Anonymous
Years ago

Mills may be in trouble because of flag

Australian Olympic team Chef de Mission, Nick Green has said that an Aboriginal Flag being displayed at the Aussie Village belongs to Patty Mills.

No political propoganda is allowed to be displayed during the games and it seems Patty will be asked to remove the flag and explain his actions.

What are your thoughts? An Australian boxer wore a T-Shirt withe the aboriginal flag on it into the ring for his first fight and issued an apology. I honestly think there is nothing to apologize for.

Topic #29013 | Report this topic

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

It isn't a national flag and in international eyes it is pushing internal politcal agenda which we can't have at the olympics.

I think if you open it up to one you'll starting opening everyone with an agenda

Reply #374847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy's proud about his heritage, good on him.

Reply #374854 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

I support Patty flying the Aboriginal Flag 100%.

Aboriginal Flag is one of many Official Flags of Australia..should we ignore the history of this country and force indigenous australians to accept a flag bearing the union jack as their flag.no we shouldn't

The IOC has long had a dubious history in the nations it supports and allows to compete (look at Germany in 1936, head of the IOC opposing calls for Rhodesia & South Africa ban due to the apartheid).

there is a very good article on this and the IOC on the website below.
http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/51794

Reply #374855 | Report this post

Michael Anderson  
Years ago

Thats not true because he's hanging it over his balcony in the olympic village and not displaying it during competition so he's not gonna get in trouble at all. What he's doing is not political and the Aboriginal flag is an official flag of Australia.

I often wonder what would happen if all Indigenous sportspeople in the AFL, NRL and Olympics boycotted sport at the same time until a treaty (like the one in New Zealand) was signed, how long would it take for the Aussie government to sign one?

I reckon one week.

Or what if Patty didn't play for Australia until the government compensated his mother for being forcibly taken from her family.

I reckon there is a place in sport for making political statements.

Reply #374856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ironic now he has to say sorry...

Reply #374857 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Agree Michael Anderson

Reply #374859 | Report this post

These athletes are fully aware of the rules and the team (AOC) expectations and this is one of the rules. Hence the boxer getting into trouble.

Regardless of where it is "Hanging" he knows the rules and has chosen to go against it. Same as Nick Darcey with the guns photo in the USA a few months back.

Im not saying he should not be proud of his background, but just be smart about it and hanging it out side his room is just asking for trouble.

Poor form

Reply #374862 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it's a load of crap. It's hardly in the Olympic spirit to punish someone for showing pride in the indigenous people of a country that is competing.

Reply #374867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hardly see how being proud of aboriginal heritage and displaying an official flag of australia is anything like posing with guns in the US? Nic D'ary is a knob head, in fact what was more concerning was his terrible assault and then declaring himself bankrupt following a judgement of damages to the victim, he should have been banned for life from competing for australia at the olympics.

Reply #374870 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

You are comparing someone who is proud of his heritage displaying his flag with two twats holding guns???
F@*k me...your kidding aren't you?
Don't you have a clan meeting to get to!?!?

Reply #374873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What flag? It was an extra quilt cover he brought over coz we know it is so cold in London. It just happened to be the Aboriginal Flag and he spilt water on it and put it outside to dry!!!

Seriously this is away from the competition arenas, is not on TV - I have no problems with it.

So where does this stop - people can't compete if they have politically incorrect tattoos?

What about the country that finally allowed women to compete for them. Two female athletes, made to walk behind the men in the opening ceremony and had to compete basically fully clothed. I take my hat off to them for the courage to compete in such an environment.

Reply #374874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please dont comment on the "stolen generation" unless you have the full facts of what actually happened.
The number of children forcebly removed from their home pales in comparison to the number of children voluntarily handed in by their families to avoid persecution from their own people. The term "stolen generation" is a political generated term that is abused by to many people and should only be used by those who were actually seperated forcebly from their families.

Regardless of this the Olympics is not a place for political movements of any type..and should never be so. While saying that I dont see how an Aboriginal flag would be considered to be a politically motivated symbol.

Reply #374877 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

How would we feel about it if it was a Chechen representing Russia hanging the Chechen flag out? Or a Palestinian representing Israel to put out a flag with the Shahadah on it, which Hamas supporters often use?

It's a tricky question. It raises memories of Tommy Smith, Peter Norman and John Carlos on the dais in Mexico in 1968. At the time, that caused a furore for the Olympic organisers, back home in the USA and Avery Brundage (US Olympic Committee) was apoplectic.

In historical context, though, it certainly had an impact in raising awareness of the USA black civil rights campaign more broadly across the world. Personally, I saw Peter Norman's support for Smith and Carlos as one of Australia's finer moments at those games.

If Mills wanted to make a point and risked condemnation from the Olympic hierarchy for hanging the flag out, then good on him. As for the Olympics transcending politics and this damaging its credibility in that context, don't say it out loud or Jacques Rogge might burst an aneurysm from laughing too hard.

Reply #374879 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

He should be allowed to show it!

Reply #374881 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Those comparisons are poor ones because the aboriginal flag is recognised and accepted in Australia.

And let's not pretend the swimmers did anything wrong by posing with guns, that was a load of crap too.

Reply #374882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not about being proud of your heritage, it's about the rules. There are many countries competing in the Olympics that have this issue for instance Spain with the people from the Basque region, Turkey and Iran with the Kurds, Sri Lanka with the Temals etc. Many of them are in violent conflict so a ban on any other flag other than the country you represent is there to stop visual propaganda that can be offensive or incite other athletes into retaliation.

Even though the Australian government has in a sense 'reconciled' with the Aboriginal community, unfortunately the Aboriginal flag is viewed under the same light by IOC officials as propaganda even though it isn't because it's not the official Australian flag.

Reply #374886 | Report this post

Whitey  
Years ago

Dont miss the point here. Hooper got warned the other day, and ALL the athletes know the rules.

Regardless of any athletes heritage he is in breach of the rule.

Reply #374887 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Last comment re stolen generation sounds like Piers Akerman or Keith winshuttle. Not sure where these facts could've come from.

Reply #374889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hanging the flag over the balcony is totally different to wearing/displaying it while competing. Would this be an issue if it had been the boxing kangaroo flag ??

The two female athletes referred in Anon 4874's post above were included in the team because the IOC had threatened to ban the country from competing if females were not included in the team

Reply #374891 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

We all know 'it's the rules', so that isnt a valid argument. It's about whether displaying an officially recognised indigenous flag over the balcony in the Olympic village should be against the rules.

There are arguments for an against, but I dont think it should be if officially recognised by the government of the country in question. I can understand it not being allowed in official arenas and during competition, but I think it is different in the village.

Reply #374892 | Report this post

A long history at the Olympics of flag flying, protests, etc.

Rules are the rules.

If Patty didn't know that rule, pray the Olympics aren't held in Saudi Arabia anytime soon. The 1st ""dry" olympics, with 100's of athletes thrown into Saudi jails???

While the IOC are as corrupt as Vic coppers in the 80's, they make the rules. The original idea was that politics/war/trouble at home was forgotten - that's why Patty can't fly his "quilt" at the Olympics.

As someone else posted, allow one to do it, everyone will do it.

Reply #374893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny that there was a person in a BOXING KANGAROO suit sitting next to Laurie Lawrence - an official member of 2012 Australian Olympic Team in the role as Team Mentor - during the game against USA.

During World War II, the BOXING KANGAROO became a national symbol in the Royal Australian Air Force, when during 1941 boxing kangaroos were stencilled on Australian fighter aircraft of the No. 21 Squadron RAAF based in Singapore and Malaya to differentiate their aircraft from British planes. The practice soon spread to other units, as well as onto ships in the Royal Australian Navy.

As the BOXING KANGAROO became a symbol on our aircrafts, in a political situation, couldn't this be construed as "political propoganda"?

Thus, what was Laurie Lawrence - an official member of 2012 Australian Olympic Team - doing sitting next to "political propoganda"???

Reply #374896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so it would be ok for a competitor with an other countries background displaying the flag of his Heritage ?

Maybe it was on a quilt cover that got water on it so hung outside to dry

Reply #374897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a beat up, if true no sensible person should have a problem with what Patty has supposedly done.

Reply #374900 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

If someone had a tattoo of the aboriginal flag, would the rules require them to cover it while at the Olympics?

Reply #374901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i see a lot of flags with the boxing kangaroo on it, is the an official flag!

Reply #374904 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

I was under the impression Patrick Mills was representing Australia at the Olympics, not indiginous Australians. Therefore, the IOC recognised flag for Australia is the only one that under the rules can be displayed.

While there are many situations where it is appropriate to promote proudly one's heritage, the Olympic rules do not allow so. Imagine if Suzi Batkovic and Alex Maric both decided to promote their heritage by wearing or displaying Serbian flags, which they have as much right to do so "ethnically" as Partick Mills has.

They represent Australia and they don't, so why is it any different for a person of Indiginous Australian descent to be able to break the rules?

There is a time and place where everyone can express their pride in their heritage - just needs to be the appropriate place.

Reply #374905 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Because Mills' descent is from the country he is representing? Maric's isnt.

Reply #374907 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

#896 You will find they did it to stop the red dot in the Australian markings looking similar to markings on the Japanese Zero. To be mistaken as a pom was far better then being mistaken for the enemy.

Reply #374909 | Report this post

S21  
Years ago

Stuff the rules. Good job Patty.

Reply #374912 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Had it in relative privacy and it's a positive flag. Save Patty!

Reply #374915 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

not sure how you make a comparison between a recognised official flag for australian heritage as the aboriginal flag is and flags from your quote "violent" conflicts.

Reply #374916 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

there is nothing "political" about it.

no more points have to be made.

the aboriginal flag is accepted here in australia and we celebrate the part of aboriginals in our history.

there is no conflict in this, hence, no politcal statement is being made.

therefore, there should be no issue.

doesnt take a genius to work it out.

Reply #374918 | Report this post

The Key  
Years ago

Don't worry Patty, they forgave Kathy for the same thing. But if you wanted to make a real statement then you should have boycotted altogether, and not played under the Union Jack.
I wonder how many athletes from other countries actually know what the flag was... or cared? So obviously it was designed to get our attention.. Or maybe you left your towl out to dry on the balcony.

PS I have no problem replacing the union jack with the aboriginal symbol next to the southern cross. It's about time we stood on our own two feet.

Reply #374919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What an absolute joke, this shouldn't even need to be spoken about, I fail to see how the aboriginal flag can upset anyone.... With the boxer it was a different situation team uniform had to be worn, it wouldn't matter if he had a t-shirt with a boxing kangaroo or even the Aussie flag it had to be OFFICIAL team uniform.... But hanging up an aboriginal flag that's another matter, it's not political it's his heritage and no Australian should ever get offended because by being proud to be an aboriginal means your proud to be Australian

Reply #374926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ushiro: Might want to re-check Batkovic's heritage and try again......

Reply #374927 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

i dont see any problem with it. he can even carry it everywhere.

i dont know how it became political when aboriginal flag is legally hanging in every school around the country. i just dont get it.

Reply #374928 | Report this post

Singlets  
Years ago

We all love Patty so most people dont see a problem, If Nick D'Arcy was aboriginal and did it would it all be the same.

Rules will never be agreed to by everyone but they are the rules and all participants know that.

Yes it may be an official flag, but it is NOT the official Australian flag to which all athletes are representing.

It is simple, why try to over complicate it

Reply #374938 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

I stand corrected, according to Wikipedia, Suzy Batkovic is of Croation descent whereas an article I saw sometime ago said she was of Serbian descent. Big difference in Balkan politics.

However, the analogy I was making still stands. It isnt your background or heritage that you are representing, it is your country you are representing that matters in regards to the rules pertaining to the "flag" you fly at the Olympics.

"Singlets" sums it up pretty well.

Reply #374948 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

hate

Reply #374954 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Patty's tweeted that everything is OK re flag. Unless there's been an update since then.

Reply #374974 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Agree Japorms, the Aboriginal Flag is an official australian flag representing the first peoples of this country, its not some break away unrecognised far right separatist political movement espousing hate.

Reply #374999 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Just hope they don't send him home in disgrace (lol)
He has done Australia proud

Reply #375003 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Great article from John Pilger.

http://www.johnpilger.com/articles/how-the-chosen-ones-ended-australia-s-sporting-prowess-and-revealed-its-secret-past

Reply #375142 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Mountain out of a molehill. Big deal.

Reply #375189 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

What are the 'rules' regarding athletes running the track with their flag after winning a race?? Cathy Freeman waved both flags after her victory in 2000.. Have things changed since then? Seriously how is this considered political propoganda???? Yawn...yawn..

Reply #375193 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

So Ushiro...."However, the analogy I was making still stands. It isnt your background or heritage that you are representing, it is your country you are representing that matters in regards to the rules pertaining to the "flag" you fly at the Olympics."

So please explain to me what country is the Aboriginal flag from?

"I was under the impression Patrick Mills was representing Australia at the Olympics, not indiginous Australians."

I'm really confused, because you say he is meant to represent Australia but not Australians...So are you saying he should be representing Britain???

Reply #375405 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:23 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754