Isaac
Years ago

Basketball at the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games

Was just reading about this and found it all a bit amusing. At the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, the basketball competition was played outdoors on lawn tennis courts.

The weather ("driving rain") was abysmal in the gold medal game between the USA and Canada meaning that the "court" turned to mud and prevented players from dribbling. The final score was 19-8, favouring the USA while the leading individual scorer had only seven points.

There was no seating either so the 1,000 spectators all just stood there in the rain for the entire game.

Here's the full event page from Wikipedia.

Topic #28990 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Isaac I know where the ball from the Gold medal game is hidden.

10 years ago we had a Canadian exchange teacher come to our school. Her Father was a member of the 1936 team. One night at a dinner party her son a teenager at the time let out a family secret, when we were talking basketball (they followed the 6ers, when they were here). At the conclusion of the game most of the spectators ran onto the court and his grandfather just happen to be holding the ball at the final siren. His wife ran up to congratulate him and he placed the game ball up her dress (so she looked pregnant) to hide it and she ran away back into the crowd, and disappeared from the court.

They still have the ball hidden in the top of a wardrobe back in Canada. His mother and father both verified the story (as they were listening at the time) and described the ball as hand sewn with a section of lace up, like on a football where the bladder was inserted.

Strange but True.

Reply #374382 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I hope that's true!

Reply #374435 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Awesome if true.

Reply #374441 | Report this post

dumbo  
Years ago

The same conditions should be replicated each Olympic final as a tribute.

Reply #374489 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

I'm having flash backs to my brief experimentation with Korfball back in the early/mid 1990's.

Reply #374516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Similar to Hillcrest & Marion Stadiums!

Reply #374555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And having a scoreline similar to a sixers game

Reply #374611 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:54 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754