Years ago

Greatest Olympic moments for Australian basketball?

These Olympics providing 3 of our best ever moments. snells3 pattys 3 with the w and slambage. how do they rate to other classics ? no doubt the opals silver medals and years ago the boomers had an upset win .

Topic #28983 | Report this topic

Avv  
Years ago

Tony Ronaldson's 4-point play in the 96 olympics to win against a highly favoured Croatian team is right up the top of Australian all time great moments.

It allowed us to play off for bronze even though we came up short on that...

Reply #374299 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

Remember that one. I was travelling in the car and listening to ABC Radio. Peter Walsh was doing the commentary and I was screaming at him to actually explain what was happening. As is normal for him he is short on detail and long on excitement.

Reply #374304 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Tony Ronaldson's amazing 4-point play to beat a talent-laden Croatia in '96! Still gives me goosebumps when I see it...

Reply #374314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ronaldson for sure over Croatia

Reply #374316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leroy Loggins playing for Australia in 1992.

Reply #374325 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

Top 5 Boomers Olympic Moments

1) Drewy 2000 makes it 5 Olympics in a row as a Boomer

2) Bear in 96 vs Croatia

3) Slambage

4) Snell miracle for OT

5) Patty 3 - 4 the win

Reply #374326 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Lauren Jackson ripping off Leslie's hair extensions in 2000

Reply #374329 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Not quite sticking to the topic but ...

I reckon it was pretty bl..dy good for us to finish 4th in 3 of the last 7 Olympics ('88, '96, '00).

Reply #374332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The biggest problem with this is that because of the Olympic ban on vision being used anywhere else, we'll probably never see them again, and what is worse is that we won't be able to use it to advertise!

Reply #374337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does a man get to see that T R shot vs Croatia again, cannot find it on You Tube ?

Reply #374364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure I read here that someone has it on DVD?
maybe do a search and see what comes up..

Would love to see that game again, remember watching it!

Reply #374366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The world champs are a much better basketball tourney.

The olympics doesn't allow for enough euro teams, that's why the aussies are able to finish 4th at so many olympics

Reply #374380 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

From a Boomers perspective, the three quarter final wins were huge, and the wins over Spain in 00, Russia in 08 and GB this year with our backs to the wall were very enjoyable. For the Opals obviously the first medal and the silver medal.

In terms of moments:

1 Ronaldson's four point play v Croatia

2 Daylight then Snell's shot

3 Opals OT win over Russia in the 96 QFs

4 Andrew Gaze's 27 points at 70% to carry us past Italy in the 00 QFs

5 Bogut's dunk +1 v Russia in the do-or-die game in 2008 as we beat the Euro champs by 15

Reply #374386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Aaron Trahairs shot at the youth championships was up there too....even though not technically a Boomers game.

Reply #374395 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Palubinskas's shooting at Montreal '76 ( 31.3ppg )
Later , a 3 point line was introduced ( '84)

Reply #374405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typical Euro centric veiw, no respect for the Aussies. Well our Juniors just beat the 1st, 2nd 3rd & 4th teams in Europe, 1st in Africa, and Asia as well as 2nd & 3rd in the Americas.

Reply #374410 | Report this post

TBag  
Years ago

Tony Ronaldson 4 point play here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbcrLRHmcAg

Reply #374414 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

Booomers: Ronaldson in '96. Excellent as Patty's 3 pointer against Russia was, Ronaldson's shot meant more (took us into the Bronze medal game) and was a 4 point play (so extra credit for rarity factor).

For the Opals, Slambage has to rate very highly. This is no comment on whether there have been bigger overall *games*, but how many things can Australia say it has done first in Olympic basketball (men or women)?

Of course, if the Opals win gold this year that immediately becomes number 1 of all time, and someone will need to wheel Bob Hawke out to remark that "any boss who sacks anyone for not turning up to work today is a bum".

Reply #374422 | Report this post

Adam  
Years ago

I have a few that come to mind.....

1. Beating Puerto Rico by 40 points in Barcelona in our opening game.

2. Sam MacKinnon's Alley Oop over Dream team in a pre olympic game in 1996.

3. Andrew Vlahov and Karl Malone chesting up during the 1996 Olympic Semis.

4. Spiteful moment in pre olympic warmup vs USA in 2000, where Vince Carter stood over and berated a prone Andrew Gaze.

and yes I know a couple weren't in the Olympics.

Reply #374509 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

Another vote for Eddie Palubinskas in Montreal. 48 points vs Mexico in OT (pre 3-pt line). Highest points total in any Olympics prior to Oscar Schmidt (post 3-pt addition). Ian Davies also led Olympics in scoring. Andrew is the GOAT, but those two are the points GOATs.

Pre-Atlanta Olympics, Shane Heal against the Dream Team was pretty amazing too. One the greatest long-distance shooting exhibitions ever. 8-12 from long range, some just crazy-far, against hard defence.

Reply #816655 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754