curtley
Years ago

Did Spain throw last game v Brazil

Should Spain be thrown out of tournament?

If they threw game to get the best result is that wrong?

Can it be proven? Did anyone watch the game?

http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/news-london-2012/tanking-questions-rear-their-head-again-as-spain-avoid-star-us-team-after-giving-up-10point-lead-20120807-23r9r.html

Topic #28988 | Report this topic

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

I didn't see the game, but smart play from Spain if they did.

Spain will play France in the Quarters and provided they win will face Russia again in the Semis..A difficult task but much less than if they finished 2nd in the Pool as Brazil will face Argentina in the Quarters and the winner of that will play USA in the semis.

Reply #374359 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Correction the winner of Brazil v Argentina will play the winner of Australia v USA in the semis. don't right them off yet (although i did without hesitation)

Reply #374360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It might be smart but the table tennis players were kicked out of the olympics for tanking so they get a better draw.

Reply #374369 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Would be quite nice to move up to a 3 seed, because they tossed Spain... I don't see it happening though.

Reply #374371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck proving it. Spain were ahead in the 4th, like many teams have been before in the game of basketball and lost. Probably did tank, but id say they masked it well. They didnt knock down the 2 3's Barbosa made did they?

Reply #374373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #374369 - badminton, not table tennis.

The other DQ for "tanking" was a runner who was in 800m and 1500m was initially DQ'd for not putting in a bona fide effort in his 800m heat. However, it turned out he had a knee problem, about which he had advised the LOCOG medico. He has subsequently been permitted to participate in the 1500m.

I'm not aware of any other athletes being thrown out of the games due to deliberately losing or fixing margins etc.

Reply #374387 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Curtley - first question - I prefer to think they didn't throw the game. However, they may not have minded losing it.

Second question - I'm sure all the people who had money on Spain to beat Brazil would say it was wrong. On the other hand, all the people who had money on Spain winning silver would say it was okay. Now, I wonder how many people associated with the Spanish team had money on them losing that game?

In effect, tanking is a form of match fixing. As soon as match fixing enters into a tournament like this, with gambling on outcomes such a prevalent part of contemporary sports, then the sport and the event are in trouble. The fixed result can not just be seen as about conspiring to avoid an unfavourable match-up in a later round. It has to be viewed through a lens of potential corruption.

For this reason, if no other, I have to say that conspiring to go into a game aiming to lose is wrong.

Reply #374393 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If anyone bet on Spain in this game they have more dollars than sense.

Reply #374396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes.

Reply #374427 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Badminton were thrown out because the badminton regulations have a specific rule outlawing 'tanking'. Obviously, without knowledge of the background, there must have been a good reason in the past for that rule to have been introduced by the relevant international federation.

Reply #374433 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

what were brazil paying?

Reply #374434 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Absolutely. Especially when you consider nene was out, and how vehemently they denied it straight after the fact, way too passionately.

But who knows whether it was a known entity or just a couple of players or what.

Reply #374437 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

i think the guy with the knee injury got gold in the 1500-the problem was lack of spacing between 800 and 1500 and his team forgot to withdraw him so i guess he had a short term injury

Reply #374479 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754