Anonymous
Years ago

International teams we could beat consistently?

Yet again, we show that we as strong team as we would like, or we think worldwide (yes yes, trolling, and we do well for our size!). Although we all love hoops I really think we have to come to grips with the fact that we are basically a 15 - 20th strength team in the world, if that.

If we had to qualify through Europe we might not be at the Olympics, or if there was a competition such as the soccer world cup (I know FIBA are either looking at that or will do it soon) we would struggle to make the top 12.

If you look at the teams that are strongest in Europe we would not be able to consistently beat many of them at all and have shown that we struggle with the strongest South American teams as well.

So for the sake of argument below is a list of the top 20 international teams. My question is which of these teams could we beat 6 times out of 10, or in a best of 7 series. Assume all teams have all players available.

USA - no
Spain - no
Argentina - no, perhaps in 3 years
Greece - if they were not paying any attention
Lithuania - no
Turkey - wish I could say yes but I have my doubts
Italy - look at their roster NO
Serbia - no
China - yes
Russia - no
France - no
Brazil - no
Germany - dirk and kaman, no
Angola - yep
Puerto Rico - guards are way to good and they have size no
Slovenia - hopefully
New Zealand - yep
Croatia - gonna say yes but not super confidant
Nigeria - Id like ot think so so yep
Dominican Republic - yep

Topic #28984 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL> Argentina, id say yes... no bench depth what so ever. We have beaten Russia in each of our last 3 meets so thats a yes... Lithuania was lucky to even get 1 win in there group... Yes probably. We just beat france pre tournament so that has to be a 50/50... If you mean consistantly like every single game... then no.. but ikf you mean can we beat them.. we can beat all teams in that list outside of USA and even there not invincible in what I am watchjing in the argentina V USa game

Reply #374301 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

"a competition such as the soccer world cup"

Umm there already has been for years... Australia involved since 1970.. most recent was in 2010 and they came 10th.

Reply #374303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets Assume we had all players then and add in
Andrew Bogut and Kyrie Irving into the mix and i say we would be able to most of these teams

Reply #374308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

living under a rock much? Kyrie Irving has forgone his elligibility to play for us

Reply #374309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5-9 consistently.

All that's been 'bad' at this Olympics was the result vs. Brazil. Spain loss you can cop because Spain are outstanding. Win the Brazil game and we don't finish 4th and we have a legit shot at a medal, probably a Bronze...

Reply #374311 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

#374309 Lets say Ive been living under a rock (somehow i missed it), but how did Kyrie Irving forgo his eligibility to play for Australia? Did i miss something?

Reply #374312 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Did he forgo already or just decide that he was going to commit to the US for a chance to represent them next time around? Either way, not going to play for the Boomers.

Reply #374317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thread starter has clearly not watched these olympics, or any international basketball, maybe ever.

The funniest suggestion was probably Germany beating us, ever, let alone consistently, not to mention all the other teams that we have just beaten in the last couple of weeks.

If we add Bogut to the intensity of basketball we are playing right now, we are easily a top ten team worldwide, and you could just as soon make the case for top 5.

Reply #374327 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

if we'd beaten Brazil or Spain, we would be a medal chance. We went 1-2 against Russia, Spain, and Brazil, with only a -14 differential.

we're not for behind.

Reply #374347 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Irving I think was convinced he'd have a chance of making the 2016 Olympics by Coach K on the US team.. so he took himself out of consideration for the Boomers.

If it doesnt look like he'd make the team, he'll play for the Boomers.. simple as that, he hasnt ruled it out he's just hedging his bets and I don't blame him to be honest

Reply #374374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

guess its the difference for him between shot at gold or shot at bronze or perhaps even less... either way a rleal aussie would always suit up for the boomers, but then again when you live most your life in the US ofcourse thats where your allegiances lie. but fair call we should make a bid for him again in 2 years then 4 years and see what we can come up withj

Reply #374378 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Our ranking is 9, and in the past four major tournaments we have finished 9th, 9th, 7th, 10th and we will most likely finish 7th here. On average we finish ahead of two European teams.

In that time we have beaten Brazil, Lithuania, Germany and Russia from your list.

We have had close losses to the USA, Puerto Rico, Greece, Turkey, Argentina and Brazil.

We have been spanked by Lithuania, USA, Argentina, Croatia, Slovenia and Spain. Croatia and Slovenia should never spank us, they are at a similar level to us.

Reply #374379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well what will be interesting is whewre we will be when exum/simmons/maker come of age

Reply #374397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

USA - no
Spain - no
Argentina - no, perhaps in 3 years
Greece - if they were not paying any attention
Lithuania - no
Turkey - wish I could say yes but I have my doubts
Italy - look at their roster NO
Serbia - no
China - yes
Russia - no
France - no
Brazil - no
Germany - dirk and kaman, no
Angola - yep
Puerto Rico - guards are way to good and they have size no
Slovenia - hopefully
New Zealand - yep
Croatia - gonna say yes but not super confidant
Nigeria - Id like ot think so so yep
Dominican Republic - yep

-----------------------------------------

IMO Australia is better than,

Italy, China, Germany, Angola, Puerto Rico, New Zealand, Nigeria, Croatia, Dominican Republic.

But every other team you listed is better than Australia unfortunately.

Reply #374426 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Australia is clearly better than Italy, and I think we are similar to Brazil, Lithuania, Serbia, Slovenia and Turkey with Bogut in (and Argentina once these Olympics finish and their guns retire).

Reply #374430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually, if we are talking about after this summer, Australia should be better than Argentina.

Argentina does not have much of anything in good young players, although Campazzo is great.

If the older Argentine players all retire, as rumored, then I don't see them doing much anymore.

Reply #374446 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754