Anonymous
Years ago

London 2012: Boomers vs USA

On tomorrow morning at 6:45am I believe?

Here is a good preview

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1287268-usa-vs-australia-preview-analysis-and-predictions-for-olympic-quarterfinal

Topic #29001 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope we can take care of the ball tonight, if we can limit turnovers I can see us giving them a crack but the Boomers will have play out of their skin to get close in my opinion. If not USA by 17.

Here's hoping for a new greatest Olympic basketball moment with another win on the buzzer! Good Luck Boomers!

Reply #374549 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Foxtel says the Game will be televised from 7:05 am Thursday morning

Reply #374551 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

Oh boy imagine if we won, what would you do?

Reply #374554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lance, 6:35am Adelaide time but tipoff isn't until 6:45am Adelaide time.

Supposedly Channel 9 will be showing the game live too.

Reply #374557 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont know Benno, but man I would be higher than Nate Jawai's voice!

Reply #374558 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

If we win I expect this from Julia Gillard. "any employer or persons of influence that penalises a co worker or trusted member of their staff for not presenting themselves to their place of employ today should have the decision respected"

Reply #374559 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

I'd happily crack a beer for the boys even if its only 9.00am

Reply #374562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spoiler. Not yet.

Reply #374564 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

I will run naked through parliament house and moon the prime minister if Australia won. luckily for everyone Australia wont win, but i hope they play good tough basketball and make the US play hard for their win. i will be happy if we keep it within 20 points.

Reply #374565 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

if we win ill be laughing to the bank with my 26 to 1 odds thats what ill be doing!

Reply #374571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm betting this will go similar to most US games. Boomers can/probably will be respectable until the half (single digit difference), and then the US will absolutely romp it from there.40+ final score.

Reply #374572 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

not about points for me.

have to judge how well we play from watching the game and seeing how our team operates as a unit.

play 4 qtrs of strong team basketball that we can be proud of will be a huge confidence boost for the team going forward.

this game is a really good opportunity for us.

Reply #374575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Australia wins I'll propose to my sister naked at Xmas......... Again

Reply #374585 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I just hope the Boomers compete for 4 quarters, limit their mistakes and have a few highlights of their own.

Reply #374591 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Dare to Dream Boomers!

I won't be doing any work tomorrow if we win!

But in all seriousness, if we can take care of the ball and limit turnovers, that will minimise the fast break points USA live off in International competition.

Problem for us, to be competitive, we have to play a half court game and this is not one of our stengths. We will have to nail the three-ball if we are going to keep in touch.

I am desperately hoping we can pull off one of the greatest Olympic upsets off all time. My head tells me if we can keep this to loss less than 15, we have done remarkably well.

Go Boomers!

Reply #374595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we win. I will definitely cry.... definitely. But in all fairness, to keep the score under 20, play hard, play competitibve, get under our skin and make an impression is what i hope for... dont let them have it... fight tooth and nail and keep the scoreline respectable and I will be happy... sin gle figures would be magic. A win, and thats all I could ask for from this olympics, or any olympics, ever.... Id forgoe christmas and birthday presents for 10 years if that happens

Reply #374599 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #374600 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #374606 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Would be amazing if we won. Just think the second half will kill us, US have too many weapons. Everyone wants the US to lose in the Olympics and they know that, plus they are out to prove they are better than the 92 Dream team.
My pipe dream tells me we pull a major upset...but reality is if we can stay within 20 then we should all be satisfied!

Reply #374607 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

"Consistency" will be the key for the Boomers. anything less will be a defeat.

Maintain a gap or possibly make a safe score gap and finish them in the 4th quarter.

No I'm not dreaming, its about time.

Go Boomers!

Reply #374609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This better not be another game Patty jacks up 30 shots to make 5.I don't want to smash my TV in frustration (its a Bravia). Im okay if Australia are beaten but only if they are competitive and put together a great game of basketball, displaying their strengths and what we know they are capable of.

If Australia is down by more than 30 points at any stage, will PC get a run?

Reply #374615 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze on Twitter:

"Any boss who sacks anyone for turning up late for work on Thursday is a bum!! GO BOOMERS!!"

Reply #374617 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

Mills has to take more shots and hopefully will get his rhythm early in the game. Seems that is the game plan and will be needed more against USA.

Argentina could have won the game had they have a player like Mills who likes to score.

USA beat them by 126 points but the Argentines couldn't produce more than 97 points.

Reply #374618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stein doesn't give us a shot at all...

Reply #374619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills has to take more shots...

Worst comment ever?

Reply #374620 | Report this post

Glenn  
Years ago

None of the American journos know anything about us. All of the power rankings after group play and any article that has the potential to mention us in a good light just doesn't. I hope we can surprise them with how we play, I'd love to be as competitive as possible.

I'd love to win, and I really don't know what I would do if we do... I can't even begin to think of it.

Reply #374624 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

' Even the commentators need a ticket to get in.'
Gaze on Ch9 , just then . ' It's the hottest ticket at the Games. '
Seems the build up has begun already.

Reply #374629 | Report this post

smoovy  
Years ago

The line is US by 33 points.

I reckon that's about right.

US are $1.01, which is basically saying if this game was played 100 times, we would win once.

I reckon that the US are overs there. If I had a spare $1M i'd put it on them and you'd be a lock in for $10,000.

Reply #374632 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Russia Luthiania on TV now...Havent seen bugger all Australian games on 9..but russian and Luthiania they show...soooooo freaking useless they are.

Reply #374633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Japorms Argentina didn't lose because they couldn't score enough, 97 in interenational basketball is very respectful, its becuase in the 2nd half they turned the ball over to much and failed to defend well enough. allowing a USA team to score on 126 points is what lost them the game.

Reply #374634 | Report this post

PE Faculty meeting at my place around 9:30am if we win...

Not much chance unfortunately. Down by 20 will be respectable.

Reply #374637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

USA v Australia 2008 Beijing Warmup
Damn this was a good game for the boomers and without Bogut.

CJ is such an asset

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5zfDNT4A8Y

Reply #374638 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

' Ya won't hear anything from me if we win , I'll be running around and jumping all over the place . ' Gaze also told us on nine .

Reply #374639 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I predict we will keep it respectably close for 30 of the 40 minutes - and get blown out by 25-30 in two five minute blocks at some stage across the rest of the game.

Reply #374642 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

farken 5:15am in Malaysia :(

Reply #374643 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

hehe, dont hate for the things we dont understand. yes, Mills has to take more shots because the team lacks depth

Reply #374650 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

^ rubbish

Reply #374651 | Report this post

Brian  
Years ago

anyones got the link to the game? thanks in adv

Reply #374652 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

pretty decent 1st qtr.
Not finishing in close but keeping the US uncomfortable on both ends

Reply #374654 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Missed a lot of easy baskets

Reply #374655 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If we had only hit free throws and made some of those easy buckets inside!

Reply #374656 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Solid first qtr, but some easy layups and FT's would have us tied...

Reply #374657 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

Very whistle-happy refs will hurt us much more than them (yeah, I rate their bench a little higher than ours)

Reply #374660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disgusting call on Newley. Utter trash.

Reply #374661 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

super assist Delly

Reply #374662 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

"this opponent is too easy, we are going to make it a real challenge by missing every free throw we can and scoring the old fashioned way"

Reply #374663 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

There's 3 seconds to remember for Brad Newley, Burn Kobe then draw the and-1 on Durant

Reply #374664 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

Joey Ingles playing for an NBA opportunity

Reply #374665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, Ingles can make it... definitely looking the goods. As for the Boomers, leaving the three open a bit too much... and for crying out loud if ur next to the ring,, hit the shot. we can claw back into it.

Reply #374666 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

All we need is a 70pt 2nd half like we had against GB and we're in this thing :)

Reply #374667 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

We're having a good crack, but we're not strong enough on the defensive boards (Kevin Love esp is smashing us) and when Dellavedova goes off the floor our offence stagnates.

Reply #374668 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

That's how you start a 3rd qtr

Reply #374669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go Boomers! Have a crack!

Reply #374670 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

What a start to the 3rd! Go Boomers!

Reply #374671 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

C'mon Hey Zues just hand it to Kobe next time

Reply #374672 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

aaaaand... kobe

Reply #374673 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

know who else in enjoying this "close" game?

Argentina...and possibly Spain

Reply #374674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe seems like he doesnt perform too good having rice before games.....

Reply #374675 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

There it is!

Reply #374676 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Was surprised when Baynes wasnt getting much playing time this game in the first half... now I know why he wasnt :p

Reply #374677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously what are these refs showing. A foul implies contact. Just because of the reputation doesn't mean it should be reffed in a different manner.

It seems to happen at all levels so why am i not surprised

Reply #374678 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

I reckon Delly (despite his athletic limitations) has booked himself a spot in the 2013 NBA Draft from this tournament.

Reply #374679 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

Yeah, refs getting talked into a few calls by the US grunting and crying on any minor contact

Reply #374680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes has killed us. Gotta luv how he speaks to the ref. F#$%@ thats effin bullsh@t, the fu@#$# cr@p or words to that effect.

Reply #374681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs star struck

Reply #374682 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Harry Balls - that's how they are coached in the juniors to grunt and scream like a WTA player.

Just out of curiosity are Yanks as embarrassed by the "USA" chant as many Aussies are by the "Oi oi oi" chant?

Reply #374683 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

We get called for shit and they dont even call Lebron when he nearly shoves Delly off his feet from behind

Reply #374684 | Report this post

Gotta love Gaze's diplomacy. "The players have lost confidence in the ref's ability not to be intimidated by the reputations of Team USA. Not that i'm saying that the call was incorrect" Gaze continues to score!!

Reply #374685 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

David Stern's in the crowd, perhaps he had a meeting with the refs before the game. He's not the biggest fan of his "product" risking injury while he makes little/no money in the deal. His boys have played damn well but they've been looked after too.

Reply #374686 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

To be fair to Baynes, that kind of comment has been warranted most of the time when the whistle is blown.

Reply #374687 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Jus out of curiosity what happens for the 5th-8th place classifications. Do we still have some consolation games?

Reply #374688 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

These refs are just terrible!

Reply #374689 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

This just got ugly

Reply #374690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Johnny

Loser goes home, winner plays 2 more matches

Reply #374691 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

That's good to hear - the Boomers are starting to click.... We can finish up to 5th which would be cool given how they looked in the pool games.

Reply #374693 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Sorry misunderstood - so no classification matches? What they rank based on pool results? Bummer.

Reply #374694 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

This just drives home the point of winning early. We are a better team than Brazil, and we didn't show it on the day. We beat Brazil and we could realistically be playing for the Gold medal when all is said and done.

Also, a bit of a shame to let this one get blown out like this. Would have been able to hold our heads high with a less than 20 point margin.

Reply #374695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice rejection on the unibrow

Reply #374696 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Hate how they got rid of classification games. They can be close and still intense.

Reply #374697 | Report this post

nobrettno  
Years ago

That was awful coaching in the final minutes. Why not give guys like PC and Gibbo some court time... give them the thrill of lining up against some of the NBAs best players in the final game of the tournament. Definately need a change at the top in regards of coaching. You pick players on a team for a reason, from first picked til last. You dont pick them to fill space on the bench. Use them... or dont pick them!!

Reply #374698 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Might just be frustration talking but those USA supporters up the top seemed especially douchey. It was nice for Baynes to shut them up at the end with that block

Reply #374699 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

Nice job Boomers.
35 pretty good, solid minutes. 5mins where we dropped our heads and the US got crazy hot shooting the 3.

No Boomer was outclassed out there against the probable Gold medal winners.

Reply #374700 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

Welcome to the NBA Joseph Ingles

Reply #374701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matty Neilson retired from Boomers !!

Reply #374702 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Decent for 2.5-3 quarters before getting sloppy in the fourth. Went away from team play as Mills tried to do it all and the US capitalised. I don't know why Brown tolerates that when it's not working.

As Gaze said in the commentary, bit unfortunate to see a blow-out after a solid effort before that.

Ball needs to go through Delly and Ingles, as they are more measured heads with distributing.

Ingles with 19/8/6 in the full 40 minutes. Thought he was great. 6/10 FG.

Reply #374703 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Why do the boomers always start pool games so ice cold? Is it our prep? What is it?

Reply #374704 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

People need to stop bitching about the coaching sheesh, we have 1 fringe NBA player and for alot of the game we played it close.

I think he's done a good job with the talent he's had on hand, and if they had hit there shots a little better in the first two game's it might have been a different game today(you can't blame the coach when your players miss wide open shots)

Reply #374705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those American supporters were especially douchey

Reply #374706 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Anthony Davis looked like he wanted to get into it with Baynes after that last second block too... I wonder if Baynes said something... Some may disagree but i love the fact that Baynes is "full of piss and vinegar" - he will be a handy player for the boomers down the line i think...

Reply #374708 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Joe Ingles was out best player for the tourny. he has taken his game to another level. very good all round game. Patty has his time, Delly was good until a few TO's in the last 5 mins of the 4th, but a pretty good tourny for him too. Would be great if we could build the team around Bogut, Ingles and Mills. If only we played the last few games against spain and brazil, we may not have lost to either spain or brazil. Hopefully next tourny we can start stronger and avoid 4th place because we can certainly win a medal.

Reply #374709 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Our 'bigger' guys didnt give much at all throughout the tournament: Worthington, Baynes, Maric, Neilson. Ingles was incredible.

Reply #374711 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Had we hit out FTs at a better rate in the 1st half things may have turned out different. That put us in a small hole which just got more and more difficult as the pressure piled on. All in all i'm ok with this - but not the pool games and especially the Brazil game.

Reply #374712 | Report this post

Jim Bert  
Years ago

Up until the 4th quarter...everything went better than expected.

Reply #374713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Throw a healthy Bogut in that mix, geez couldve made things hat bit more interesting this Olympics. Wasnt meant to be. Boomers ended up impressing me after being laughable in first few games. If Mills doesnt pull up for that erratic shot 3 against Brazil, OR gets the clear intercept in the same game within the last minute, my my my what couldve been!

Reply #374714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep Joe Ingles is now our best player (apart from Bogut), i have no doubt he is good enough to play NBA, especially after what he did against the USA, and he is better than Mills who is in the NBA.

But whether he gets a NBA gig is a different story, i hope he does, but wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt, a bit like Gaze and Heal, would regularyly do well against team USA but never got a significant NBA gig due to lack of athleticism, etc. Coaches get rapped too much into athleticism imo, if a guy can drop 20 or close to on the best the USA has to offer he is atleast as good as a NBA 6th-8th man if not a starter, i always thought if given enough mins guys like Gaze, Penney could average 15-20pts in the NBA, the NBA teams are no where near as strong as the USA teams they drop 20 on.

Reply #374716 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Missed the last quarter and will watch on the PVR tonight.

Great effort up until 3qtr time...

Ingles CV was enhanced!

Reply #374718 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I'd actually prefer Ingles to get minutes for a Euroleague team than get little to no court time in the NBA. Although Ingles wallet may disagree with me.

Reply #374719 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Thats great rjd, thanks for letting us know. I wonder what Ingles would prefer for himself.

Reply #374720 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we have ever been that close to the US team with less than 5 mins to play.

I thought everyone was really up for this game. Just a pity we didn't have the belief to shoot this way against Brazil and Spain.

I think Ingles showed he is now our best player. Still needs more consistency, but is really starting to realise his potential.

Patty has some great skills, but we really need him to become a better facilitator. When Dellavedova goes to the bench, we just have noone to create for us.

Speaking of Delly, he played a very nice game apart from the last few mins where the haranguing pressure from Westbrook and Kobe finally caused him to make some mistakes. Definitely improved his chances of being drafted into the NBA next year and has really made a big difference to the Boomers offence.

I think we finally started to see what Andersen can do offensively in this tournament. He'll probably have one more crack in the 2014 Worlds but age will likely force him into a more limited role by the next Olympics.

Speaking of Nielsen, that was almost certainly his last Olympics. Has been a very good Boomer for a long time, so well done to the big fella!

Newley, whilst he hasn't become the player I hoped he would a few years ago, has played pretty well in a more limited role in this tournament. Love his defence, rebounding and ability to finish at the rim.

All in all I think we have shown some signs of progress since our last Olympics. If we can develop a few good talents like Exum, Simmons and Drmic over the next four years and bring a healthy Bogut on board I think we might be in the hunt for a medal in 2016.

Reply #374721 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"if a guy can drop 20 or close to on the best the USA has to offer he is atleast as good as a NBA 6th-8th man if not a starter"

While I agree with you that Gaze and Penney and perhaps Ingles soon, could be good players in the NBA, it would actually be more difficult to 'drop 20' against an NBA team because they scout your tendencies out much better. Team USA doesn't really worry too much about defence from what I've seen.

Reply #374724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not play pc and gibbo
Esp in that last 4 mins when the result was done

Reply #374725 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Beantown, I agree with most of your comments, except those about Patty. Until we can develop a go-to scorer that is more reliable than the 22ppg we got out of Patty, I think it's best to continue to play him exclusively as a shooting guard. Whilst I agree that the offence stagnated when Delly went to the bench, I think that had more to do with not having a reliable back-up point guard to replace Delly. This meant Patty was switching between the 1 and 2 spots, which hurt our offensive flow at times. I blame Brett Brown for this. Whilst I give BB a lot of credit for how hard our guys played, the physical shape they were in, and the defence we played, he took way too long to elevate Delly to the starting five. It was obvious from the very first quarter of the first game against the Greek team that when Delly was on, our offence flowed, and we he sat down things got stagnant. So I'm not entirely sure why it took until the very last warm-up game against France to start Delly. Had we done this earlier, it would have given Patty a lot more minutes at the two spot, and perhaps he doesn't shoot the ball cold as ice in that crucial first game against Brazil.

Reply #374726 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Great effort by the Boomers

Reply #374727 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'm really proud of the way this Boomers team has played, in terms of effort, toughness and tenacity, that has been missing for years.

I think we could all agree that this team, if there were playoffs for "consolation positions", could have well and truly finished fifth. Hopefully all our big guns are in for the worlds in 2014, and this form is carried over.

That Brazil games was it for us, though.

Reply #374728 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

after seeing the game in person all i can say is that ref with the grey hair should be dragged out the back and shot... i have never seen such one sided refereeing since well, the 2008 olympics... how is it USA gets in a little bit of trouble and all of a sudden a phantom foul...

the guys played great though until last 5 minutes... boards killed us though, we need to fix our big man issues on the glass, we shouldn't have our leading rebounders coming from the 1 and 2 man positions, if it wasn't for the rebounding we probably would have taken the lead a handful of times...

Reply #374729 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

A big question mark over this tournament for us was the disappearing act by Aleks Maric. What is going on there?

Reply #374730 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Good call Mick. Maric was by far our most disappointing player this tournament. He looked lost on offence, and didn't seem to give the effort required on the defensive end. He doesn't use his size to his advantage at all. If nothing else, at 7'0" and 125kgs he should at least be a dependable defensive rebounder.

If Bogut is healthy, Jawai commits to the program, and Baynes continues his development, there is no way Maric will play at the World Cup in 2014.

Reply #374733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Maric carrying an injury? He has been a tad under performing. He was a machine against New Zealand. I would have liked to see Jawai in the team. Soon, I hope.

Reply #374734 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Beantown, we were much closer with five minutes to play in 2004 and I think pretty similar in 1996 but that was a long time ago.

Today was our biggest loss to the USA in an Olympic competition, equal with 1964, which is a shame given the effort the guys put in and that great spurt at the start of the third quarter, which I thought might have been enough to stop it being a complete blowout.

Reply #374739 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Very poor effort from Brown coaching tonight

Bringing on Baynes but benching Delly doesn't make sense. Patty ran the point very poorly and resulted in ton of turnovers.
Benching Delly for so long in the first half???why.
Also a timeout should've been called in the last quarter before the US really good started on their points off turnovers. The USA is full of talent and EGO they rely on a 'run'. call a timeout, settle things down. yes australia would still have lost but the last 3.5 minutes was embarrassing especially considering the good effort the boomers put in to the previous 3 & 1/5 quarters Australia played, and the overall score doesn't reflect that.

Did Brown at all talk to his bigs about boxing out?

Reffing was disgraceful, all the US have to do is an obnoxious grunt and they go the free throw line.its funny that when the lanes closed up at International ball Lebron really hasn't been able to penetrate and miss his layups like he normally gets to do with Miami

Ingles again showed he is NBA ready, he shot 6/8 tonight, has shot well all tournament has made good decisions, passing well and penetrates well..has looked better than Patty.

this game would have been considerably closer and not out of reach with Bogut as an inside shot blocking presence and rebounder, as well as a very good back to the basket scorer and passer.

Reply #374745 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Like I've said before: I would really like to see the +/- numbers for player lineup combos on this Boomers team. Would be verrrry interesting.

Any know if such statistical data exists for Olympics games?

Reply #374748 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Australia played much better against Russia than they did against the USA. I needed to be Australia's best game to get close to the US but it certainly wasn't that.

Reply #374749 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Mick, Andrew Bogut has asked that very same question but no one seemed to be able to find it.

Someone asked Bogut who was Australia's best player via twitter. His reply:

Andrew Bogut ?@AndrewMBogut
Great effort by our @aussieboomers . Who was our best player? For me @Joeingles7 .He Scored, distributed the ball and played D.

Oh and @matthewdelly has a very bright future. People forget he still has one more year left at St Marys Uni in the states! #purePG

have to agree with him

Reply #374751 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

I think a large part of us getting outrebounded in this game was the fact that the US shot a lot of 3's. We often had numbers crashing the boards but long shots=long rebounds and they got a lot of thier O-boards away from the hoop.

I'm not saying our bigs weren't blameless but it explains why our 1&2 got significant rebound stats.

Reply #374752 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

im not sure why the defence on durant wasn't to get up on him and make him put it on the floor where you can clog up the middle at fiba more so than the nba. the guy is otherwise automatic from the 3, and you would rather a forced 2 than an automatic 3

Reply #374756 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Vart, I think you are talking about the present, in which case I agree with you, Patty is just an undersized SG.

I was talking with an eye to the future though. It just isn't ideal to have to play a guy with Patty's physical attributes at SG on offence and then have our guards swap assignments on the defensive end. Good teams will exploit this every chance they get.

Also, because Patty can't manage the point, it forces us to play both him and Delly, giving us a small backcourt and no guard depth.

Fast-forward a few years and hopefully we'll have some long, athletic guards who will give us much better scoring. Eg, Exum or Drmic or even Newley if he can find his shot. It would be nice to be able to start the best of those guys next to Ingles and just run one of Delly and Mills in the starting lineup (depending on whether Mills improves his PG skills).

Four years from now, if things go well, we could have Bogut, Simmons, Ingles, Exum and Mills as starters. That would be a very athletic lineup with good size, quickness and scoring.

Reply #374758 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Not for a second suggesting the result could have been different but the refs really seemed to do everything they could to help USA. We got called for some straight out nonexistent contact while some US players hammered our guys and got away with it. And the refs bailed them out on offense a few times as well.

There is an obvious gulf in class between the two teams but the ref's performance was still dispiriting.

Reply #374761 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

yeah agree Jez, many average calls in favour of USA, including one with the big ugly white Kevin throw Patty to the ground in front of the refs but no whistles was blown..if a Team USA player grunted on the bench they probably would have gone to the line to shoot

Reply #374766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Kobe had Rice on his mind for the first 3/4 before he got it going

Reply #374769 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Kobe has been on a diet of rice the past few days!

Reply #374771 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Fair enough Beantown. You're right, I was talking about right now. I like the prospect of that starting line-up, that would be something to see!

Hopefully Patty spends the next two years at Spurs learning all that he can about playing the point from Tony Parker and Pop.

It would certainly be in our long-term interests to go with that line-up and have Delly as the steady hand to come off the bench and settle things down when need be.

I know Simmons is 6'7' at the moment, but I was wondering (this is for those in the know at junior level) does he project to be a power forward in the future, or a big 3 man?

Reply #374772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vart, Ben SImmons is projected to grow to 6'9" according to an interview he did earlier this year as a result of scans on his wrists. He has stated that his favourite player is Lebron James and that is who he wants to model his game after.

Reply #374777 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Beantown,

I'm curious to understand why you see our guards swapping assignments on the defensive end as being possibly exploited by good teams?

Reply #374778 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anon^ I did see that interview. I guess LBJ played most of his minutes for USA at the four spot. So perhaps Simmons may do the same at the international level.

Reply #374779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah I think Kobes had rice on his fingers the first 3 quarters before he lit it up.

Reply #374783 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

@GordonLiddy, no doubt Ingles should accept an NBA contact if offered. I was basing my statement on what I think will develop his game -- especially for future Boomers campaigns. Ingles has been in form and consistent in this tournament, but that hasn't been the case throughout his career. I can't see his consistency necessarily improving sitting at the end of an NBA bench. A prominent role on a Euroleague team might better address that concern, continue to expand his versatile game in a FIBA competition, while remaining against some quality opposition. Of course Ingles himself would take other things into consideration, too. He is NBA quality, for sure, and the NBA is always nice to have on your resume. Either way, his performance during these Games should open up some opportunities for him. Great to see.

Reply #374793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I agree rjd, another year with a good spanish or euro club playing more minutes than he did last season would develop his game before going to the NBA, where he might just ride the pine if he would get signed for this season.

Reply #374795 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You also have to wonder the odds of him being released for this coming season, Barcelona would prob ask for a pretty big buyout.

Reply #374807 | Report this post

Port  
Years ago

Coach K: "Mills has had an incredible tournament, he's one of the best", I'm assuming he meant one of the best throughout this Olympics, but a very good recognition from one of the better coaches going around.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/aiming_for_gold/2012/08/08/usab_krzyzewski_postgame.nba/

Reply #374811 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Always amusing how the best team gets the most help from the refs.

Mills is Australia's Iverson and Delly's Nash lmao.

Reply #374838 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Isn't that reflected by their respective impact at St Mary's? Mills was a standout with some big individual performances, but Delly made his teammates much better with even better results.

Reply #374839 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Delly picked up 2 fouls in the first quarter that's why he was sitting when Baynes checked in.

Maric was a bit of a let down all tournament. Would also have loved PC to slide into the lineup a little more than he did when Delly was sitting.

Add Bogut for Maric, Jawai for Neilson and possibly Markovic? or any other PG for Gibson and we are in pretty good shape.

Reply #374871 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I'm a bit dubious about how realistic we are being by judging the Boomers with Bogut being added to the mix. He hasn't played for the Boomers in 4 years and has had repeated injuries that limited his playing time generally across those years.

Does anyone know how he's going with his recovery and conditioning after the broken ankle? Do we think he'll come back a stronger, less injury-prone player?

I'd like to see him out there but am not sure where he stands, now. How keen is he to play international basketball, or does he feel like the risk of another injury that curtails his professional career might be too great? Has anyone seen any reporting on his future ambitions and how they affect playing with the Boomers?

Reply #374875 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The great thing Bogut brings is an intelligent, big and reasonably athletic anchor to the aggressive defence that is our natural style and that we need to play.

Offensively, Goorjian showed in 2008 that he is best when left to play a little bit, not pigeon holed like he has been in the US.

Bogut will be a big help, and if Beveridge is the next coach I think he could really cut loose.

Reply #374885 | Report this post

smoovy  
Years ago

Well the bookies 33 point spread was spot on the mark. Not surprised in the least to see the way this one panned out.

Reply #374888 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

Reply to Johnny_sack.

When I was younger I always thought the Aussie chant was:
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, fight, fight fight.
I think this sounds a lot better and is more appropriate that would fire up any Aussie team.
Oi, oi, oi is just embarrassing after a while.

Reply #374895 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

lol, i was watching and the usa guys frustrated with actual defense continually led with their forearm and pushed off players. happened every minute of the game.

also, i saw so many players, especially james push off shoulders for rebounds. i know its really easy to do ( by accident) against shorter guys cause ive had that trouble. just before you leap you go to make contact and you find their shoulder with your palm just before you leap. refs shouldve called that everytime.

Reply #374922 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

lol , i had to laugh at westbrooks defense on delly that lead to that big run in the fourth.

was going windmall arms at delly. maybe caught the ball eventually but was way way heavier contact then newley and the rest of our team were getting called on for their on-ball defense.

im very very proud of the boomers.

us kept their a team on the court 98% of the game really.

as already mentioned was maybe 2 hot runs by the us to push the score out and one of those runs was based solely on horrific umpiring ( in relation to its consistancy to what was being called in-game) mentioned above.

and all without our best player.

Reply #374923 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

i do have to say

ingles, great work. star

delly, future. such a gun. put his hand up for nba.

baynes. stood up for me. work with delly was special.

newley, great to have a guy with his athleticism who can blow past players. gives us something else and his length and speed on defense helps us with matchups.

mills. great work to be the go-to scorer. as others i like him pairing delly at the 2. that pairing going forward is going to be special.

anderson, great mid-range shooting touch!

Reply #374924 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

In all honesty. What nationality was the grey haired ref? It seems USA get a ref of their own every Olympics that helps them out

Reply #374929 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Big Ads,

1) In transition, if our PG and SG are playing on a different man on offence, to whom they have on defence, there are a few more secs needed to find their man and good teams can take advantage of this confusion.

2) With a smaller backcourt (Delly @ 6'4" the biggest) teams with a bigger backcourt player are more likely to be able to take advantage of mismatches.

Now I'm not saying Delly or Mills have been bad defensively, but at times Mills lack of size in particular has been exploited.

What I am saying is that in an ideal world, the future Boomers team would find a bigger, more athletic starting guard that would address this weakness.

So if you interchange Delly and Mills at PG, rather than play both together, you open up that SG spot to a bigger, more athletic player.

That allows us to put some pressure on passing lanes with two long wing players, improves our ability to protect the defensive glass and hopefully also gives us a backcourt player who can drive and score in traffic in the halfcourt and also make the open three.

(A big part of the reason we get stagnant offensively is because in the halfcourt, neither of our guards is a serious threat to score at the rim, so teams can play up on them and force them to drive into trouble).

Of course, this all depends on Mills improving his PG skills, because as of now he is purely a SG with good ball-handling!

Reply #374953 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Beantown, the guard you've described sounds very much like Dante Exum, so it will be interesting to see how he can fit into the mix. Currently plays mostly PG, but is 6'4", and a super athlete with long arms. Will be interesting to see if he grows to somewhere around the 6'6" mark over the next couple of years.

Reply #374972 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yep, Exum is exactly the guy I'm thinking about. You'd think he'd grow a little bit since he is still only 16 or so. His dad was taller than that.

Hoping Simmons ends up about 6'9-10 too. He looks like a super athlete and it would be great to have an athlete with enough size to start at PF for us alongside Bogut. All of a sudden, we don't get pushed around on the boards like we have been and we are well and truly in a game like the one we just lost to the US.

Reply #375046 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:11 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754