argentina, there will still be a lot of positives for the Boomers moving forward.

Our younger brigade have been performing at a very high level at these olympics. Mills, Ingles, Newley, Baynes and Delly have all shown they have what it takes to compete at the international level at a high standard. Ingles, Newley and Delly have been especially good on the defensive end.

The older, European based players like Nielson and Maric have probably been the weak links. If players like Daniel Johnson, Baynes, Motum and even Jawai keep improving, and you integrate some younger scoring talent in Exum and Simmons (possibly Creek), I think we could have a very competitive team in the years to come.

Reply #374214 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

LisaG: no we can't.

Our game against the USA will be the last 8 teams. All the losers from that round are out of the tournament. All 4 winners advance, and they will play 2 more games. (A semi final, and either the gold/silver game or the bronze medal playoff)

Reply #374215 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Don't forget we may get Bogut back for the next WC or in 4 years in Brazil. The future of the wings and guards looks fine. Need some of the younger bigs to develop.

Reply #374218 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

remember guys that this is Olympics that even Team USA has something to worry(when we think they're not) because of the nature of the game in a very short tournament.

reading from the news today after the scaring game against Lithuania, there seems to be a blame game inside the team apparently for lacking of communication between players.

and if we take what had Coach Brown said that "players never lost belief". and that will be the backbone of the team, its the spirit

Reply #374221 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Great job guys, Ingles shutting down Kirilenko was a joy to watch! GREAT FKN GAME!!!!!!!

Reply #374222 | Report this post

JimmyC  
Years ago

That shoved it up all the haterz. esp all the trolls over the last week and a bit. Patty is a undersized shooting guard. Joe Ingles has similar attributes to Magic Johnson. 6'9 swingman/point guard What a gun. Who ever says he doesn't have a NBA body is a dumb c**t. Newly is a defensive menace and can run the lanes with the best of em. Anderson deserves another crack at the NBA Stretch four with nice touch. And DELLY dang NBA here we come. Fu** i love the Boomers. Ch9 is a absolute joke of a station. and so are the Refs. Seriously. WTF

Time to watch Breaking BAd

Reply #374223 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree fstos, 2014 and 2016 are our best window.

We need to make sure whoever is coaching has them playing tonight's aggressive style from day dot, and have a better offensive system that doesnt rely on three players to take all the shots - tonight our two lowest % shooters took almost half our shots.

I think we also need to get Nathan Jawai and Luke Nevill fully integrated into the program, and I would like Steve Markovic and Aaron Bruce to at least get a look in, a player off the bench who can create like Delly would be very handy.

Jawai can give us an offensive x-factor inside, and Nevill can give us a legitimate centre who can guard on-balls and hit jumpers consistently, which we desperately need when Andersen is off the court or off his shot.

Reply #374224 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Just frustrated we dropped that game to Brazil. Damn it!

Great gutsy win boys.

Reply #374225 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

Watched the last play to get Patty free for the three a few times. It was beautifully executed by all 5 players. Congrats to Brett Brown for this one.

Reply #374226 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Regarding Ingles and the NBA, Kirilenko doesn't have an NBA body either.

Also who do you think we will match up on Lebron?

Reply #374228 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Re Kirilenko's body, appearances can be deceptive, he is a far superior athlete to Ingles. If Joe had the NBA body he would prob have had a look in. He doesnt so he will 1) have to really prove himself and 2) improve his body!!

Reply #374229 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Everyone should bait the Team USA players on Twitter.

Reply #374233 | Report this post

jacob  
Years ago

Who cares who we play next. I love watching international basketball, especially the Boomers. It's a great change to watching the NBA. Playing basketball as it should be played instead of just isolation.
For the Boomers to even have a chance they pretty much have to play perfect and stick to there man as there were a lot of players open for Russia. If only we had Bogut because inside we don't look as athletic. Oh well, maybe we could attack them with a barrage of three's as everyone seems to be shooting well lately.

Reply #374234 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Agree Jacob, there has been some high quality basketball at this olympics, international B'ball is very good to watch even without the blake griffin dunks (although i would still like to see that) Lithuania vs France the other day was testament to that. 1 on 1 or isolation basketball gets boring quickly, seeing great basketball going through several sets of hands on offense and being creative like Spain is an entertaining affair to watch (to quote John Casey).

Reply #374243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with you guys. I always love watching the big international tournaments like the Olympics or WC's. Pure basketball. The Boomers playing well, although about to come to an end, is purely a bonus.

Reply #374253 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

i dont worry match up on Lebron unless FIBA will impose an ala NBA 3 second defensive rule on the game day. we are in Olympics

Reply #374256 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Agree - much rather watch team ball than iso plays.

Reply #374258 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Re what u did after the shot went in.

Smashed my hand on the table (watching online) screamed out fuck yeah!

Then had to apologise to kids and get the silent treatment fro the wife!

Still though FUCK YEAH!!!!

Not recalling us beating Russia in a major tourny before?

Vaguely recall us beating them in the late 80's in Sydney when they brought a very good team and Keogh got Marcioulonis smashed the night before???

Reply #374259 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

We beat them 95-80 in Beijing and 75-71 in Sydney.

Reply #374262 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Good call above paul about our next window of 2014 WC and 2016 OG. I think it's definitely exciting times ahead.

BA should give Brett Brown and four year extension right now. I've never seen an Australian team defend and compete like these guys have. Yes, they've had some offensive struggles, but they can be overcome with more work and an injection of fresh talent. Bogut and Jawai can definitely provide us with the low-post presence we've lacked this games, and they are both a significant upgrade over Maric, who for mine has been our most dissapointing player (I don't like to criticise the guys, but there's no point hiding from it either). You mentioned Markovic and Bruce as well. I think had Brett Brown forseen Delly moving into the starting line-up, he probably would have liked to have another pure point guard to bring off the bench. For all of Brett's great coaching, I thought we've struggled when Delly has gone to the bench and we've shifted Patty to the one spot. If you want Patty to play shooting guard, then play him there exclusively, don't make him chop and change it seems to have taken him out of his rhythm at times. And don't forget about the next generation, Exum and Simmons. Two years is a long time for these guys, and they could both be knocking on the door by the 2014 World Cup, and I would expect both guys to certainly be Olympians come 2016.

Reply #374268 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Until yesterday I would have said a new coach for sure. We actually played a promising style against Russia, but it wasnt a full-on game. I guess I am a little undecided but leaning towards Beveridge.

Whichever way, we need a coach who will have us playing with confidence all the time and not encouraging Mills to take 20 shots a game. Ride him when he is hot, go to something else when he is not.

Reply #374270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

from 2014.. to 2016 some good things are going to happen for us. Argentina is on its way towards dissappearing from the Basketball map once ginobli finally retires from international ball. Spain seems to be on a downwards slope.. and france will still be solid but I dont see parker playing on for long. Lithuaniahas struggled and we just beat russia. where does that leave us? it leaves us as the up and comming team that people need to look out for. Add simmons, Exum, maybe thon maker... keep Ingles, Mills, Delly, Newley, Wortho in my opinion... add bogut if hes ever healthy... shit, looks like a scary team to me! maybe Jawai if he ever gets his fitness right.. talk of guys like Khazzouh who may be around the mark then, Motum, Neville.. Id say we would be in medal conversations in 2016.. especially if Thon Maker does his thing. but we need him to hurry up and show his australian allegiance, get him into next years U/17 team or something...

Reply #374278 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Unsung hero of the Mills game-winner for mine (besides Mills, obviously, and Ingles for the pass) was Dellavedova for the awesome moving pick to get Mills open. It gets better with repeated viewing.

Reply #374280 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Good call Bo - that was a man-size screen by Delly. That kid never takes a backward step, I love it!

paul, why do you think Beveridge would be an upgrade over Brown? From the outside looking in, they both appear to be heavily focused towards the defensive end of the floor, and making sure their teams are in peak physical shape to be able to run and compete for the full 40 minutes. Perhaps Beveridge is the ideal guy to take over should Brown not want the job, but I wouldn't neccessarily be looking to replace Brown with Beveridge.

Reply #374282 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I'd like to see Baynes in there over the next 4 years - he's had a good tournament.

Reply #374294 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Vart, I think Beveridge gets his team to play to their preferred style very consistently, he has coached many of the players in our top 20, and his team's have better offensive flow than Brown. His reactionary type offence is run successfully on the international stage and is very hard to guard, especially with the amount of ball movement Beveridge insists on.

Reply #374323 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Fair enough paul. I'll have to take your word on it. Perhaps he may be able to join the panel as an assistant to help out with the offensive side of things?

Reply #374324 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754